No announcement yet.

Slags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word simply means what someone intends it to mean...

The fact that you do not understand their language is an ancient biblical paradox.

'Slag' for instance can be used as a term of abuse. But amungst some members of the Gay community in UK it is seen as a term of affection.

It depends how the word is used and projected, it could equally be used as an insult?

Its how it is said, not what is said..(thats why typing this is crap)

In kent I gather that the word 'slag' is sometimes used to infer young men who have been in and out of jail alot...

Nothing to do with prostitution...

RE: Supernatural

Of course I've heard the likes of Norders sinicism before..and as I've said I've never seen or experienced anything supernatural having spent five years working in such TV programs..

However, i have tryed to set up programs on 'Sleep Paralysis' and 'Astural projection'.

For me the human mind is far more surprising and unpredictable than anything raised by the supernatural or the X files esq...mind blowing..

I keep an open mind and my feet on the ground.

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
      A ueful verb, indeed.I and all Corsicans ****Sarkozy.

ps: Linda, our son is now in the best (catholic) school in Addis, waiting for the the day French diplomats will not be droïds.
      That is why I am there and it is a good step (since he came from Somali boarder).
      Meilleures pensées pour toi (and I will always inform you).
      Mon ami David, I'm still sending up the prayers.

Maybe slags is a good description for those French diplomats.
      Last edited by Celesta; 08-02-2008, 04:33 AM.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
        Hiddy-ho K,

Your image of slag is exactly what comes to mind when I think of slag and lava is a descriptor that pops into my mind!

I was wondering if the term might be related to sluggard?

You're right of course about the Ouija being a matter of opinion. I just had a bad experience with it. Weird night that was.

Best to you.

Cel

Somewhere I have a lovely little chunk of slag from the dump near Pittsburgh, which is flat and glasslike on the bottom, and then kind of looks like different "layers" as you go up from there. Used it as a paperweight for years; it's been misplaced after a move (um, 20+ years ago), but I expect it still lurks in a closet around here someplace.

The only time I've ever touched a Ouija board myself, it was not a good experience. I don't claim to anyone that this is empirical evidence of anything, only that I was creeped out bigtime, and won't have one in the house. I'm sure that for some people, they may as well have played Monopoly in the end, just as I'm sure there are more than just the two of us who had a bad experience with one and don't care to chance repeating it.
        ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

I have a feeling that the gals pushing the planchette around, were just having fun. Gals is slag backwards. I played around with Ouija boards when I was little, perhaps about the time I stopped believing in Santa Claus.

We would make ourselves believe all kinds of things were being told to us. I'm an adult now.

Cheers,

Mike
          huh?

Comment

Just read that slag could also refer to Tea bag which is London cockney rhyming slang for an unpleasant person.

Comment

Tea leaf = thief

Comment

Originally posted by Khanada View Post
                Somewhere I have a lovely little chunk of slag from the dump near Pittsburgh, which is flat and glasslike on the bottom, and then kind of looks like different "layers" as you go up from there. Used it as a paperweight for years; it's been misplaced after a move (um, 20+ years ago), but I expect it still lurks in a closet around here someplace.

The only time I've ever touched a Ouija board myself, it was not a good experience. I don't claim to anyone that this is empirical evidence of anything, only that I was creeped out bigtime, and won't have one in the house. I'm sure that for some people, they may as well have played Monopoly in the end, just as I'm sure there are more than just the two of us who had a bad experience with one and don't care to chance repeating it.
                Yes, that's slag. It's a fairly broad term, I think.

As for the Ouija incident, it was an unpleasant experience. There were only two of us. Neither was spoofing. I advise caution.
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

The Sweeney's doin 90 cos they've got no where to go
                  They get a gang of villians in a shed up by Heathrow...
                  It's cool for cats

The Sweeney were always using the word slag to mean a villian.

Comment

....ah yes,I remember it well!!!!

Great cop series of the 70's....

Comment

Celesta is completely right about the Ouija board...

Should be used under caution...if anyone has any reason to use one at all.

Good point,Cel

Comment

Hi All,

My dad used to tell a spooky story (supposedly true) about some relatives of his who once used a Ouija board to ask something about a female family member's upcoming marriage. The answer kept coming back M O U L D Y.

She died before her wedding day.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                          My dad used to tell a spooky story (supposedly true) about some relatives of his who once used a Ouija board to ask something about a female family member's upcoming marriage. The answer kept coming back M O U L D Y.

She died before her wedding day.
                          I know it's traditional for a bride to be late, Caz, but that's taking it a bit far
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Sam,

Indeed. And I can think of better ways to avoid being taken up the aisle too.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                            X