Did Astrakhan Man exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Jen,

I dont really see your argument here. The reasons for Packer being discounted by the police cannot be compared with Hutchinson because there is not a statement for Hutchinson being discounted. That is the whole point.

If there was then you could compare them.

The real point is that Packer gave a statement and then there is a report that it is disbelieved. That is normal police procedure.

The only thing we have with Hutchinson is that he gave a statement and it was believed. Nothing has been produced from the police that they changed their stance on that.

Although it has been said that the information contained within the two press reports came from the police there has been nothing produced to substantiate that.

Therefore, the arguement that Hutchinson was discredited by the police is completely unverified.

Best wishes.

David

Comment

• The Victoria Home stocked newspapers for their reading room that could be accessed for free by those lodging there.
      It did.

In the building, there is, open to all, a large, cosy reading room, which is supplied with the daily papers
      (my emphasis)

Later Leaves, Montagu Williams

Easy enough to keep up with the latest developments if you lived at the Victoria Home. Apparently.

Comment

• Thanks for those, Sally.

There do appear to be compelling indications that The Observer may have been the "inspiration" behind the creation of Astrakhan man, or one source of it at any rate.

There is no police report stating that Packer was "disbelieved". Swanson merely noted that he gave divergent accounts, and that he was "elderly". Of course, such phraseology could easily lead the uninitiated to conclude that Packer was just a bit doddery and senile. With Hutchinson, however, we know that the police informed the Echo that his account was discounted (i.e. disbelieved and "put under suspicion") in part because of his three-day "delay" in presenting his evidence.

In Hutchinson's case, unlike Packer's, the police feedback explicitly alludes to doubts as to the witness' credibility, and for those who keep wrongly insisting that this report is "unsubstantiated", I would urge a re-reading of their account of their visit to the "Commercial Street police station" (14th November) that establishes beyond question that such a communication took place.
        Last edited by Ben; 06-30-2011, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• Hi Ben,

I take it from that somewhat glib response that you cannot find the official corroboration for the Echo's account. So it remains in the land of supposition.

Best wishes.

Comment

• Oh, is it duplicate threads time again?

What terrific fun.

Here's a link to the post I just quoted to you in your pointlessly identical post from two minutes ago:

Read it and digest it. Print it and take it to bed with you, but don't, for pity's sake, come back in two seconds with yet another one of your generalized, naysaying "I've caught Ben out" responses.

Comment

• Hi Ben,

Are we back in the playground again?

Best wishes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sally View Post
                If he had no money on the Friday morning, he was clearly able to acquire some, either that day or the Saturday - because he was at the Victoria Home on the Sunday. He would have had a free bed on Sunday - but only if he had been resident throughout the week.
                Just slipped my mind, but I thought the stipulation was that a person should stay any six consecutive nights, then they get the seventh free. Nothing about Sunday specifically - their seventh night could have been any night of the week.

Can you confirm?

Thanks, Jon S.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  Just slipped my mind, but I thought the stipulation was that a person should stay any six consecutive nights, then they get the seventh free. Nothing about Sunday specifically - their seventh night could have been any night of the week.

Can you confirm?

Thanks, Jon S.
                  Certainly, Wickerman, it will be my pleasure. I don't have time right now (work, I'm afraid) but later on, perhaps.

Comment

• The standard procedure amongst Victorian landlords was to charge rent for the six working days of the week, with the Sabbath thrown in for free. This generally applied to the tenants of rooms, apartments or tenements, but was also practised by a number of lodging houses for long-term residents who paid weekly and in advance.

Comment

• Hi Garry,

Well in a sense that would make sound business sense to attract the long term renters.

Best wishes.

Comment

• Sunday

As Garry says. That the Victoria Home(s) subscribed to this practice is beyond doubt. There are numerous textual references to the Sunday rule around - it was common practice, so hardly surprising.

Comment

• Hi Sally,

I dont think I said that it was surprising, did I?

Best wishes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatchett View Post
                            Hi Sally,

I dont think I said that it was surprising, did I?

Best wishes.
                            Hi Hatchett

I don't think I said that you did say it was surprising, did I?

It was my obervation, and not aimed at you, or indeed, at anybody in particular.

Goodnes, people are touchy round here.

Comment

• hi Sally

totally off topic sorry, but I just wanted to say I do like the little quotes you use after your posts.

Jen
                              babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

• Hi Sally,

Not at all.

Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                                X