The Ninth of November 1888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ninth of November 1888

Not the date itself, but the painting by William Logsdail.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    A beautiful painting.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
      A great bit of artwork that I'd never seen before.

Thanks Joshua

Comment

Just to clarify, that is the name of the painting???
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Yeah it is. Its described as being painted in 1890 and on display at the Guildhall art gallery in London.

Comment

Comment

Can someone refresh my memory: Mary Kelly talked about this event to a friend, but I forgot what she said.

Comment

I've seen it before and it is a lovely painting. Horrible to think Mary wouldn't live to see this or any other Lord Mayors Show. Still a great deal of pomp and circumstance about the Show even today in the 21st century.

I think Mary just mentioned to a friend that she was looking forward to going to the Lord Mayor's Show, didn't she?

Comment

That's right, Rosella. She apparently told Mrs Prater on Thursday morning "I hope it will be a fine day tomorrow, as I want to go to the Lord Mayor's Show"

Sadly she didn't get her wish.

Who knows, if she had attended, we might be able to see her face in the crowd. But then, we'd probably never have even heard her name.
                  Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 05-12-2016, 04:04 AM.

Comment

I wonder, if any of our police experts are reading; judging by their helmets, am I right in thinking the two policemen on foot are from the City, but the one on horseback is from the Met?

Comment

Logsdail seems to have though that Walter Stickert was a bit of a nutter.

In the book "William Logsdail of Lincoln (1859-1944)" published by Usher Art Gallery, it mentions some of Logsdail's memoirs (which I believe have never been published in their entirety).

Apparently Logsdail was in Venice, when Stickert turned up and began to paint, dancing around his canvas, making a great energetic show of painting. An American man watched him for a while, then picked up a button that was laying on the pavement and said "Excuse me, Sir, I think this has worked itself loose."

Comment

The street looks very wet. Did it rain for the Lord Mayor's Show that year?
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

It rained heavily in the morning but pretty much stopped once the procession was under way.

Comment

According to this report "wet til 11am, then overcast"

David beat me to it.
                            Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 05-12-2016, 12:13 PM. Reason: PS

Comment

Thanks to David and Joshua for the information. Looks like a factual representation of the event, then.
                              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                              ---------------
                              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                              ---------------

Comment

Working...
                              X