Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save Bancroft Library

Hi All,
    For some months past,The Whitechapel Society has been actively supporting the 'Save Bancroft Library' campaign. There is a chance that the unique collection of archives used by many researchers (including Jack the Ripper authors) will be split up & distributed around various venues instead of being housed under one roof. It is vitally important that we save The Bancroft Library from this terrible situation and offer all the help we can give. Please read the Newsflash below and support the Bancroft!

Thanks,
    Frogg Moody

NEWSFLASH

SAVE TOWER HAMLETS LOCAL HISTORY

LIBRARY & ARCHIVES AT BANCROFT ROAD

Downing Street has approved an e-petition calling on Gordon Brown to support the East London Advertiser's campaign to save the Bancroft history library and archives.

After almost a month's deliberation, Number 10's web team accepted the application on Tuesday. It calls on the Prime Minister to "promote and preserve the heritage of London's East End by providing funding to refurbish the threatened local history library and archives in Bancroft Road". Tower Hamlets council has proposed selling the former Mile End Vestry Hall to Queen Mary University, which wants to lease the building to the Wiener Library and its Holocaust archives.

Supporters are urged to "sign" the petition via the Bancroft campaign section of the East London Advertiser’s website at www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk or at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Bancroft-Road.

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS REQUEST TO SIGN THIS PETITION TO AS MANY CONTACTS IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK AS POSSIBLE.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

Signed the E-Petition, and was a little shocked to get an email from Number 10 Downing Street! Mr Brown should be at work me thinks!

The link actually said "We are experiencing a high volumne of visits!!"

Fingers crossed!

Good luck!!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Cheers Mike - lets hope we can get a good reaction to all this. WS Members signed a petition of support at our last meeting and Adrian Morris has highlighted the issue in his editorial - available in the August WS Journal publication.

Cheers,
      Frogg

Comment

I will copy and paste the press release onto my Local History Forum in Hull. My friends are against library closures and you never know your going to need it until it's too late!
        Regards Mike

Comment

Nice one - cheers Mike!

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the heads up.

Petition signed.

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Me too signed up - and so should everyone else with an interest in the history of the East End.

coral

Comment

Petition signed. Miss Marple

Comment

Couldn't they close Number 10 instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Couldn't they close Number 10 instead?
                    I have a dog kennel that P.M. Brown could use, only 1 previous owner, with great views, and en suite facilities.
                    Regards Mike

Comment

Mike, I vote we pack him off to live with Chinese President "Huge gin, ta."

Anyway, back to the petition....

Comment

Well done guys, the list is getting longer as we speak!

Comment

There is only just over a week to go to sign this petition.

Even if you will never be able to visit the Bancroft Library - please support the campaign.

It is vital for the East End

It only takes a minute.

Coral
                          Last edited by coral; 08-22-2008, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Anybody who uses this site, for whatever reason, owes a debt to Bancroft Road Library somewhere, no matter how little, or how far down the years.

I believe that anybody interested in JTR and the East End (whether they are published authors or mere pickers, as I was in the 1980s) deserve such access. The staff are second to none, accommodating, and often willing to go the extra mile.

Tower Hamlets (as it became) is an area rich in history. Everywhere needs a history archive and this one most certainly does.

If you haven't already done so (I don't care which country you come from), sign up!

Ripperology would never be the same without a trip (no matter how quick) to Bancroft Road.

JB (giving it large)

PS Sorry about all the brackets

Comment

I signed the petition, but it wasn't accepted until I chose a selection from the drop-down. The only one even close to accurate was "expatriate". Don't they believe that non-Brits use the collection? Nitwits.

Comment

Working...
                              X