new information: Arthur Mac Donald and the MJK scene photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new information: Arthur Mac Donald and the MJK scene photo

I'm just back from Lyon where I went through the Alexandre Lacassagne collection at the Lyon Municipal Library, which resulted in my locating (among else) a letter by American criminal psychologist Arthur Mac Donald which proves that it was HIM who obtained access to the MJK scene photo from London (from the HO or elsewhere). I hope to go back to Lyon in November, to go through a second Lacassagne collection, at the medical Museum of the University of Lyon, which was closed during the summer.

Below is the transcription of Arthur Mac Donald's letter, sent to Dr. Alexandre Lacassagne via Dr. Henri Coutagne. Dr. Henri Coutagne was head of the faculty of medicine at the University of Lyon, a colleague and friend of Professor Alexandre Lacassagne, with whom he apparently worked on many cases. After Coutagne and Lacassagne were promised the MJK photo from Mac Donald (see the letter transcript below), they agreed to publish Mac Donald's book Le criminel type dans quelques formes graves de la criminalité in 1893 by their own publisher Adrien Storck, translated from English to French by Coutagne himself. I suspect that they made a deal to withhold publication of the MJK photo until André Lamoureux’s (a doctoral candidate's) thesis De l’Éventration au point de vue médico-légal came out in 1894. Then Lacassagne published his own book, Vacher l’Eventreur et les crimes sadiques in 1899, not just with the MJK photo, but with an Eddowes photo as well. Now all we need to do ;-) is find Mac Donald's source for the photos in London in 1892 and later (around 1899) Lacassagne's source for Eddowes, who I'm willing to bet was the same person. It won't be an easy search, but Robert Mc Laughlin is researching Arthur Mac Donald's papers in the US, hoping to locate some correspondence. I'll be trying to locate more correspondence for Alexandre Lacassagne and, if possible, correspondence for Henry Coutagne in Lyon, as well as (extremely improbable to have survived) a depository for publisher Adrien Storck and photographer B. Delaye, who apparently handled the MJK photo.

As to why Arthur Mac Donald decided to publish his book in Europe, in French, I assume that he was unable to find an American publisher for his manuscript, particularly since he refused a fellowship at John Hopkins to go study in Italy with Cesare Lombroso and in Vienna with Krafft-Ebing, who were the top of the game at the time. Also at the time Mac Donald was employed at the US Bureau of Education in Washington DC and would have presumably needed clearance from the Bureau to publish anything in the US. There was also a long Mac Donald article on the failed assailant of president Roosevelt which Mac Donald also sent to Lacassagne for publication (in French), but a few years later. The deal was done over Mac Donald's book.

A transcription of Mac Donald's letter:

Per Doctor Coutagne
    médécin {unreadable: “emerit“?}
    Lyon
    France
    Torino, September 8, 1892.
    My dear Sirs,
    I send a patho-sexual manuscript on special criminology, which has been read and approved of by Prof. Dr. von Krafft-Ebing of Vienna, from whom I have just received it. I desire to submit it for publication in the “Archives de l'Anthropologie criminelle“ in such a way that it could have 100 copies to be first in the form of a book.
    The cases are peculiar and worked up for the first time. I have also a photograph of one of the worst victims of Jack the Ripper, which was very difficult to obtain, as was the case with the other photographs. This I will send in after I hear from you. The preface explains the nature of the book.
    I shall be in London September 12 or 13 and desire a decision from you by that time, as I expect to return to Amiens.
    My address will be:
    Care J. S. Morgan & Co
    22, Old Broad Street,
    London E.C
    England
    I am,
    Very Truly,
    Dr Arthur Mac Donald
    I have taken the liberty of writing in English, as you know English well.

{The envelope of the letter is addressed to Lacassagne.}

Endless thanks to Rob Clack for helping me deciphering the London address, and I'll probably won't post photos of the original source, so that they are published first in Mr. McLaughlin's upcoming second edition of his book.

I'd be very grateful for any input about who from the HO might have been able to provide Arthur Mac Donald with a MJK scene photo “behind the scenes“, since officially it was denied to him in 1892.
    Best regards,
    Maria

Maria,

Are you saying MacDonald had an original photo that never made it back to London?

Mike
    huh?

Comment

why didn't Mac Donald publish the MJK pic in his book?

