Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Jane Kelly (Another) New Theory

(This one is long, guys...)

So I had the chance to chat to a big-deal profiler who works in the Ontario police system. He really didn't know much about the Ripper except the name and the fact that he killed women. Which is a good thing IMO, because he had no preconceived ideas. When I described the Kelly killing, as I started telling him what had happened, how the body was lying, where the victim was killed etc he said 'domestic'. But as I went on, he changed his mind. He felt very strongly that the Kelly killing was part of the series, but saw immediately the numerous differences.

Now as some of you may know, I have believed for some time that the Kelly killing was a domestic, and perhaps not a Ripper killing at all, or maybe a Ripper killing but for different reasons. However my profiler pal made me think hard about this stance. His point was that the similarities outweighed the differences, but that he couldn't quite understand why those major differences were there, and couldn't come up with a viable reason for them. I spend a long time thinking about this, and I do think I have come up with a possible scenario that I hope y'all won't find too far-fetched and dumb.

Supposing the killer's object has always been Kelly. He is obsessed with Kelly. He wants to own Kelly. He wants to kill Kelly. There have, unfortunately, been a lot of these kinds of killers around over the years. However, for whatever reason, he doesn't want to start by killing Kelly. She is fairly tall and quite strong. She's young. She won't be easily overpowered. When he kills her, he wants that kill to be perfect. So he practices.

The other victims: he starts with Nicholls--I thought Tabram might well be a victim, but for the purposes of this theory she can't be. The attack is too frenzied and doesn't contain the trademark purposeful slashing in the abdominal area. Those wounds are all stabs, not slashes. He kills her, but perhaps doesn't get quite what he wants from her. He then kills Chapman and harvests an organ or two. By this time, according to my profiler, he's brought something with him to contain them, and this becomes part of his ritual. He kills Stride but doesn't mutilate her because he doesn't get the chance. However, like Chapman, she is partially suffocated into submission before he cuts her throat. He could have strangled all of these women to death but he doesn't, so the throat-cut is very much an important part of the ritual. He kills Eddowes, and mutilates her more thoroughly than any of the others but he doesn't strangle her at all. He kills her with his knife. He doesn't kill for 6 weeks. Then he goes after Kelly. The women he killed beforehand are completely unimportant to him. They don't fulfill any major fantasy although they are part of his process, so he takes trophies. They are simply the most available and the easiest to subdue. They are, therefore, old, sick, drunk and as close to being homeless as they can be and still occasionally afford a roof over their head. Their physical similarity is an outcrop of their similar circumstances and their extreme vulnerability and so their use to him. He won't go after younger, stronger women. He's saving that for when he thinks he can go after Kelly.

His prior relationship with Kelly: she may know him, she may not. He has probably been stalking her for a while. He is aware that he can get into her room without a key. He notices her being drunk. He waits and watches until she is asleep. He breaks into her room and then enjoys his version of perfection. She is important to him as none of the others are. That's why he takes her heart rather than her sexual organs.

Now this could describe ol' Kudzu himself, George Hutchinson. Or if not George, the man in the wideawake hat waiting at the entry to the court and looking up there as if he were waiting for someone. I am tempted to dismiss GH as a figment of Abberline's imagination, or some kind of local chimerical phenomenon. Except for one thing, that also occurred to me while I was working on this theory. Hutchinson describes Mr Astrakhan as giving Kelly 'a red handkerchief'. We spent a lot of time talking about this, because there's no way he'd know the colour of that handkerchief from where he was standing. So why did he say that? Was he gilding the lily? The rest of his statement suggests that's likely. Or was that a nice little in-joke for himself? Because that was not the kind of handkerchief you blow your nose on. In those days women like Kelly would have used their fingers or a handy sleeve. But a handkerchief, she would have worn around her neck. And nice Mr A gave her something red for round her neck...

I know this is probably a crazy theory, and it goes against all my previous ideas about the case. But it occurs to me that it's a possibility. And also that, whoever the Ripper was, he was probably lining up another sweetheart when he was stopped from killing again.

Not sure whether this is a new theory. It's certainly not crazy or at least no crazier than mine!

Cheers
    Sasha

Comment

Seems a very reasonable theory to me, Chava.

Have you read Bob Hinton's book, From Hell? He advances a similar theory, and I'd strongly recommend it.
      Last edited by Ben; 06-30-2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Ben, no I haven't. I thought that was a 'royal conspiracy' book, so I stayed away from it.

Comment

Hi Chava,

Sorry, I can't go along with this one. It's not like Mary was a professional wrestler or had a black belt in karate. A sharp knife is a powerful weapon. All the killer had to do was to wait until she fell asleep or was quite drunk. I just can't see the need for practice.

c.d.

Comment

personally i think were bordering onto fantasy again with this one.
            if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

Originally posted by Chava View Post
              He felt very strongly that the Kelly killing was part of the series, but saw immediately the numerous differences.
              Yeah, and serial killers often have differences between victims, sometimes major ones.

Originally posted by Chava View Post
              he couldn't quite understand why those major differences were there, and couldn't come up with a viable reason for them.
              Did he say what those alleged major differences were? The only differences I can think of seem relatively minor and very easily explained: Kelly happened to have a room, she brought him there instead of the street like the other prostitutes, Jack could do more there.

Did he know about your belief that the killing was unrelated? If he knew or picked up on it from your responses, he could have just been trying to be polite to you. In fact his original belief that it might have been a domestic could have been more influenced by the way you presented the information to him in the first place.

