Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have to write an article for a magazine about Jack, where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravenstone View Post
    I believe William Palmer - Palmer the Rugeley Poisoner - was the first murder trial heard at the Old Bailey, and indeed, the reason why murderers were tried away from the scene of their crimes.

The publicity is alleged to have caused the people of Rugeley to petition the Prime Minister to change the name of their town so they could get away from the evil connection. He said they could as long as they changed it to his name - Palmerston.

One of those stories that, if not true, should be.
    Ravenstone,

'Tis said that upon mounting the gallows, Palmer stopped, looked up at the rickety structure, and said to whoever was behind him, "Are you sure it's safe?"

I visit Rugeley regularly (well, we all have our crosses to bear...) and I can tell you that if you mention William Palmer to any of the denizens of that town, the response will be, "Hnnh? Who?"

Cheers,

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Nancyrowina,

In my honest and humble opinion, you should also mention that one of the reasons why the Ripper Murders received such notoriety is that they coincided with the rise of the popular 'tabloid' press, which laid on grisly details, some even true, of the murders, as they happened, with huge relish. This was lapped up by a growingly-literate populace, with equal relish.

I'd also be inclined to say something about the social unrest at the time, especially in the East End of London and certain other British cities in general. Only the year before mobs descended upon Trafalgar Square to demonstrate against working-class conditions, and were dispersed by a combination of police and the Army. It was (and perhaps still is in some camps) felt that the Ripper Murders were someone's rather over-the-top way of drawing attention to the plight of the working-classes in the East End.

One final, small point: the past tense of 'hang', as in the method of execution, is 'hanged' rather than 'hung'. But then, I'm just a pedant in such matters.

Best of luck with your article.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
        One final, small point: the past tense of 'hang', as in the method of execution, is 'hanged' rather than 'hung'. But then, I'm just a pedant in such matters.
        ..."pendant", surely?
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          ..."pendant", surely?

Nice one, Sam.

If you care to hang around, there's more good noose on the subject if I care to open my trap. Sorry to keep you in suspense.

Cheers,

J Ketch

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            If you care to hang around, there's more good noose on the subject if I care to open my trap. Sorry to keep you in suspense.
            OK, (pierre)point taken. Let's agree to berry it there, shall we?
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              OK, (pierre)point taken. Let's agree to berry it there, shall we?

Another nice one, Sam.

Yours,

Ketch me when you can.

Comment

Working...
              X