Yes, Michael, and we're most probably talking about the most well-known MJK scene photo (the one showing her on the bed) which Mac Donald got from London in 1892, how exactly it remains to be seen.
      It's interesting to see that Mac Donald didn't publish the photo in his book. To me this means that either the French made a deal to publish Mac Donald's book IF they published the MJK photo themselves, or that Mac Donald wasn't feeling comfortable with publishing the photo in his book (maybe due to the way of how he got it?) and the French had more legal leverage. If you look at his letter transcribed below, it completely reads like making a deal.
      Plus the letter doesn't say a thing about the photos being due back.
      By the by, I haven't read Mac Donald's book in print yet (though I read parts of the manuscript in Lyon), so I have no idea if the book contains the OTHER scene photographs he refers to in his letter. That would be an important fact to find out. Maybe the book went to print with NO pictures at all.

Unfortunately, the photo in question (and the one of Eddowes, published in Lacassagnes's book in 1899) were NOT found in the Lacassagne collection at the Lyon Municipal Library, and I went through ALL 13 relevant boxes of Lacassagne's materials, including all his autopsy notes, which listed photographs but didn't contain them in the files.
      Still, there's a second Lacassagne collection, at the medical Museum of the University of Lyon, which was closed during the summer, and I'll try to get access to this in the fall.
      I found some other photos which I might be posting, such as the failed assailant of President Roosevelt in a Brethillon shot, and Henry Vidal's (a French serial killer of prostitutes intercepted in 1902) knife. Plus notes by Lacassagne comparing Vacher to the Ripper, and TONS of well-readable notes by Lacassagne interviewing and “profiling“ Vacher and Vidal, which might be of interest for anyone writing a book about early “profiling“ or about a Ripper suspect discussing profiling (such as Rob Houses' recent book on Kozminski).
      Last edited by mariab; 08-06-2011, 01:53 AM.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

Nice work, Maria. I like the 'all we need to do now...' line

Thanks for sharing; good luck in the autumn.
        best,

claire

Comment

Thank you so much, Claire. Hopefully Mr. McLaughlin finds Mac Donald's papers in Washington DC (though I'm not clear on where he's looking, the Library of Congress or elsewhere).
          I'm not holding my breath for any other letters mentioning the MJK photo, since the exchange would have happened behind the scenes, but possibly we could locate the original pics obtained by Mac Donald in 1892 and Lacassagne around 1899...
          I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas about who from the HO could have provided the pic to Mac Donald, after the HO officially declined.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

I feel it would pretty obvious, but I'm going to just go ahead and put it out there that I am completely ignorant of the matters at hand here. But I am pretty familiar with academic wrangling, and some of this has me a little confused.

"having been read and approved by" Krafft-Ebing is kind of an odd word choice. Especially given that Krafft-Ebing had no problems publishing, and presumably would make those resources available to a student. It seems unusual for MacDonald to have to claim his mentors approval, since typically Krafft-Ebing would have written a letter to accompany the manuscript, if not sent the manuscript to the publisher himself. And refusing a fellowship wouldn't have limited his publishing options just yet. Actually there would probably have been a few journals that would have published him just BECAUSE he snubbed Johns Hopkins.

"from whom I have just received it" sounds like he wasn't the one who wrote it. But it certainly doesn't make sense for Krafft-Ebing to have written it and sent it on to an unknown colleague, so that's an unusual choice of phrase.

It really does sound like he's trading rare photos for publication, and that's not all that surprising. Nor would it be particularly surprising if they took him up on it. It would however be incredibly surprising if it was genuine. Lacassagne was the first to publish that photograph, but he did it 7 years after this letter. Unless it got seriously hung up at the editors, that's WAY too long to sit on a Jack the Ripper crime scene photo.

Lacassagne was running the redheaded stepchild criminology school in Europe. He couldn't afford to publish a fake photo. The only way he could be guaranteed to not publish a fake photo would be to get it himself. Or at least pay someone to get it for him. I don't think he could afford to accept gifts from strangers. The irony is, MacDonald could have given him a legitimate copy, but he wouldn't know that until he got a copy he knew he could trust, which would mean the original would still have to be in place for him to get a known copy of the original.

And I gotta say, unless government jobs used to pay WAY more than they do now, I just don't see MacDonald being able to pay nearly enough to have a British Citizen get him the original. I mean, a fellow Brit would be able to pay the janitor less money for the picture, but an American wouldn't have access to the janitor. If that makes sense.

The whole thing seems strange. But given the preciousness and fragility of an academic reputation, my bet is that since Lacassagne first published the photo, he's the one responsible for pinching it.
            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

If I was to guess, I would say Abberline. He retires February, 1892, crime photo's said to be available by September. Just be a guess though.
              I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
              Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Censorship?

Great work, Maria, thank you! Thanks too to Rob and Robert.

