• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshall's notes are amusing :

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by RockySullivan View Post
      I'm not sure if there is anything better than sitting back and smoking a pipe on
      a rainy day with a hot cup of coffee and a billie holiday record spinning. It beats
      sex, heroin, everything

I must be smoking wrong if it beats sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Qlder View Post
        No, GUT. If Rocky is finding smoking better than sex, it's not your smoking that isn't quite right.
        Well one of us is sure doing something wrong.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I don't know if smoking weiner counts gut lol but in all seriousness sex is sticky, smelly and messy. there is something to be said for being fresh and clean, sitting back and enjoying a peaceful contemplative smoke

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
            I don't know if smoking weiner counts gut lol but in all seriousness sex is sticky, smelly and messy.
            Only when done right.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Lol these days sex is probably more cancerous than smoking. Does anyone else feel like the world woud be a better place if smokin was allowed indoors because everywhere would have excellent ventilation with industrial power fans and ****. Everywhere I go there is zero ventilation, and it's disgustings, public transit, restaurants, business you cant smoke so they don't need to ventilate and it's it's just nasty everyone coughing and sneezing with no fresh air. But sorry for getting off topic. I'd love to know what Pipeman was smoking. There was even that story related to the ripper case where a Pipe was smashed and it was lamented that if the pipe hadn't been destoryed the tobacco could have been used to trace the killer. I forget where the story originates possibly Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Only when done right.

I'm currently regarding my pack of cigarettes with suspicion. I think I'm too scared to crush the little menthol ball in them now, God knows what might happen.

Comment

What connects smoking a pipe with women's hairdressing salons?

Comment

According to the excellent Kate Summerscale in "The Wicked Boy," by 1895, there was public outrage over boy smokers. For a penny, a boy could purchase five cheap tobacco cigarettes, called "fags." Roll-you-own tobacco was even cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                      Being a pipe smoker I love the references to pipe smoking in the ripper case. Pipeman, the watchman who smoked his pipe, clay pipe Alice, the pipe in Kelly,s room. British pipe tobacco is the tops. I'm always curious about what blend pipeman was smoking in his pipe that night? A Latakia blend? An aromatic? Something like Ogden's St Bruno or rich dark honeydew?
                      And the Cachou found in Stride's hand is linked to smoking.

Cachou was advertised and marketed primarily to women, as the perfect companion to a woman who chose to smoke; to take away the aftertaste; but in a classy way.

Shortly before Stride was murdered; she had the Cachou and had either...

Just had a smoke herself
                      Just kissed a smoker

In other words; the action of smoking had just occurred and/or used as a ruse to distract her momentarily.

We have Schwartz's Pipe man
                      We have Lave going outside to get some fresh air
                      We have Goldstien passing the site with his empty black bag having alleged to have contained cigarettes
                      We have Parcelman...

who IMO almost certainly had a parcel containing cigarettes/cigars...

One of the above; Parcelman, Lave, Goldstein, Pipeman engaged with Stride.

Interesting that only one of the 4 men listed above was seen talking to Stride.

The Cachou found in her hand was more of a clue than has ever been realised.

RD

"Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

[QUOTE=The Rookie Detective;n838875]

The Cachou found in her hand was more of a clue than has ever been realised.

Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia - Wikipedia

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5204.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	838884

Medication that she picked from Sutton's palm.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by DJA; 07-29-2024, 11:53 AM.
                        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5204.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.9 KB ID:	838884

Hi Dave,

I hope things are okay.

-- Can I ask what you think of the strange shape of Stride's lower lip? I don't see that HHT produces ​that kind of severe malformation.

Thanks,

Mark D.

(Image of Charles Allen Lechmere is by artist Ashton Guilbeaux. Used by permission. Original art-work for sale.)

Comment

Just had a smoke herself
                            Just kissed a smoker

My understanding is that cachous were used to freshen one's breath in general. Smoking being just one reason. So I don't see the above as a foregone conclusion.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by mark j d View Post
                              click image for larger version name:	image_5204.jpg views:	0 size:	49.9 kb id:	838884

hi dave,

i hope things are okay.

-- can i ask what you think of the strange shape of stride's lower lip? I don't see that hht produces ​that kind of severe malformation.

Thanks,

mark d.
                              Still alive.OK for an old coot born in the first half of last century.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hereditary_hemorrhagic_telangiectasia.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	838892
                              Last edited by DJA; 07-29-2024, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Just had a smoke herself
                                Just kissed a smoker

My understanding is that cachous were used to freshen one's breath in general. Smoking being just one reason. So I don't see the above as a foregone conclusion.

c.d.
                                "At the time of her death Elizabeth Stride was wearing:
                                • Long black cloth jacket, fur trimmed around the bottom with a red rose and white maiden hair fern pinned to it. (She was not wearing the flowers when she left the lodging house.)
                                • Black skirt
                                • Black crepe bonnet
                                • Checked neck scarf knotted on left side
                                • Dark brown velveteen bodice
                                • 2 light serge petticoats
                                • 1 white chemise
                                • White stockings
                                • Spring sided boots
                                • 2 handkerchiefs (one, the larger, is noticed at the post-mortem to have fruit stains on it.)
                                • A thimble
                                • A piece of wool wound around a card

In the pocket in her underskirt:
                                • A key (as of a padlock)
                                • A small piece of lead pencil
                                • Six large and one small button
                                • A comb
                                • A broken piece of comb
                                • A metal spoon
                                • A hook (as from a dress)
                                • A piece of muslin
                                • One or two small pieces of paper

She is found clutching a packet of Cachous in her hand. Cachous is a pill used by smokers to sweeten their breath."

No pipe or tobacco.

Comment

Working...
                                X