Site maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site maintenance

Hi folks - sorry about the downtime today, there was a software exploit in vBulletin which allowed a "hacker" to replace the home page of the forum and main Casebook site for a time. We have restored the site from recent backups and have patched the exploit we believe was used in order to cause this disruption. The site should be back to normal now but if you notice anything strange please let us know here.

On behalf of everyone and their brother, great work Stephen !!

Comment

Originally posted by spryder View Post
      Hi folks - sorry about the downtime today, there was a software exploit in vBulletin which allowed a "hacker" to replace the home page of the forum and main Casebook site for a time. We have restored the site from recent backups and have patched the exploit we believe was used in order to cause this disruption. The site should be back to normal now but if you notice anything strange please let us know here.
      I am sure that it involved a lot of time and hard work and I thank you for that. That hacked banner threw me for a loop. I kept thinking of that line from "Lost Weekend" where Ray Milland says "it's a terrifying problem, Nat, because if it's dawn, you're dead, the bars are closed and the liquor stores don't open until nine o'clock and you can't last until nine o'clock. Or maybe Sunday, that's the worst. No liquor stores at all." Didn't realize how attached I am to Casebook.

We all appreciate what you and Ally do. Thanks again.

c.d.

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Great work
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thumbs up to Admin. Great job.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

That was quick. Well done!

Comment

Yes great work -- but the hacker was a disappointment, he had an opportunity; he could have used a Ripper meme and waited two days for the 30th; obviously not a Ripper fan.

Comment

Stephen, I notice the link to A.P. Wolf's "Jack the Myth" no longer works. Is the full text of this book gone for good? It seems like a pity if it is. Thanks.

Comment

I'm going back 15 or 16 years here, so my memory may well be playing tricks, but I seem to recall AP posting up each chapter as he wrote it, on the discussion forums (it was a revised edition).

Comment

Thanks, Robert. I should have realized it was still on-line somewhere. This must be the 2006 'revised' edition that A.P. sent out over the airwaves, because I notice he mentions Patricia Cornwell's 2002 book in Chapter One. It's a pleasure to re-read A.P. barrage of ideas after all these years.

Comment

I understand some members are having problems logging in after the outage this morning.
                        Admin is aware. Please be patient.

Thanks

JM

Comment

Test.

Comment

Thanks! Was a little worried there for a time. Thought I must have said something atrocious and got banned!

Tristan
                            Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Working...
                            X