The profession of Jack the Ripper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Which he did, apparently. That said, I'd observe that we only know the nights on which he killed - there were almost certainly many evenings when he went "hunting" without success.
    Yes. There was never a murder on a night with a full moon.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      But how significant is that Pierre?

If we take the canonical five murders which occurred between 31 August and 9 November, we can see these murders spanned a period of 71 days. Within those 71 days there were only 4 nights in which murders were committed and only 2 nights of full moon. So, statistically speaking, we would not expect a murder on a night of a full moon would we?

Plus the murders were all committed on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. In September the full moon was on a Thursday. In October when the full moon was on a Friday there were no murders at all. With the full moon in November being on a Sunday but falling on the 18th, this means that there was only 1 night in the entire 71 day period where there was a full moon during a weekend. But this was in a month completely absent of murders.

And we should probably extend the period from 1 August to 30 November which is 121 days. Full moon in August was on a Tuesday so there were only 2 nights out of 121 when the full moon occurred at the weekend, which is when JTR appears to have been active. Can we therefore say that the phase of the moon bears any relationship to when the murders were committed?

Should we also note that no murders were committed on a night of a new moon?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
        But how significant is that Pierre?

If we take the canonical five murders which occurred between 31 August and 9 November, we can see these murders spanned a period of 71 days. Within those 71 days there were only 4 nights in which murders were committed and only 2 nights of full moon. So, statistically speaking, we would not expect a murder on a night of a full moon would we?

Plus the murders were all committed on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. In September the full moon was on a Thursday. In October when the full moon was on a Friday there were no murders at all. With the full moon in November being on a Sunday but falling on the 18th, this means that there was only 1 night in the entire 71 day period where there was a full moon during a weekend. But this was in a month completely absent of murders.

And we should probably extend the period from 1 August to 30 November which is 121 days. Full moon in August was on a Tuesday so there were only 2 nights out of 121 when the full moon occurred at the weekend, which is when JTR appears to have been active. Can we therefore say that the phase of the moon bears any relationship to when the murders were committed?

Should we also note that no murders were committed on a night of a new moon?
        The illumination of the moon's visible disk was 2-41 percent on the nights of the murders.

http://www.casebook.org/victorian_london/weather.html

Comment

The illumination of the moon's visible disk was 2-41 percent on the nights of the murders.
          Can I ask what the connection is between that statement and your earlier statement that "There was never a murder on a night with a full moon"?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            Can I ask what the connection is between that statement and your earlier statement that "There was never a murder on a night with a full moon"?
            Why should there be "a connection"? I am merely presenting some established facts.

Comment

Why should there be "a connection"? I am merely presenting some established facts.
              The reason why I thought there might be a connection was because you were responding directly to my post (as quoted by you in full) which was about the issue of there never being a murder on a night with a full moon.

Comment

Regards, Pierre
                Hi Pierre,

The last time there was activity regarding this thread was in early March. Your comments show some activity on your part - have you spent part of the last month studying phases of the moon from August through November 1888 (and possibly beyond) as well as the reported luminosity of the moon?

Jeff

Comment

• Just for the sake of conversation, Carrie Brown (The supposed American Ripper victim) was murdered on the night of a full moon.

Comment

Working...
                  X