The Ripper's route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ripper's route

I was wondering if anyone knew the most likely route Jack took from Berner/Henriques Street to Mitre Square, and what would be the most similar route to walk it now?

Hello Mickey

I don`t think we can guess which route was taken, but it is worth noting that when ( and if !!) the Ripper left Berner St just before 01.00am he had about 30 mins to pick up Eddowes and be at the entrance to Church Passage, so it is not likely that he intended to head directly to Mitre Sq from Berner St. He may have meandered back up to the Whitechapel High Rd / Aldgate where he may have met Eddowes by pure chance.

Comment

One of the two new facts Phil Sugden unearthed in his trawl through the contemporary sources was the fascinating sighting of a man in Backchurch Lane. So I suggest he most probably went up Backchurch Lane to Whitechapel High street and proceeded west to Petticoat Lane and up that way - if the same man perpetrated both murders, which I tend to doubt.
      Martin F

Comment

Hi Martin,

I believe the sighting in question occured at Church Lane; a short alley connecting Commercial Road with Whitechapel High Street, understandably confused with Backchurch Lane which ran paralell to Berner Street. Here's the former location from the 1894 O/S map:

Best regards,
        Ben
        Last edited by Ben; 10-04-2008, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Sorry: I tend to write a lot from memory when finding time to post on a trawl throughg a lot of boards, so I am open to plenty of correction!
          Martin F

Comment

Working...
          X