Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Jack`s local newspaper ?

Hello

If Jack was local and literate which newspaper would he have read ?

If he was following the case through the press, I can`t imagine him buying the Daily Telegraph or the Times, or perhaps he did as they offered detailed inquest reports ?

What would have been THE local paper for Whitechapel ?

It would be interesting to nail down the likely newspapers.

Der Arbeter Fraint, of course. Actually, I'd expect Jack to follow one or more of the papers with the indepth inquest coverage. I don't think it's ANY coincidence that the double event occurred right after the Nichols/Chapman inquests wrapped up. To be more specific, the paper(s) that erroneously reported graffiti in the Chapman case and a second murder the same night might also have influenced his choices later.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Dan Norder might have some ideas on this since he wrote an essay on how the papers might have influenced the Ripper for the last Ripper Notes. That essay might be available to read on www.rippernotes.com, but I'm not sure.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
        Hello

If he was following the case through the press, I can`t imagine him buying the Daily Telegraph or the Times, or perhaps he did as they offered detailed inquest reports ?

What would have been THE local paper for Whitechapel ?

It would be interesting to nail down the likely newspapers.
        I'd say "The Star".

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Cheers, Tom. I do think I read that as Dan attached it to a post regarding the influence of the press.

I would have said a cheap local paper, that would be lying around a lodging house or pub.

Comment

Jon,

They were all pretty cheap. Stride had a copy of the Star in her bonnet to help it fit. She probably picked that up at the lodging house.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

According to Jeremy Black, in a 1998 article written for the History Review, weekly newspapers - especially Lloyd's - were very popular with the working classes, as many of them would have found it hard to afford the penny a day levied by many of the cheaper dailies. The Star, costing half a penny, might have been a popular choice among the slightly better-off artisan, although the Echo was another ha'penny evening paper beloved by the masses.

We know that some of the better lodging-houses may have provided their residents with a supply of communal papers, although it's doubtful whether the likes of the Times and Telegraph would have been amongst them. Not only were they more expensive, at 3d or 4d each, but their somewhat sober reportage was of limited appeal, then as now.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

No question-Jack"s newspaper was The Times ! And Jack wrote a flood of mad letters almost filling Scotland Yard"s post bag with them.He wrote letters almost as often as he used that bowie knife! And he didnt6 confine them to Scotland Yard either-Lord Grimthorpe appears to have been one of Jack"s target group -being a Lord and all that- - he may even have got to see Jack"s " neat schoolboy hand ".

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  The Star, costing half a penny, might have been a popular choice among the slightly better-off artisan, although the Echo was another ha'penny evening paper beloved by the masses.
                  Sam,

I agree, the Liverpool Echo would be an obvious choice for him ...

Guffaw (why's there no Smiley for that?)

Soothy

Comment

Soothy (great name!),

Are you a Diary man?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

OK, here's a really naive question (I limit myself to 1.1 naive questions per annum) Here goes...

Stride had a copy of the Star in her bonnet to help it fit. She probably picked that up at the lodging house.
                      Is there any substance to this or is this a joke between Jon and yourself??

blushingly,
                      Nicole
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      "We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow."
                      - Ted Bundy

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                        Soothy (great name!),

Are you a Diary man?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                        Tom,

As has been evidenced on other threads, I am the last remaining diary-believer in diarydom.

Even Mrs Soothsayer has disavowed me on this one. My own beloved daughter (Susie, 9) thinks I'm one crack away from the 'seconds' shelf in Jenners on Princes Street.

Until the diary is nailed once and for all with the finest incontrovertible evidence money can buy, I shall continue to carry its torch - bravely, fearlessley, and without regard for my own safety ...

Comment

Hi all,

Instinctively, I would have guessed The Star. It was quite cheap, was in high circulation and over-sensationalised the entire Whitechapel murders (if that's even possible).

Nicole
                          "We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow."
                          - Ted Bundy

Comment

Hi Nicole. While Jon and I are known to share many a laugh together, this is not one of them. Stride did in fact have a copy of the Star (as opposed to The Bee) in her bonnet. I believe it was from Sept. 30th.

Soothy,

Good for you! Are you an AP Wolf fan?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

Stride did in fact have a copy of the Star (as opposed to The Bee) in her bonnet. I believe it was from Sept. 30th.
                              Let me get this straight. Did Stride have a copy of The Star in her bonnet on the night that she died?

Nicole
                              - Ted Bundy

Comment

Working...
                              X