I'm wondering if MacDonald's difficulty with getting his book published in America had something to do with the Comstock Law, or perhaps a similar law? The Comstock Law made it illegal to transport or deliver any materials deemed "obscene, lewd, or lascivious". Even books offering advice to married couples were deemed obscene and seized. A book about sexually depraved murderers that proposed to be accompanied by actual crime scene photographs might have scared off the American publishers MacDonald approached.

Personally I think a censorship issue of some kind is more likely than the notion that MacDonald might have been blackballed by American publishers for having chosen to study abroad. Just my two cents worth. Looking forward to learning more about this, and I'm also looking forward to the new edition of Robert's book!

Best regards,
                Archaic

Comment

Hi Archaic, I hope you're fine, I'm looking forward to learning more about this too. The Comstock Law is definitely a possibility, plus a publication in France, harbored by Lacassagne, would have been a really prestigious deal in the late 19th/early 20th century.
                  As a general practice, people normally bring out their publications in the same environment as their mentors, at least in their initial career steps. Mac Donald's mentor was Italian criminologist Cesare Lombroso, who was a collaborator of Alexandre Lacassagne in many projects.

Errata, the MJK photo WAS genuine and was first published in 1894, in André Lamoureux’s doctoral thesis De l’eventration au point de vue médico-légal. Lamoureux was Lacassagne's protegé.
                  "A manuscript having been read and approved by Krafft-Ebing“ was normal procedure for any gifted young criminologist, and it would have worked like a recommandation letter. Mac Donald was less acquainted with Krafft-Ebing than with Lombroso, he didn't study long in Vienna vs. Italy.

Sleek, Abberline would be the absolutely LAST person on my list to consider for an indiscretion.
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

It is often amazing how little we know about the history of the history as it were. It's always lovelly when a few more pieces of the puzzle, like the tangle of this photo fall into place...

I would never have the superhuman patince required to do what you have done Maria, so well done.

Oh, and did you like Lyon?
                    There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Book

Here is the title page of Arthur MacDonald's book of the time in which he makes only a brief mention of the Whitechapel murders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ambooktitle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	662648
                      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

To Tom Tom Kent:
                        It was not so many materials, 13 smallish boxes, so I could do them in 2 days. Not so much patience, just iddle curiosity. :-)
                        What's hilarious is that Lacassagne was kind of a “rennaissance man“, and has kept materials filling about 40 other boxes with notes pertaining to ancient Rome and to the French Revolution. Weirdly, criminology and medicine constitute the minority in the Lacassagne collection!

Lyon was OK, built a bit maze-like, and I had a map which featured about 40% of the streets. I very much thought of Rob Clack in this instance! I prefer Grenoble as a city: surrounded by hills and more lively.

Thank you so much for posting the title page from Mac Donald's book, Mr. Evans. And the question I've been dying to know about: Does the book feature any other scene photographs???
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

MacDonald

MacDonald was in London in September 1892 staying at 11 Huntley Street, W.C.

MacDonald saw the permanent under secretary, Godfrey Lushington, at the Home Office with a letter showing that he was an official of the U. S. Ministry of the Interior and had been sent to Europe to attend the Brussels and London August conferences on Criminal Anthropology. On 26 September 1892 he again called at the Home Office, with a letter of introduction from Henry White of the United States Legation, to see Lushington. He was seen by the assistant under secretary William Patrick Byrne. MacDonald wanted to obtain copies of all the official reports, especially the medical ones, in the possession of the Home Office or of the Police relating to the condition of the bodies of the victims of the Whitechapel murderer "Jack the Ripper". He already had full press reports and wanted the official reports for publication in 'American Blue Books' and in a French scientific periodical. If he could not have them he wanted to 'peruse them confidentially'. If this could not be allowed he wanted a letter to Dr. Bond asking that Bond could tell him what he could of the facts noted by him.

MacDonald left the Home Office with an assurance that Lushington would be informed of his request. Lushington declined the request and MacDonald was informed in a letter dated 28 September 1892. There must be a possibility that MacDonald looked up Bond and, as a professional colleague, managed to obtain information and a photograph from Bond.
                          Last edited by Stewart P Evans; 08-06-2011, 11:27 AM.
                          SPE

Comment

Illustrations

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                            [B]...
                            Thank you so much for posting the title page from Mac Donald's book, Mr. Evans. And the question I've been dying to know about: Does the book feature any other scene photographs???
                            There are no photographs or illustrations in MacDonald's book. If he had the information/photograph he may have been wary of where and when to publish it if he had obtained it confidentially from a source such as Bond. As you can see my copy of MacDonald's book is inscribed by the author.
                            SPE

Comment

Home Office File

Here is the Home Office file cover on MacDonald's request.

Click image for larger version

Name:	amhoreportcover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	662649
                              SPE

Comment

Working...
                              X