No announcement yet.

Hutch in the 1911 Census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam, I'm not meaning the natural slant difference that might occur when writing his full name compared to just plain old George Hutchinson. I mean that because the George and Hutchinson bit were cut from the full signature and pasted together, that the slant of the writing sample (cut and pasted wedding signature) we were comparing, looks slightly different when seen in full.
    Anyway, I'm not wanting to resurrect this thread like I said, so I will leave it at that. Anyone who wants to see for themselves can now thanks to the LMA.
    If anyone wants a copy emailing just pm me.

Comment

• Ah, I'm with you now, Debs.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Debs writes:

"I mean that because the George and Hutchinson bit were cut from the full signature and pasted together, that the slant of the writing sample (cut and pasted wedding signature) we were comparing, looks slightly different when seen in full."

I don´t suppose you could post the two alongside each other, so that we can all have a look? I have a general idea of what you are getting at, but I may be mistaken, so any further elaboration would be welcome!

The best,
        Fisherman

Comment

• Here's the Topping wedding signature:

Click image for larger version

Name:	George William Topping Hutchinson signature 1898.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	657747

Rob

Comment

• My grateful thanks to Rob and Debs for their research efforts.

Interesting stuff!

Comment

• Debra and Rob

Really good. I can see the well marked signature and the downward strokes on the W, P and G. Really interesting.

Comment

• George Thomas Hutchi(n)son

Ta dah...better late than never?!
                This is the signature of George Thomas Hutchison b 17th Sept. 1854 at 22 Whitechapel Road (also spelt Hutchinson on occassion) later of Cottage Grove Bow, the 33 year old watch stealer of 1887:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cottage grove george.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	664242

Source Citation: London Metropolitan Archive; Reference Number: COL/CHD/FR/02/2535-2540.
                Ancestry.com. London, England, Freedom of the City Admission Papers, 1681-1925
                Last edited by Debra A; 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Hi Debs, many thanks. And it dates from...?

Comment

• Hi DVV-it was 28th October 1909.

Comment

• Merci ma chère !

Comment

• George James Hutchinson

George James Hutchinson married Margaret Isabella Stevens in Watney street (Shadwell area) 1874. This chap was a groom on his wedding certificate.
                        He appears to have mostly lived in Shadwell with wife Margaret and later became a butcher (by 1891). He had two children, George Jnr born 1883 Old Ford and Eliza Suzannah who died young....The family ended up in Newington with George snr living separate but in general area.... by 1911
                        One one of his kids birth records he was called George Thomas Hutchinson.
                        He was son of Thomas Hutchinson a stone Mason of Durham and Susan and had two brothers William and Thomas.
                        Sorry cant seem to upload marriage but will keep trying.....

Pat..............................

Comment

• forgot to say

This George James Hutchinson was born 1853 according to marriage certificate.

Pat

Comment

• George James Hutchinson

Wedding signature of George James Hutchinson (as previous two posts)....

Pat
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Very interesting Paddy. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• I guessed somebody would pick this guy up sooner or later
                                He died in 1905, so we won't find him in the 1911 census. I thought it was quite interesting, his bring a groom - but on reflection I don't think this man was the witness in the Ripper case. There's nothing to suggest that he'd separated from his wife in 1888 - though possible of course. And if he had and was the witness I can quite see how he might not fancy telling the police that he was a butcher; but I think his signature is quite different - there are a few available to look at. Incidentally, his wife was the person who registered his death, which suggests that they may have maintained some form of contact. I think the real witness may have used an alias and have known Kelly through Stephen Maywood. He's an interesting character in himself - a successful fraudster with violent tendencies; and he had demonstrable Whitechapel connections. It might be worth looking more closely at him if you were looking for Hutchinson.

Comment

Working...
                                X