Dr. Bond and FM (No Static At All)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Bond and FM (No Static At All)

Regarding the marks on the wall in No. 9 Miller’s Court, which some see as initials, secret writing, etc.

Dr. Thomas Bond describes the marks on the wall--twice. There is no mystery whatsoever: the thin lines are arterial blood spray.

From Bond’s report, 10 November 1888. HO 49301C/21

“In the Dorset Street case, he must have attacked from in front or from the left, as there would be no room for him between the wall and the part of the bed on which the woman was lying. Again, the blood had flowed down on the right side of the woman and spurted on the wall.”

Bond’s second report, 16 November 1888, sent to Robert Anderson, is even more blatant. MEPO 3/3153. ff. 10-18

“The wall by the right side of the bed & in a line with the neck was marked by blood which had struck it in a number of separate splashes.”

Pretty difficult to talk your way around that one.

Horrifically, Mary Kelly was alive and conscious when attacked. Had she been strangled to death, her heart would have stopped beating, and there would have been no blood pressure. As her throat was cut, she attempted to jerk her head away, and this led to the up and down pattern on the wall. Such patterns are not uncommon in knife attacks when the victim is struggling.

And it is, of course, inconceivable that Bond, writing privately to the Home office and to the Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, would have failed to mention a message written in blood—had there been one.

As for Kelly being throttled, there is no reason to suppose this. Knife wounds frequently leave bruising on the edges, and the arterial spray disproves any suggestion of strangulation.

Now that we have that settled, let me suggest a musical interlude. "F.M." by Steely Dan. "Feed her some hungry reggae..."

The initials and Baphomet's statue so many hidden messages in one small room.
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Comment

So when did Walter Sickert do his "portrait of the artist" on the wall?
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
        Regarding the marks on the wall in No. 9 Miller’s Court, which some see as initials, secret writing, etc.

Dr. Thomas Bond describes the marks on the wall--twice. There is no mystery whatsoever: the thin lines are arterial blood spray.

From Bond’s report, 10 November 1888. HO 49301C/21

“In the Dorset Street case, he must have attacked from in front or from the left, as there would be no room for him between the wall and the part of the bed on which the woman was lying. Again, the blood had flowed down on the right side of the woman and spurted on the wall.”

Bond’s second report, 16 November 1888, sent to Robert Anderson, is even more blatant. MEPO 3/3153. ff. 10-18

“The wall by the right side of the bed & in a line with the neck was marked by blood which had struck it in a number of separate splashes.”

Pretty difficult to talk your way around that one.

Horrifically, Mary Kelly was alive and conscious when attacked. Had she been strangled to death, her heart would have stopped beating, and there would have been no blood pressure. As her throat was cut, she attempted to jerk her head away, and this led to the up and down pattern on the wall. Such patterns are not uncommon in knife attacks when the victim is struggling.

And it is, of course, inconceivable that Bond, writing privately to the Home office and to the Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, would have failed to mention a message written in blood—had there been one.

As for Kelly being throttled, there is no reason to suppose this. Knife wounds frequently leave bruising on the edges, and the arterial spray disproves any suggestion of strangulation.

Now that we have that settled, let me suggest a musical interlude. "F.M." by Steely Dan. "Feed her some hungry reggae..."

This also all points to a left handed man.... or as an outside possibility, ambidextrous. I believe rj that in addition, I think that it suggests she was facing the wall on her side when that happened. Lets suppose she knows the person who kills her, and he is in the room with her when she takes that position...favoring the right hand side of the bed, facing the wall. I think that suggests a level of intimacy between the 2 that is not casual in nature.
        Michael Richards

Comment

Hello R.J.,

Sorry, but I don't think we have entered smoking gun territory quite yet. This will probably get me on Ike's Christmas card list but there exists the possibility (even if remote) that Maybrick (solely for the sake of argument) didn't write anything on the wall but noticed the F.M. likeness as we do and thought "well damn, the fates helped me leave a message all on their own."

Also, could Bond have been able to discern if someone helped form the initials even if just a little by lightly pressing into the blood with the tip of his finger so that no fingerprint showed? In other words, most of the initials had formed naturally but he simply helped them along.

Just playing devil's advocate. I still think what appears to be initials are simply pareidolia

c.d.

P.S. Ike, as we get into December I will send you my address so you can get that Christmas card in the mail.

Comment

Not really answering the subject matter,but in reference to whether it was a right or left handed person,could not the stabbings on the ripper victims have been performed with two hands clasping the weapon?

Comment

Blood spray undoubtebly hit the wall (I think it's actually a door to be technically correct), I have not read anywhere where that is disputed. He obviously hit an artery or two during his "work"

The room had no natural light when it was entered by the police. Liklihood that before even the window was stuffed with dirty rags, the window itself was full of dirt and grime. The room wa situated towards the back of the property on lower level, surrounded by walls blocking good quality natural light into the room. Natural daylight was not a friend to this room. Combine this with the grime and dirt accumulated in the room, I would wager not everything on the walls was easily or readily visible to the naked eye. However, when a flash goes off it tempoirarily illuminates a dark scene. Hence why some things are often only visible on camera images as the temporary intense light shows them up.

Under light from the fire and candles, he probably felt the markings were sufficently obvious but by daylight the blood had dried into the dark wall and became less visible to the naked eye.
              Last edited by erobitha; 06-03-2020, 11:14 AM.
              Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
              JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                Not really answering the subject matter,but in reference to whether it was a right or left handed person,could not the stabbings on the ripper victims have been performed with two hands clasping the weapon?
                So, prior to Kelly and using the Canonical Group we have Nichols stabs and Annies, also Kates. I don't believe any of those wounds were suggested to have been created by a detected substantial force, which you would get with using 2 hands. And considering he is using 1 hand to slice, cut and excise, so its probably not realistic he used 2 hands to stab.
                Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
                X