Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the old school. sadly missed.

Comment

It's difficult to know what to say just now. I'm still taking it in. With John, I worked with Robert for a long time, more sporadically in recent times. I never met him or knew what his voice sounded like. But the three of us enjoyed a massive and wonderful correspondence.

These last couple of days, I've been looking through some of it. Visiting with him, I suppose. Like his posts here, his emails are full of helpfulness, insight, warmth, and his terrific humor, which was sometimes too intelligent and English for me to grasp.

He elevated our research and conversation, always finding many of the pieces of our jigsaw puzzle that we were working on. He was a friend.

More than that though, I know that he was devoted to his family. What they must be going through right now.

My condolences to them. And to all of you here. It's a profound loss, a hard loss.

David O'Flaherty

Comment

Just seen this. I’m very sad to hear this news.

Comment

I’m never sure if all Casebook members are also members of JTRForums but Howard is going to be giving an annual research award in Robert’s name which I think is a great idea.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I can't currently access Forums, is it down again?
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
              I can't currently access Forums, is it down again?
              Ive just accessed the new look JTRForums Dusty. I couldn’t earlier on though. Looks like Howard wouldn’t answer the door as he and Nina were moving the furniture around

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

An update to the thread over on JTR Forums :

If people here would like their remarks on this thread shared in the piece I'm putting together for our dear, late comrade in research, let me know via email ( provided at bottom).

Information concerning the sending of flowers and the funeral itself may be found here :

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I've been away from Casebook for a few months until a week or so ago and have only just noticed this thread. Like many others I never met Robert but his thoughts on the JtR murders were always well-argued and made with good humour. You could disagree with Robert but you never fell out with him. In fact I don't think anyone did. The research award in his honour is a fitting tribute. You will be sorely missed, my friend and, like everyone else, I am deeply saddened at your passing.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                  X