"Sexually Insane" revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sexually Insane" revisited

What does Sir Melville mean by "sexually insane" as he applied it to Druitt? Google Books has some further citations now. From The Medico-pharmaceutical critic and guide (1911):

"Sexually insane" here clearly does not mean "homosexual." It appears to refer to someone with an overactive hetero-sexual appetite. In fact, this meaning would make perfect sense in Macnaghten's report re: Druitt.

Another clearly heterosexual usage. From How to Help One's Self by Charles Fremont Winbigler (I kid you not!), 1914.

And this from the Medical Herald of 1895. Again, a heterosexual usage:

Comment

Blimey, these experts! Possessed with a devil? Elegant recovery?

Comment

I was wondering which "appendages" were removed!

On a more serious note, it appears that what Sir Melville might have been saying regarding Druitt is that he had a very abnormally high (hetero-) sexual appetite, perhaps as evidenced by engaging prostitutes. This would certainly bolster the case against him in a way not explainable by positing him as a homosexual. Such as usage of "sexually insane" is more in line with Macnaghten's characterization of the Ripper as suffering from "sexual mania" in his memoirs.

This picture of Druitt is not exactly what most of us envision of him. However, our picture of Montie is based on comparatively little information. Perhaps this is even the root of the "serious trouble" he had got himself into with Valentine. Perhaps he brought a prostitute back to his chambers at the school.

Comment

Not that I'm an expert in such matters, but I always understood the term 'sexually insane' as used by MacNaghten to mean an habitual masturbator or self-abuser. Anyone caught wanking in those days was likely to be kicked out of one's house/public school/the Army/a job, etc., etc.

Did they have jazz-mags in the LVT - anyone know?

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I pass this one along with but little comment. From The Pathology of the Mind by Henry Maudsley (1890):

The late Dr. Skae described, under the name of sexual insanity, a form of acute dementia met with according to him both in the male and female sex, but more often in the latter, which he believed to be produced by the mortil and physical effects of sexual intercourse upon the nervous system. There is some reason to think that habits of excessive self-abuse have been the cause of a similar form of derangement sometimes in persons of feeble constitution and highly nervous temperament
            The examples which I have given will serve to exhibit the general features of acute dementia, and to indicate the favourable character of the prognosis. The mental functions are abolished for the time by reason of some severe shock to their nerve- centres, and the abeyance of them is shown by the expressionless countenance of the patient, his passive attitude of body or meaningless movements, perhaps by an occasional aimless and confused excitement, by his inability to understand what is said or to say what can be understood, and by loss of general sensibility. If recovery does not take place soon, as in most cases it does, there is danger lest the disease pass into chronic and incurable dementia.
            (emphasis added)

Dementia? Like mother????

Comment

Dementia? Like mother????
              Blimey, did Mrs D. compulsively flick herself off? Or was the learned Dr Skae suggesting that a couple of good shags could send you loopy?

We should be told.

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

...and... Excessive Venery, Masturbation and Continence (how's that for a catchy titile?) by Joseph William Howe (1887):

Acton says : " In some patients, rash and even criminal acts are the result'of the idea that an atonement may thereby be made for the sin committed. The attempt to injure the genitals and similar extravagances often, I believe, arise from such insane fancy while, on the other hand, extravagant masturbation or the tendency to commit rapes or unnatural crimes may be in some cases traced to the not less insane desire the sufferer feels to test and to prove to himself or others that he is not impotent." Acton thinks that many of the cases of sexual insanity may be cured by appropriate treatment. Dr. Ritchie and other authorities give an unfavorable prognosis in all cases. From my own investigations I am strongly of the opinion that a perfect cure is impossible, and that when there is an apparent amelioration of the symptoms, lasting perhaps long enough to buoy the hopes of those related to them, they suddenly return to their old condition of hopeless dementia. The cases of sexual insanity that have come under my own observation have been most difficult to manage. The patients usually have lost all moral sense. Their will power has succumbed to the most brutal instincts. The drain on their nervous system is kept up by nocturnal pollutions. They are consequently not amenable to the usual methods of treatment pursued in other forms of the same disease.

Dr. A. E. McDonald says : " In a general way, I may say that the two causes of insanity named are much less potent (in my experience) than they get credit for. They are far oftener effects, than causes of the insanity.

" When they are undoubtedly the causes, the insanity resulting (generally Primary Dementia in the case of onanism, and General Paresis in the case of sexual excess) is usually incurable under any known system of treatment."

