Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honor Beckett View Post
    Hello all--

Throwing my admittedly amateur hat into the ring to say I agree with those who doubt that Jack suffered from schizophrenia--it does seem a less likely idea, considering the lack of treatment available in the time period, that he would escape detection, and that he would be functional enough to not draw undue attention to himself. I also have a bit of experience with people afflicted with this condition, and it is true that when medicated one generally won't notice much wrong with them, but unmedicated it is very clear that something is amiss. I tend to believe that Jack might have been somewhere in the antisocial personality disorder/psychopath continuum--it seems well documented that those who are can be highly functional, as well as charming and manipulative, which would only help Jack lure his unfortunates in.

Cheers!
    --Honor
    You are quite right about the charming rogue-the psychopath-being able to lure women,con people ,steal ,embezzle etc but I never ever heard of one doing quite such wierdo stuff as Jack----that really is more the psychotic.
    Its a great mistake to think that the paranoid schizophrenic in the throws of a psychosis looks odd or strange to your avarage man and woman in the street.The person looks pretty normal.Thats how they escape undetected.Moreover,if a killer, they do not usually commit murder in a wild behavioural state but in an ice cold,[in cold blood]detached /out of body ,state of mind .No joy is had out of it,though maybe satisfaction ,that they have done what was "required".That is what I understand usually happens.

Comment

Working...
    X