No announcement yet.

How strange is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UGH ROSELLA! Now you are going to make me read thru that thread again, and i got my plate full with The Echo right now. Haha. Or maybe it was Norway which is a country, i hear. Hope your enjoying a pleasant weekend. Hey! I made CONSTABLE. Whose buying first round?
    Last edited by Robert St Devil; 10-10-2015, 08:34 AM.
    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

• Congratulations on your promotion, Robert! Australian beer OK? We make some good beer here, I'm rather partial to a lager myself!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
        Congratulations on your promotion, Robert! Australian beer OK? We make some good beer here, I'm rather partial to a lager myself!
        But you're in Vic aren't you? so Fosters and VB no Tooheys Black.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Name a brand. I know a place that carries'em all ROSELLA

Do you know if theres a book that tells the statements of the bartenders who served these women, or the person who sold Mary Kelly her candle?

Comment

• A Fosters then! Goes down very nicely, especially on a hot day!

Mary bought her halfpenny candle from McCarthy's shop. I can't remember reading of any barmen or barmaids who actually gave testimony about the drinking habits of these ladies that have turned up in books. There are just bits and bobs here and there about Mary being seen drinking at Ringers and with Joe Barnett's brother, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
              A Fosters then! Goes down very nicely, especially on a hot day!
              Can't be real Aussie if you drink that rubbish.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• ROSELLA. Not so much their drinking habits... The people who served them the night they were murdered Like at the Bricklayer Pub or the Britanniw. Or where Catherine gets drunk midday. Anybody who would have served them.

As for MCCarthys, i thought somebody in the shop would have gave a statement, like "she came in here and bought a candle. I asked 'bout the rent."
                Last edited by Robert St Devil; 10-10-2015, 06:50 PM. Reason: B

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post

As for MCCarthys, i thought somebody in the shop would have gave a statement, like "she came in here and bought a candle. I asked 'bout the rent."
                  The police probably did, just we don't have it anymore.
                  G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    The police probably did, just we don't have it anymore.
                    But it wasnt Jack or Tom Bowyer, right? Like, maybe the wife ,or do we know?
                    Last edited by Robert St Devil; 10-10-2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                      But it wasnt Jack or Tom Bowyer, right? Like, maybe the wife ,or do we know?
                      As far as I know, no one knows. It could have been any of them, McCarthy also had kids, for all we know one of them may have served Mary, just no idea.
                      G U T

Comment

• And theres nothing from the bartenders? Or maybe i don't understand the London bar scene in 1888 London. I would have thought that some ody would have said, "yea, i served the two. They ordered a Fosters."

Comment

• Is it possible that the bar tender didnt speak up for fear of being a suspect

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                          And theres nothing from the bartenders? Or maybe i don't understand the London bar scene in 1888 London. I would have thought that some ody would have said, "yea, i served the two. They ordered a Fosters."

If the bartender or bartenders on shift that night had served them. I'd money two to one on that they were the last to see Mary alive. Now please feel free to correct me if I have this wrong but wouldn't being the last person to see Mary alive make you the prime suspect in the Yard's eyes for her murder?

Regards
                          Mr Holmes
                          Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; 10-12-2015, 08:26 PM. Reason: Mistake in heading

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
                            If the bartender or bartenders on shift that night had served them. I'd money two to one on that they were the last to see Mary alive. Now please feel free to correct me if I have this wrong but wouldn't being the last person to see Mary alive make you the prime suspect in the Yard's eyes for her murder?

Regards
                            Mr Holmes
                            Being the last person yes.

Being the last known person, not necessarily.
                            G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post

Regards
                              Mr Holmes
                              In this case, they might if there was only the two of you in the pub.
                              As that was unlikely, I think Scotland Yard would cut you some slack

What might be more of a concern for the bar staff is if they said something to make life awkward for Blotchy, and he just might have some friends that will wait out the back of the pub for you, to remind you of what the first rule of survival is in the East End...
                              Last edited by Wickerman; 10-13-2015, 12:59 PM.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• "The first rule of survival in the east end"? is that "Keep your mouth shut" or "watch what you say"?

Either way is it possible that someone in that pub didn't want to speak up about what they saw that night. I know that the "east End" was London's "Dirty Little secret" and that murders and other crimes. So these had to be something extraordinarily brutal to get such attention from the print media of the day.

Regards
                                Mr Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X