In reference to the same point, Dr. E. C. Spitzka says : "Where masturbation is a pronounced feature some writers use the designation ' insanity of masturbation." In reality the masturbation, although a frequent accompaniment, and perhaps a result of hebephrenia, is not its cause, however much this habit may ultimately modify the character of the psychosis.
                (emphasis added)

Comment

A Treatise of Practical Instructions in the Medical and Surgical Use of Electricity by S.E. Morrill (1882):

Satyriasis.

This is unquestionably a sexual insanity. It is a morbid amative passion, nearly allied to nymphomania in the female, and from similar causes. There is a chronic inflammation of the sexual organs, causing abnormal appetites. This inflammation can be reduced with less difficulty than chronic inflammation of the stomach, because more accessible to the local application of electricity. The disease is more common than is generally known, except to the wives of men who are afflicted with the complaint; they have actual knowledge of it. Many a poor woman has been murdered and is now in her grave. These facts are known to many physicians, but they know of no remedy to cure satyriasis. There is one in electricity, if it be applied as for other sexual diseases.
                  (emphasis added)

"Local application" of electricity!!! Yipers!!!

Comment

Andy, by that phrase the folks then could have meant one of three things, excessive mastrubation, over-sex drive, or homosexuality. He never married. I don't know if that means anything. Would hate to make a guess.

If McNaghten pegged Kosminski's illness on self abuse, but labelled Druitt sexually insane, then he must have meant one of the other two reasons for MJD.

Roy
                    Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 06-25-2009, 05:18 AM.
                    Sink the Bismark

Comment

My, my; you boys seem to have very unusual home medical libraries!

That line about removing "appendages" (???) scared me the most.

Yikes! Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                        Andy, by that phrase the folks then could have meant one of three things, excessive masturbation, over-sex drive, or homosexuality. He never married. I don't know if that means anything. Would hate to make a guess.

If Macnaghten pegged Kosminski's illness on self abuse, but labelled Druitt sexually insane, then he must have meant one of the other two reasons for MJD.

Roy
                        Good observations, Roy. I will agree that "sexually insane" could mean homosexuality but that doesn't seem to be its basic meaning. Most of the references I found were to excessive sex drive. I also agree that since Mac had a different term for what Spitzka called "insanity of masturbation" it is not likely that he was referring to this by the term "sexually insane."

While "sexually insane" just might refer to homosexuality there seems no reason for it to in the present context concerning Druitt. How would homosexuality make him a better suspect??? However, given the various violent manias associated with excessive sex drive listed in the works above, that would indeed make a Druitt a better suspect in the Victorian mind of Macnaghten. Therefore, I think it likely that this is what Macnaghten meant. And it could very well be at the root of Druitt "serious trouble" at the school.

Comment

Originally posted by aspallek View Post
                          While "sexually insane" just might refer to homosexuality there seems no reason for it to in the present context concerning Druitt. How would homosexuality make him a better suspect???
                          Well it might, to a Victorian who associated homosexuality with misogyny and sadism.

I think we can infer that Sims had mentioned "sexual insanity" when asking Littlechild about "Dr D". Littlechild replied "Although a 'Sycopathia Sexualis' subject he was not known as a 'Sadist' (which the murderer unquestionably was) but his feelings toward women were remarkable and bitter in the extreme ..." and he went on to say "It is very strange how those given to 'Contrary sexual instinct' and 'degenerates' are given to cruelty ..."

This would all fit in with the misogyny/sadism angle. It seems possible that Sims had asked Littlechild about a "Dr D" who was homosexual. Unfortunately "psychopathia sexualis" also covered other sexual disorders such as an excessive sex drive, so he may have asked about something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            Unfortunately "psychopathia sexualis" also covered other sexual disorders such as an excessive sex drive, so he may have asked about something else.
                            That the point. All of these terms seem to be quite general. There is no reason to suspect Macnaghten was referring to homosexuality as opposed to, say, excessive sex drive.

Comment

Originally posted by aspallek View Post
                              That the point. All of these terms seem to be quite general. There is no reason to suspect Macnaghten was referring to homosexuality as opposed to, say, excessive sex drive.
                              But I think Litlechild was being more specific when he used the terms 'Contrary sexual instinct' and 'degenerates'. That may be an indication of what Sims had understood from Macnaghten about Druitt. But of course it's also possible that it was a digression on Littlechild's part.

Comment

Working...
                              X