A.P. Wolf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.P. Wolf

I just read Jack the Myth by A.P. Wolf. Am I the only one who finds his work insulting to real researches like Rumbelow, Begg and others? I wonder why his book is filed here on casebook instead of just letting it rot to history? Any Ideas? I personally think he revised his book to insult Donald Rumbelow because it got a bad review and instead of blaming his lack of research in all facets of the book he has to blame others. Any comments?

Jack the Myth

It is so long ago I read the book I can't remember what it was about, I believe Cutbush was the choice here. I'm sure he did the very best he could.

As to whether the book is bad or not I think that depends on the individual assessing it, as do all works of creation.

A book that I think is bad may be loved by someone else. There's only one author I know who has been universally condemned and that is Krazy Karen.

Comment

Not true, Bob. There are a thousand sock puppets who loved it!

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

But I liked it. You know, I still think Cap'n Jack is really mystery writer, Elizabeth Peters.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
          But I liked it. You know, I still think Cap'n Jack is really mystery writer, Elizabeth Peters.
          Well when Cap"n Jack gets into the swing or rather "spirit " of things, he either writes like an angel or sups with Beelzebub ---but one things for sure he aint no redneck and there"s never a dull moment.
          Its a great book---a bit tongue in cheek but what the heck ----Cutbush might well be our man yet!

Comment

I don`t have the book but going by A.P.`s posts on Casebook I will definately get a copy sometime, as he is one of the most entertaining wordsmith`s here.
            A controversial and interesting writer.

Comment

Interesting debate I had.

I teach History and have had some interesting debates with my A level class over the use of opinion and theory by Historians. It was in the context of teaching them the importance of backing up statements in essays. I used the arguement that Cambridge United are the greatest football team in England and they had to try and prove me wrong. Where as I may not agree with Wolf's ideas (and I am not saying that I do or don't) he does provoke an interesting reaction with his theories and gets us all questioning our own ideas.

My class came to the conclusion that being able to back up ideas are not enough and that there has to be more than just theory and ideas. There must be some semblence of evidence or sense to an arguement, not just arguement for arguements sake.

That being said CUFC are the greatest team ever!!
              In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Well in my vacant defence I can but quote a god:

'The book is most interesting in that it views the Ripper from a refreshingly new perspective. Mr. Wolf brings to bear data derived from an examination of the twentieth-century serial killer and uses it to construct what it is modern to call a psychological profile of the innominate one. Such latterday practitioners as Ted Bundy, David Berkowitz, Richard Chase, Edward Gein, William Heirens, Joachim Kroll, and Peter Sutcliffe provide useful type-specimens, and the author's unusual slant and provocative theorisings seem to hit home quite convincingly. He disputes the notion of the Ripper as a sex killer. He believes that Elizabeth Stride was killed by her live-in lover Michael Kidney, but would extend the Ripper murders canon to include Martha Tabram, as a kind of dummy run.

Ripperologists (horrid word) in general, and Colin Wilson in particular, come in for some slashing knife-work worthy of the old eviscerator himself. A look at Mr. Wolf's novel analytical methodology is instructive, and can, I think, prove only beneficial to those who may perhaps have hitherto taken too strong an intellectual root in the received mythology.'

When a god speaks it is wise to pay some attention.

Comment

Ok...............

Sorry if I am being dim but which God is this??

Comment

I haven't read Jack the Myth since it came out, what, 15 years ago. I don't specifically recall the attacks on Wilson et al., but I remember enjoying the book quite a bit. Must get around to reading it again soon.

Comment

I've NOT read AP Wolfs book.

However I have read Cap'in Jacks posts on casebook, often I find myself disagreeing with him, sometimes I find his posts?*?* well, off track, perhaps bizarre?

But always entertaining

I think I should purchase this book..

Cutbush? naah..but an interesting idea.

The Tuther Pirate

Comment

Kat,

The quote comes from a review by the dean of Ripperologists, Richard Whittington-Egan.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I see!

Comment

fido

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
                            Sorry if I am being dim but which God is this??
                            well as God is dog backwards it must be Fido!Well! Well!

Comment

You can read it right here http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media....fulltext.html

Thank you for the free e-book, Casebook.

AP, I salute you and your posse for the hard research put in. Honestly, my complaint would be about form. Structure. But again, thanks for bringing the story of Cutbush to us.

Roy
                              Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
                              X