No announcement yet.

Smoking in 1880s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly a single woman like Stride would consider fresh breath an asset in attracting men regardless of whether or not she was soliciting. So smoking needn't have been a factor.

c.d.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hereditary_hemorrhagic_telangiectasia.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	838892

-- Thanks for this! But I can't ignore that this lip, while unusual, is still perfectly symmetrical. What has happened to Stride's??

All good wishes,

Mark D.
      (Image of Charles Allen Lechmere is by artist Ashton Guilbeaux. Used by permission. Original art-work for sale.)

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        Certainly a single woman like Stride would consider fresh breath an asset in attracting men regardless of whether or not she was soliciting. So smoking needn't have been a factor.

c.d.
        Since there is no evidence that Stride was out soliciting cd, and there is circumstantial evidence that she was dressed and accessorized much better than an average street walker would be, the mints could be because she had a cleaning job to begin, or she had a date to meet.

But I doubt that the mints were to mask any smoking smell either way, I think they were enhancements...not concealmints.

Comment

Since there is no evidence that Stride was out soliciting cd,....

Maybe she was soliciting and maybe she wasn't. But as you know that is not a requirement for being a Ripper victim so it is kind of a moot point.

What we don't know is what her response would be if approached by Jack. But then you already knew that, right?

c.d.

Comment

Working...
          X