Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death Of Abraham Radin!!!

Hello Ripperologists!!!

Does anyone out there in the casebook consortium know of the cause and date of death of George Chapman's first British employer Abraham Radin?
    if that information is not known, how and where could someone
    request that information?

Thank again for any and all assistance in these matters!!!
    Last edited by THESTUDIOPRODUCTIONS; 10-20-2008, 08:36 AM.

I haven't been able to find him (or Ethel/Aphel/Hetta, his wife) after 1891, where he appears in that year's census (see also here, for a photo of his shop - courtesy of Rob Clack). Abraham Radin's marriage to Hetta (Strauss) was registered in 1886 at Mile End Old Town, and they went on to have two sons, Solomon (born 26th May, 1887) and Isaac (born circa 1889).

Their youngest son, Isaac, might have served in the Royal Fusiliers during World War I. Of the rest of the family, I've found no trace.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      I haven't been able to find him (or Ethel/Aphel/Hetta, his wife) after 1891, where he appears in that year's census (see also here, for a photo of his shop - courtesy of Rob Clack). Abraham Radin's marriage to Hetta (Strauss) was registered in 1886 at Mile End Old Town, and they went on to have two sons, Solomon (born 26th May, 1887) and Isaac (born circa 1889).
      This looks like the right couple. The death notices appeared in the Jewish Chronicle, 26 July 1935 (Ethel) and 5 August 1938 (Abraham). They were buried 23 July 1935 and 28 July 1938 in neighbouring plots in East Ham cemetery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EthelRadinDeath26July1935.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	655130Click image for larger version

Name:	AbrahamRadinDeath5Aug1938.jpg
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	655131

Comment

Oh !!!!!

Oh!!!!! The name of the man was really "radin" ????

In french it mean "greedy" !!!! Is it joke ????

Comment

This site, and it's members, never cease to amaze me with the amount of thurough information they manage to uncover and share so willingly.

Chris and Sam I thank you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            They were buried 23 July 1935 and 28 July 1938 in neighbouring plots in East Ham cemetery.

[ATTACH]3594[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3595[/ATTACH]
            Excellent work, Chris. I note that Isaac isn't listed amongst the bereaved sons, and I don't suppose it's too far-fetched to speculate that he may have perished serving his country in the Great War.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Excellent work, Chris. I note that Isaac isn't listed amongst the bereaved sons, and I don't suppose it's too far-fetched to speculate that he may have perished serving his country in the Great War.
              Yes, it may be. I believe there's a database of those who died in the Great War, though I've never used it.

There are some possible marriages for the other sons on FreeBMD. It appears that the youngest, Harry, died as late as 1988 at the age of 90.

I can't work out where the family was in 1901, though. I suppose the surname has been mistranscribed in some bizarre way.

Comment

Am I mistaken there or is Radin's age given differently? In 1938 he is listed as 73 and in 1935, the obituary says 74. Or does that refer to the age of the deceased wife?
                In heaven I am a wild ox
                On earth I am a lion
                A jester from hell and shadows almighty
                The scientist of darkness
                Older than the constellations
                The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Originally posted by Hellrider View Post
                  Am I mistaken there or is Radin's age given differently? In 1938 he is listed as 73 and in 1935, the obituary says 74. Or does that refer to the age of the deceased wife?
                  Yes, that would be Ethel's age.

Comment

Two things that might be related
                    1) A bankruptcy notice from 1916 and
                    2) medal details for Isaac Radin from WW1

The Times
                    21 June 1916

THE BANKRUPTCY ACT 1914
                    IN LONDON
                    RECEIVING ORDERS
                    Radin, Abraham (trading as Radin and Co.), Linthorpe Road, Stoke Newington, carrying on business at Old Street and at Crosby Square, Bishopsgate, E.C.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That bankruptcy info might have solved something that's bugged me for a while. It was said, by Wolf Levissohn I believe, that Kłosowski went to work at a barbershop in West Green Road Tottenham, owned by a "Mr Haddin". I've often wondered whether this wasn't just a mistake. "Mr Radin", of course, sounds exactly the same as "Mr 'addin" - so perhaps the scribe assumed that Levissohn had dropped an "H" and reinstated it in error, giving "Mr Haddin".

Since you've now located Abraham Radin in Stoke Newington, I made the Tottenham connection instantly, and checked where Linthorpe Rd stood in relation to West Green Road. Lo and behold, it's less than a mile away:

Click image for larger version

Name:	linthorpe.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	655136

On that basis, perhaps "Mr Radin" and "Mr (H)ad(d)in" were one and the same, after all.

Cheers, Chris
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Abraham Radin was naturalised in June 1901 (HO 144/623/B36155).

According to his memorial, he was then living at 140 High Street in the parish of Shoreditch, a subject of the Russian Empire, having been born at Wilna [Vilnius] in the province of West Russia on 16 November 1864, the son of [Milan? Milax?] Radin and Bella Radin, both subjects of the Russian Empire. He was described as a shop fitter. He was a married man and had 4 children residing with him: Solomon, aged 13 years, Isaac, aged 11 years, David, aged 9 years, and Harry, aged 2 years. His settled place of business was at 140 High Street, Shoreditch E, and he had lived at that address from March 1895 to the present time.

His sureties were Samuel Walton Terry of 27A Hoxton Square, Hoxton N, Henry Cornish, 77 Kynaston Rd N, William Thomas Norman, 97 Virginia Road, Hackney NE and John Bery, 381 Hackney Road NE. Each of them was stated to have known him for 5 years.
                        Last edited by Chris; 01-31-2009, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Radin's business partner at 7 Aldgate High Street was named Kallin.

This is presumably Abraham Kallin, who was naturalised in October 1896 (HO 144/397/B21736).

According to his memorial, he was then living at 5 Sackford Street, Clerkenwell Green in the parish of Clerkenwell; he was born at Wilno [Vilnius] in the province of West Russia on 26 January 1864, the son of Lebof Kallin and Hanah Rachel Kallin, both subjects of the Russian Empire. He was described as a Hair Dresser. He was a married man and had 2 children residing with him: Flora, aged 5 years, and Lily, aged 2 years. His settled place of business was at Toilet Saloon, adjoining Metropolitan Railway Farringdon Street Station EC. He had lived at 11 Osborn Street, Whitechapel E from January 1891 to March 1892, at 1 Whitehorse Alley, Cow Cross, EC from March 1892 to August 1894, and at 5 Sackford Street, Clerkenwell Green, from August 1894 to the present time.

His sureties were Bernard Van Praag of 80 Devonshire Road, Holloway, Thomas George Lamb of Highfield, Bletchley, Bucks and 61 Farringdon Rd ["his place of business", according to the CID report], Walter Thomas Tasker of 3 Cumberland Terrace, Lloyd Square, Clerkenwell and George Lloyd of 40 Cowcross Street, London EC. Each of them was stated to have known him for 5 years.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Chris.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                            X