No announcement yet.

The Ripper's Knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott,the travelling knife grinders were a familiar sight on the streets with their carts and knife sharpening apparatus

I saw a travelling knife grinder on the street in Spain a few years ago.
    He had a 'call' which was very atmospheric, to bring his clients out of their houses. It made my portuguese husband feel very nostalgic, as he said that the knife grinders in Portugal used the same sound.
    In Alburquerque I came across this old school knife grinder going from door to door. Listen for his mouth organ tune in the beginning with which he announces...
    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post

I saw a travelling knife grinder on the street in Spain a few years ago.
      He had a 'call' which was very atmospheric, to bring his clients out of their houses. It made my portuguese husband feel very nostalgic, as he said that the knife grinders in Portugal used the same sound.
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wVQ4WnSW8
      Hi Rubyretro, I know that sound as long as I can remeber, nowaday's the grinder come's round the village on a moped or van, before on a push bike.
      The sound is made by an "armonica" ( mouth organ ). I imagine Whitechapel had it's local knife grinder " and I bet you a pound to a penny he played the same tune ". If Jack was from the Manor ( area ) I bet the knife grinder new him or saw his face, just a thought, all the best, Agur.

niko

Comment

The sound is made by an "armonica" ( mouth organ ). I imagine Whitechapel had it's local knife grinder " and I bet you a pound to a penny he played the same tune ".
        Hi Agur - I have to say that I wondered the same thing!

According to this document, it has the knife grinder calling in 'his sing song voice', and not with an harmonica.....So sadly, we're probably wrong...

Why knife grinders were needed; how they plied their trade; how their grinding wheel worked and was powered; how they travelled and where they ate and slept
        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post

Hi Agur - I have to say that I wondered the same thing!

According to this document, it has the knife grinder calling in 'his sing song voice', and not with an harmonica.....So sadly, we're probably wrong...

www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-knife-grinder.htm
          Hi Rubyretro, I supose your right, and were both wrong, by the way my name is Niko not Agur,lol, Agur means goodbye in Basque language, "no problem though".

About the Ripper's knife, from little what I've read in the 1888 newspaper's and inquest report's, the Ripper's knife has been discribed in many way's, for example - Bayonet, Butcher's knife, Fishmonger's knife, Dagger. There is not much written about amputaition knives, exept what is said about the suspect Strog of him carrying surgical knives on him, but I supose I'm wrong. This are three knives that I poses, from left to right.

LEFT - This is a world war one military bayonet, blade sharpened on one side.

MIDDLE - This is my "Muela escudero" hunting knife (modern), sharpened on both side's of the blade.

RIGHT - This is the knife I think Thomas Coram found, French cook's SAbatier knife, sharpened on one side of blade, was in circulation in 1888, which I understand was used in many different trade's. All three are large bladed knives, ok then all the best, Agur.

niko

Comment

Originally posted by niko View Post
            Hi Rubyretro, I supose your right, and were both wrong, by the way my name is Niko not Agur,lol, Agur means goodbye in Basque language, "no problem though".

About the Ripper's knife, from little what I've read in the 1888 newspaper's and inquest report's, the Ripper's knife has been discribed in many way's, for example - Bayonet, Butcher's knife, Fishmonger's knife, Dagger. There is not much written about amputaition knives, exept what is said about the suspect Strog of him carrying surgical knives on him, but I supose I'm wrong. This are three knives that I poses, from left to right.

LEFT - This is a world war one military bayonet, blade sharpened on one side.

MIDDLE - This is my "Muela escudero" hunting knife (modern), sharpened on both side's of the blade.

RIGHT - This is the knife I think Thomas Coram found, French cook's SAbatier knife, sharpened on one side of blade, was in circulation in 1888, which I understand was used in many different trade's. All three are large bladed knives, ok then all the best, Agur.

niko
            hi everyone,

Comment

Originally posted by niko View Post
              hi everyone,
              Third time lucky. This is the image I wanted to attach two post earlier, sorry. Agur.

niko
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X