X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Now now PI, if you're going to denigrate the "incontrovertible" thread and it's purpose, I suggest you head over there and have it out with Ike. I guarantee if nothing else, he'll give you a run for your money.

A more literal translation, "now now PI, if you're going to denigrate the Maybrick Diary and it's quality as source material, I suggest you contribute to the "incontrovertible" thread, where Iconoclast will debate any point you care to make, you may not be swayved by his answers but he'll openly debate any point you make. Ike doesn't venture far on these boards, so you'll have to take the discussion to him.

I think I would rather not.

I had some exchanges with him on Who were they?

​He was unable to substantiate his claim that the term 'one-off' was already in use in 1888.

He also suggested that the murderer originally put Kelly's breasts on the table, then moved them, and then forgot he had moved them​ - in order to explain why the diary repeats the mistaken newspaper report that the breasts were found on the table.

But to return to my comparison of the Galveston story to the Maybrick Diary, the narrator in both cases makes no mention of any route taken, any street name, the time, the date, the conversation he had with his victim, any interruption, nor anything that might be termed inside information.

In the Galveston story, assuming it is the Nichols murder, why is there no mention of Lechmere's approach and the murderer's disappointment at not being able to finish the job?

If it is Tabram's murder, does his description of it seem apt when he had stabbed his victim 39 times?

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

So lacking in detail that it could almost have been quoted from the Maybrick Diary.
    Now now PI, if you're going to denigrate the "incontrovertible" thread and it's purpose, I suggest you head over there and have it out with Ike. I guarantee if nothing else, he'll give you a run for your money.

A more literal translation, "now now PI, if you're going to denigrate the Maybrick Diary and it's quality as source material, I suggest you contribute to the "incontrovertible" thread, where Iconoclast will debate any point you care to make, you may not be swayed by his answers but he'll openly debate any point you make. Ike doesn't venture far on these boards, so you'll have to take the discussion to him.

Leave a comment:

• PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1
    replied
    Originally posted by evilina View Post

Galveston Daily News
    Texas, USA
    6 December 1897

CONFESSED JACK THE RIPPER
    TALE OF A SEA COOK WHO SAYS THE CONFESSOR WAS A CRAZY SAILOR

"I reached Whitechapel district late one night and met up with a woman, who joined me and we went into a dark alley. There I killed her. The body was mutilated and left to lie in the cold. I escaped. No officer seemed to get on my track, and the idea came to me that it would nice to kill a few others.

So lacking in detail that it could almost have been quoted from the Maybrick Diary.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Nicole and Realdeal

Thanks for that stuff. I could be wrong here, but I think that right from the start the British press assumed the two murders were by the same hand, so it's interesting to see doubt expressed.

This is from the Chronicle Oct 24th 1924, about the retirement of Det-Insp Scholes. Two murders in the same street is a new one on me.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• nicole
    replied
    Hi all,

From The West Australian News, 2 Oct 1888 in the foreign telegrams section (spelling mistakes and all)

THE MYSTERIOUS MURDERS IN
    ? ENGLAND.
    TWO MORE VICTIMS.
    London, Sept. 30, 6.30 p.m.
    At 2.20 p.m. to-day, a woman, ap-

parently abont thirty-five years of age,

was discovered murdered at the junction

of Leadenhall and ¦- Feuchurch- streets.
    Her body was completely disembowelled
    and the nose severed from the face.

About an hour earlier another woman

was found with her throat cut from> ear

to .'ear, in the backyard pf a honse in
    Berner streets
    '?"¦¦'-'? 03.0 p,m;
    There is .intense excitement in . the
    city concerning the fearful murders re-

ported to-day. v The horrors of the Ald-

gate innrder totally eclipse the details

of those which took place in Whitechapel.

As yet no arrests have been made. It

is doubted if the Berner street murder

belongs to the same class as the others

Nicole

Leave a comment:

• realdealrep
    replied
    Take a look at what http://www.nambour-chronicle.com is doing. It's an archive of the Nambour Chronicle & North Coast Advertiser first published in 1903.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Debs and AP

I'll start a thread in a minute.

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Good stuff Robert! Look forward to the new thread.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Interesting, AP. Yes, please open a separate thread.

TTC had his stuff sold off on 29th Feb 72, prior to decamping to Oz.

Robert

Leave a comment:

• Cap'n Jack
    replied
    Absolutely fascinating, Robert... a very valuable link indeed.
    There is something uniquely sinister in the way that TT Cutbush has his wife - or wives - repeatedly advertising for young servant girls to work in their home on Tasman Street.
    They start off with 16 year old girls, and then ask for 14 year old girls.
    Fascinating. Is this how he met his future brides? Or did some of these girls disappear?
    Perhaps we should move this to a Cutbush thread?

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Thanks Mike. Rootschat is a great site. Membership is free, and there's lots of things on there.

Robert

Leave a comment:

• Mike Covell
    replied
    Robert, I stumbled upon this thread on Roots Web.

It has several listed Australian Newspaper Archive's listed.

Hope it helps.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Thanks for that link, Debs.

There was a New Zealand site I used to visit. It was hard to search because it hadn't been digitised. I hadn't visited it for ages, till today. On going to my favourites list I found the link broken, as often happens. However on Googling and relocating it, I find it's now searchable, and that TTC's 3rd marriage took place in NZ. And look at the dates on these reports : TTC didn't hang around!

PS the bloody rose sniffers have followed me out there.

EVENING POST 19th JULY and 26th SEPT 1870.

Robert
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mike Covell
    replied
    EE Ba Gum Lass! It were Reet Good, I found loads on that Deeming Lad!

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Glad it was useful! I'm sure there's a lot more to come on it, JTR reporting seems to be a bit light on there.

That's how I found the site AP, looking for Australian archives that might have more Cutbush info. Not read through all the reports yet though.

evilina, I've added a bit more on the Brame story to the thread started by Chris Scott.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X