How one man could've changed so much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How one man could've changed so much

Everytime I read something new about the Whitechapel murders I'm always willing Cadosch to shimmey up the fence and have a peak into next-doors yard! Isn't it strange how this one man, just by following an instinct he must've had, could possibly have seen Jack right in the middle of one of his murders, and therefore could've ended a century of debate, literature and film. Amazing how one man's quick decision can change so much.

Or maybe Cadosch isn't that significant to the rest of you

He didn't have to shimmy (if that's the word I want): the fence was less than two metres high. But, as I understand it, Cadosch was experiencing some gastro-intestinal difficulty that accounted for his two closely-timed trips to the outdoor privy. And, beside that, he had to get off to work. Were I in his situation, my reaction would have been the same: "Damn those noisy neighbours: I'm off."

Comment

Hi Elias,

I absolutely share you're frustration at Cadosche's failure to venture a peak over the fence, but I'm not sure how it would have "ended a century of debate, literature and film". Surely he'd have seen nothing more revelatory than a stranger cutting up a woman before scarpering on account of Cadosche's peaking, thus rendering the latter little more than another eyewitness to an unsolved crime series, albeit one who definitely saw Jack the Ripper?

All the best,
      Ben

Comment

Hi Ben,

Yeah I suppose it might not have stopped all the debate, I just feel that a lot of the intrigue and mystery of The Ripper being a faceless killer who did his crimes without a shadow of trace would've been lost had someone caught him right in the act.

Comment

Hi all,
          I definitely agree with Elias' point of view. I sometimes think of " what could have happened ? " if the young chum had climbed up the fence.
          Sure he'd have seen the man Jack but when he went for the second time in the yard, he heard a noise of a fall against the fence. I think it matches with Annie's strangling and lowering to the ground. He wouldn't have seen any ripping but may have saved Annie's life ( chances were slight but ... ) or at least would have disturbed Jack enough to make him turn his head toward him. Though it was early in the morning, sun was rising and the man Cadosch would have been then a precious witness. Not to mention if Annie survived ...
          Cadosch did'nt go over that fence but a lot would have changed if he did...

Comment

Well, I see what you guys are saying, but so what? If Charles Cross hadn't lingered over his morning cup of tea, if PC Watkins had walked his beat just a tad more briskly, if anyone in Miller's Court had peered through the window of number 13 at about 4 a.m..... The case is full of ifs.

Comment

I think the difference is that Cadosch was in a situation where it would not have been unusual to peer over the fence (human beings are curious after all), whereas Cross had absolutely no reason to do without his cup of tea because he could not foresee a murder would happen.
              In heaven I am a wild ox
              On earth I am a lion
              A jester from hell and shadows almighty
              The scientist of darkness
              Older than the constellations
              The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

From what he heard, Cadosch had no reason to suspect that something sinister was occurring in the next yard. Assuming he knew of number 29's reputation as a hangout for prostitutes and their clients, all he would probably expect to get by peering over the fence was a poke in the eye.

Comment

If I had to curse a witness that wouldn't be Cadosch, but rather Schwartz, who ran away when a woman was attacked.

Amitiés,
                  David

Comment

I bet the man was thankful he didn't come over the fence. I see no reason why Jack wouldn't have went to town on him too. At least one good slash to his neck. "Leave no witnesses" That's a loose end I wouldn't want to be. Mind ya business - poor guy that's what he was doing. "scampering to the privy"
                    "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

If he had indeed caught the Ripper "at it", there was at least the chance of Cadoche raising the alarm, and the killer being chased - if not caught - by an impromptu posse.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Sam

You mean if Jack would have taken off into a "get away mode"? I can see that if he would have ran off, he may have been chased. Than again it's flight or fight, and I still don't think I'd want to chance the fight.

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Blackkat View Post
                          You mean if Jack would have taken off into a "get away mode"? I can see that if he would have ran off, he may have been chased. Than again it's flight or fight, and I still don't think I'd want to chance the fight.
                          ...but then, Kat, you're not a bunch of East End geezers pumped up at the prospect of catching the Whitechapel "fiend". Unless Jack evaded them, which is always possible, I wouldn't have fancied his chances against that lot. If he had evaded them, then at least a number of people would've had a better look at him than most witnesses had, and in far better lighting conditions.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

oh so right you are. not a geezer pumped up for that. Uh uh No way. LOL

Comment

Cadosch describes the sound as if a great packing case had been laid against the fence. So..Either he thought that what it was or he made that up to ease his mind and make himself feel better.
                              I happen to think that was probably his first thought. How many of us expect to find a dead Womans body in your backyard or in your neighbors backyard today? Not me... I heard all kinds of funny noises outside my window last night. Not once did I become concerned that a Woman was dying.

Comment

Working...
                              X