MJK’s appearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Allo GUT,

Sadly not from down under, although the weather in London this weekend has been a bit Aussie.

I was just filtering my opinions through you as someone who seems to have some common sense.

MrB

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
      'Allo GUT,

Sadly not from down under, although the weather in London this weekend has been a bit Aussie.

I was just filtering my opinions through you as someone who seems to have some common sense.

MrB
      G'day MrB no I figured you was a poor old Pommy [but one of my favorite people is half pom so that's OK].

And when you say Aussie weather you mean HOT or cold as buggery like it is today about 11 degree c.or about 52F top yesterday. But where I am it's not hot till it hits the ton.

And feel free to filter away.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi GUT,

I meant HOT, I wouldn't know how cold buggery is.

You seem to have had a meteoric rise through the Casebook ranks, congrats. I'm still a humble 'tec.

Not being knowledgeable or partisan enough to mix it with the big guns, I tend to snipe from the sidelines when I feel my common sense is being affronted.

But it's still a riveting subject, I'm sure you'll agree,

MrB
        Last edited by MrBarnett; 07-19-2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Well mate buggery's obviously about 50F cause that's what it was yesterday.

I only post when I read something that offends my thoughts of logic, but do tend to to dig in and argue back.

At first I didn't know what you meant by rise through the ranks, but you mean number of posts I take it. Because I've had some health problems, a couple of broken bones in the back I've had a fair bit of time on my hands and had to fight boredom somehow hopefully back n harness soon.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            So the Met. didn't have a classification for fat people?
            It scarcely matters to the matter in hand, MrB, which is about what lay-people said, rightly or wrongly, about Mary Kelly being a stout woman. I really don't see why one should infer that this description must have been euphemistic and that, therefore, Mary Kelly was a blobster. I don't think she was at all but, as the photographs bear out, she was clearly better-insulated than many women in her situation.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

With respect to the word "stout", I would support Sam Flynn's comments here. The term, in an age of consumption, malnutrition, and other chronic infectious maladies, would refer to someone who appeared in good health: sturdy, good complexion, with some flesh on him or her. Obesity was not common in any event during Victorian times. References to women who were stout appear frequently in literature in the period, and the term is complimentary. It also usually suggests a girl fit for the ardors of child-bearing.

For contrast, consider the emaciated, tiny body of Kate Eddowes in her post mortem pictures. You wouldn't need to be a Valkyrie to look stout next to her.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what Marie may have looked like in life. I think it is safe to make the assumption that it is fairly irrelevant on a whole, given the situation and the circumstances revolving around the whole affair.

But, besides all that, it is my opinion that most wouldn't give her a second look nowadays.

The depiction of her in the Illustrated Police News is not a flattering one; she may have been romanticized in her looks due to her supposed youth and the manner of her death. People often don't speak ill of the deceased but rather play up their attributes, big or small.

Granted, yes, I do not think stout solely referred to someone who was short and fat in the Victorian times.

Even if she was heavier and had a plain face but good hair and nice skin, does that even matter at all?

I believe someone made a post on her and did a cheap reconstruction of Kelly a while back; it seemed the most accurate depiction of her.

Does anyone have that link? I just found a recent UK Journal with an artist rendition of Kelly.

It seems as good as any?

(They seriously have coffee mugs, puzzle games and I-Pad sleeves with her supposed image on it. Um, come again?)
                Last edited by AuroraSarintacos; 07-23-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

G'day because I'm from Australia, and I thought the crime scene photos showed someone who was well-proportioned and certainly not thin. Parts of the body such as calves and arms have not been mutilated, and they're not flabby and not emaciated. One possibility beyond tall (5' 7" was very tall for the time) and well-proportioned was that she could have been busty, but we cannot ascertain this from the photos. Busty and well-proportioned may have been translated into stout.

In terms of attractiveness, a taller woman can be bigger and seem proportional compared a shorter woman of the same build. A taller women who is slim seems skinnier than she really is. In other words a tall, well-proportioned Mary Kelly might well have been quite striking in the flesh.

The crime scene photos give no indication of protuding teeth, unless this was a result of dentures removed for sleeping.

Comment

Working...
                  X