It is reported that Martin Fido passed away on April 2nd a sad loss

18 October 1939 (age 79)

Penzance, United Kingdom
    April 2, 2019
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts, US
    University lecturer, writer and broadcaster
    True crime writing and broadcasting
    Murder After Midnight,

A true star has fallen from our firmament. Rest In Peace, Martin; thanks for the insights and the laughs.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

RIP Mr Fido. Enjoyed watching my first Jack the Ripper documentary with you as host- the 1988 JTR centenary.

Comment

One of the greats. RIP.

Comment

This is sad news. There are many experts on the case these days but when I first became interested in the case there was a select ‘top table’ of real experts....Don Rumbelow, Robin Odell, Stewart Evans, Paul Begg (to name but four) Martin Fido took his place at that table. He’ll be sadly missed for his contribution and the engaging enthusiasm he brought to the presenting of the case.

RIP Mr Fido.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

"Can we forget about that kidney?" That is a lasting memory from when Martin Fido took me on a personal Ripper tour through the East End many years ago. We were discussing the Eddowes kidney, and Martin was not very happy about it. A truly warm person with a measure of energy and enthusiasm that is probably unrivaled among the people I have met over the years. We had a beer together after the tour, and Martin was all fired up about the many new fields he would explore after he had left the Ripper behind, one such field being to prove that there was never any white slave trading, if I remember correctly.
            Of course, he never got to leave the Ripper behind, and I think many of us should be thankful for that - he was a true source of inspiration and he must have gathered a fair number of case students along the road.
            So now he knows, and we don't.

Comment

Very Sad news, Martin and Paul's books in the late eighties, are the two works which got me hooked on the case.

Comment

Sad news indeed, I would like to offer sincere condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace, Martin.
                Last edited by bolo; 04-05-2019, 03:23 PM.
                ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

We held seminars at The City Darts, appeared on late night radio, and together toasted the health of Tom Cullen on the 100th anniversary of Millers Court. Martin had a wicked sense of humour and there was never a dull moment when you were in his company. Martin will be missed. RIP my old friend.
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Very sad news indeed. My sincerest condolences to his family and loved ones.
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

A comment I made on other JTR related groups :

Who knows, maybe in the near future, we will have a 'Martin Fido Award', for example, to recognize annually the person who contributed the most to the improvement of Ripperology.

Comment

Rest in peace Martin Fido. It was your book that introduced me to Jack the Ripper and started me on a decades-long search for the identity of this artful dodger of a killer. Hopefully, you are now in that place where all is known, where answers to all the world's mysteries can be found, where at last you learn the true identity of the man we've searched for these many years. Will you be able to say, "Aha, I was right all along," or will your response be a bewildered "Who?"

Dr. John Watson
                        "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                        Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Rest in peace Martin Fido. A highly respected author, and true heavyweight in the field of Ripperology.

Comment

Happier times.

9th November 1988 [I can't remember the venue].

Click image for larger version  Name:	09 11 1988.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	705219

[L-R]—

Simon Wood, Martin Fido, Tom Cullen, Paul Begg, Keith Skinner, David Anderson + [off camera] Donald Rumbelow and Robin Odell.

Respect.

Simon
                            Last edited by Simon Wood; 04-05-2019, 08:47 PM.
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Simon.

JM

Comment

Working...
                              X