religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• religion

do you think that jtr could be a kind of religious fanatic? It would explain, to a certain point, the obsession with prostitutes (I know they were a easy target at 1888's east london, but so were beggers, drunks, poor people in general, and even children). And, depending on the religion you believe he was into, it could even explain the atempt to put the guilt in the jews. And, since it was, I believe, normal, as it is today, to connect religion with some sort of help and caring, it could explain why the victims went with him so quietly. Anyone?

Hello R.C.!

Welcome to aboard!

Would you also consider MJK's being a catholic as one reason for such extreme mutilations?!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

I know that Dr. Barnado has been suggested as a suspect and he was a bit of a religious fanatic. He wanted to get prostitutes off the streets. He is a suspect worth looking into. He used to preach on the street corners of Whitechapel and also spoke to Liz Stride before her death and identified her body. Not one of the strongest suspects but worth a look into. Suggested reading is Revelations of the true Ripper written by Vanessa A. Hayes.

Best regards

Adam
      Last edited by Uncle Jack; 09-23-2008, 11:49 AM.
      Best regards,
      Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
        [Barnardo is] not one of the strongest suspects but worth a look into. Suggested reading is Revelations of the true Ripper written by Vanessa A. Hayes.
        Better still, read a straightforward biography of Dr Barnardo. No disrespect to Ms Hayes, but Barnardo is really only worth reading about if you're interested in Dr Barnardo as an historical figure. I don't see much point in reading a pared-down and selective biography devoted in large part to speculating that Barnardo was the Ripper, when one can read a full biography and learn much more facts about the man.

In so doing, you might decide that whilst Barnardo almost certainly wasn't Jack the Ripper, he was the type of man who wouldn't have hesitated to make up a story about seeing a Ripper victim in a doss-house before her death, if he thought such publicity would advance his cause.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Sam,

I am certainly in agreeance with you concerning Barnardo as a suspect. My suggested reading was just in reference to him as the Ripper, in case R.C was interested in reading about Barnardo as a Ripper suspect. As a normal everyday man, a biography would certainly be more recommended. While I do not agree with Ms. Haye's theory, I think she wrote a good book.

best regards Sam

Adam
          Best regards,
          Adam

Comment

True, Adam - although it could be said, albeit somewhat waspishly, that the main reasons for advancing Barnardo as the Ripper stems from the rather mundane observations that (a) we've heard about him; and (b) he was there at the time.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Yes Sam, it does seem that Barnardo is yet another suspect who has come under suspicion because of who he is rather than anything evidencial, though if I was to choose one of many 'celebrity' suspects, Barnardo would be the one for me I personally don't see any of the named celebrity suspects as being the Ripper.

Best regards

Adam
              Best regards,
              Adam

Comment

Working...
              X