Vote the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kaz View Post
    Thanks for the info, very interesting even for the doubters, no?
    It should be, Kaz. The Ryder/Rydall comparison doesn't really work.

In 1891, the census has 20 Maybrick and 6000 Ryders. There are no Mibracs and 14 Rydalls. There is therefore no comparison.

The S.E. definitely suggests the last two letters of James.

No proof of connection to the bag itself. Just evidence that he was there hiding his identity.

Any idea what Maybrick would have been doing in London in April in the West End of London? On business or 'john' business.

Comment

• So, if it did come out of Battlecrease then Anne Graham is lying, or hopelessly misinformed--have I got that straight?

Comment

• G'day Sunbury

Originally posted by Sunbury View Post
        a very convoluted sentence Gut
        It was meant to be.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• G'day Graham

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          If Keith Skinner really can prove that it came out of Battlecrease, then for Gawd's sake let's hear from him!
          And if Mrs Graham can prove she's descended from Florrie, prove it.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• G'day Jonathan

So, if it did come out of Battlecrease then Anne Graham is lying, or hopelessly misinformed--have I got that straight?
            Only explanation I can see.

I would love to believe the diary was real but I keep coming back to the untruths told about the diary.
            G U T

Comment

• How do we know that the watch, with it's Maybrick markings, appeared before the 'Diary' was published?

Io be specific can I--or anybody else--access the published source that shows, eg. by it's date, that it debuted before this [modern] hoax of the 'Diary' was launched and then flopped?

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                Hi Graham,

I'm pretty sure Mike was as surprised and puzzled as anyone else when the watch and its markings came to light in June 1993, which was before the diary content was first published.

Love,

Caz
                X
                Hi caz,I was very surprised when I asked Mr Barrett about the watch I was expecting him to waffle on for hours but all he did was shrug his shoulders look bemused and say "don't f####### know".I'm firmly of the opinion he knows nothing about this watch.One last thing I know Mr Johnson who discovered this watch was in the merchant navy as was Mr Barrett.
                Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                  So, if it did come out of Battlecrease then Anne Graham is lying, or hopelessly misinformed--have I got that straight?
                  That rather depends on when it came out of Battlecrease, doesn't it?

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Well, does it?

Comment

How do we know that the watch, with it's Maybrick markings, appeared before the 'Diary' was published?

Io be specific can I--or anybody else--access the published source that shows, eg. by it's date, that it debuted before this [modern] hoax of the 'Diary' was launched and then flopped?
                      The watch, complete with its markings, was first shown to Robert Smith in early June 1993. The content of the diary was first published in facsimile and transcript form in Shirley Harrison's book, in October 1993. In fact there is a photo of the watch and its markings in that very book.

QED

Love,

Caz
                      X

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                        Hi caz,I was very surprised when I asked Mr Barrett about the watch I was expecting him to waffle on for hours but all he did was shrug his shoulders look bemused and say "don't f####### know".I'm firmly of the opinion he knows nothing about this watch.One last thing I know Mr Johnson who discovered this watch was in the merchant navy as was Mr Barrett.
                        I agree that Mike knows no more about the watch than we do. And there has never been the slightest evidence that the Barretts and the Johnsons knew each other until after both diary and watch hit the news. I can't imagine something like that could have been kept quiet for all this time, knowing how Scouser tongues wag. And I mean that affectionately. I love Liverpool.

Love,

Caz
                        X

Comment

Well, does it?
                          Yes of course it does. Surely you can work that one out - unless you don't even know the basics.

Love,

Caz
                          X

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                            Yes of course it does. Surely you can work that one out - unless you don't even know the basics.

Love,

Caz
                            X

Has this character ever read a diary book of 'any' description?

Comment

• Fairly obvious that he hasn't, I'd say.

G
                              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• All I know is I'm confused by all the stories of this diary or scrapbook, whatever.
                                There's the story we read back in the day, about buying it in a pub.
                                Then the purchaser said it was forged, and he did it.
                                Then the same guy retracts this story (or his lawyer does, same thing).
                                Next, his wife says she had it in the family, and this has a version where a family member got it from a servant at the Maybrick house ( a little "Downton Abbey" theme music sting here, please) OR her Dad had it for ages from HIS family...

Sigh... I voted for old hoax, because everyone and his sister was writing hoax Ripper letters to the papers back in Jack's time (Ive even read one in a Leadville, Colorado newspaper), and it makes sense that someone would try a bigger hoax, whether as a prank, a frame-up, some sort of "party piece" for giggles, who knows... But a hoax. To judge from the letters, many Victorians had a strange sense of humor...
                                Last edited by Pcdunn; 01-27-2015, 12:19 AM. Reason: Typo fix
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X