Dan Norder
              Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
              Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

It's not like Mary was a professional wrestler or had a black belt in karate
                They didn't call her "Black Mary" for nothing, CD.

Seriously though, I agree that the earlier victims can't be chalked up purely to practice, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an acquaintance between Kelly and the killer. It depends how he gained entry to Kelly's room. If he was brought in off the street Astrakhan-style, they may have been strangers. If he stalked her before "breaking in" (like Bundy and BTK), there's a stronger argument for an acquaintance of some sort, which wouldn't be unusual, incidentally, given that a prostitute's client base is likely to consist of more then a few familar faces.

But that's without wishing to embark upon another marathon "Did Kelly venure out after blah blah blah..." session.

Best regards,
                Ben

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  Hi Chava,

Sorry, I can't go along with this one. It's not like Mary was a professional wrestler or had a black belt in karate.

c.d.
                  No but wasnt it said somewhere she had a mean left hook if "aroused"?

Comment

Did he know about your belief that the killing was unrelated? If he knew or picked up on it from your responses, he could have just been trying to be polite to you. In fact his original belief that it might have been a domestic could have been more influenced by the way you presented the information to him in the first place.
                    No, I didn't tell him. And in fact after I spoke with him I began to revise my own opinions. I'm still not sure whether this was a Ripper kill or not, but he did make me entirely rethink my position. And, no, he wasn't being polite. I described the way the body was found first, and the medical findings as to the position when killed. I then went on to describe how the killer might have got into the room although I was careful to let him know she may have let/brought him in there in the course of her evening's work, and then turned to the mutilations etc. He felt that the position of the victim when killed, and the fact that the heart was taken, all pointed to some prior relationship between the victim and the killer. However he said he had never come across such extensive mutilation in a case of straightforward domestic murder. In general, he said, such major work is down to attempts to hide the body etc. So you might get dismembered parts turning up in suitcases, or--as in the case of Dr Crippen--bits of a de-boned body under the cellar floor. He thought that the actual killing blow seemed indicative that the murder was a Ripper crime. He didn't think it likely that a copycat who wanted to kill his girlfriend would have gone to such lengths. Also the mutilation was similar in pattern to what was done to Eddowes. The major differences? The age and appearance of the victim; the location of the crime. It looked to him as if the killer had had one particular type in mind for too long to change so quickly to another without transition. So that was something he couldn't explain without a lot more than I could give him at the time. I pointed him in the general direction of Donald Rumbalow's book and the A-Z. He could probably learn a lot from a good crime-scene photograph, but there isn't one that shows the whole room, and he would want to see other things in the room aside from the body. How and where things were placed, was there any staging of non-body material etc. He wondered whether the clothes on the chair might have been put there by the killer rather than the victim. One thing he looks for in a crime scene is, as he put it, 'one neat thing' amid the chaos. It sounded like those clothes may possibly have been that one thing. He thought the stuff found around Chapman may have been something like that.

After my conversation I went back and looked at as much Kelly material as I could, and then thought long and hard. The profiler said that from what I'd told him, this was an organized killer. And I got to wondering just how organized he was. I looked at the canonical murders differently. I'd always seen Kelly as the anachronism, and that's why I thought she was part of a different crime, or maybe a victim of the same killer but for different reasons. Then I turned the situation on its head. Supposing Kelly was the actual target. Then why weren't other similar women killed ahead of her? Why did he pick on the women he picked on, rather than woman more like Kelly? What struck me immediately was the total defenselessness of the women he killed ahead of Kelly--who may or may not have had a mean right hook, but was certainly bigger, stronger, younger and probably faster than the other four. After looking at the earlier victims something that struck me was the progression. He starts by killing Nicholls. According to the inquest testimony, it looks like he grabbed her with a hand around her mouth and tightly yanked her head back to kill her with his knife. He then slashes around in her abdominal area and leaves. Maybe he's disturbed. Chapman, however, is semi-strangled before he cuts her throat, and it looks like she was almost dead when the cuts were made. Had Nicholls struggled? Maybe he felt it would be easier to use his knife--which is clearly what he wants to do--if the victim is more-or-less dead already. Stride looks like she was strangled first. But a little while later, Eddowes is killed by the knife. There are no signs of strangulation.

And then Kelly, six weeks later.

So that was when I started to wonder if he was practicing. In the way other sks practice on animals before they progress to humans. He wanted that Kelly kill to be everything he had fantasized about, so he had a few rehearsals first. I realize that this is far-fetched, but it does explain the anomalies of victim choice and location choice. The women he killed were so down on their luck that they didn't have any kind of a room to sleep in. They were sick, tired and old. They all drank heavily. And he may well have been on the lookout for a drunken woman when he was trolling, as a drunk wouldn't have been able to put up even token resistance. In fact one of the few things that Kelly has in common with the others, is that she was drunk that night. I think he knew that, and that's why he killed her then.

Comment

Maybe he was infatuated with Mary Kelly, and she kept rejecting him. Outraged, he takes his anger on the other victims.

He gives her one last chance and again she rejects him. He is now at the point of rage that he kills her in an even more vicious passion than he killed the others.

This is just a theory of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
                        In fact his original belief that it might have been a domestic could have been more influenced by the way you presented the information to him in the first place.
                        Or else it could have been the correct one.

All the best
                        The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
                          Or else it could have been the correct one.
                          Actually, Glenn, Dan's point wasn't so much about the correctness or otherwise of the conclusion, but about the well-attested fact that the manner in which evidence is presented can fundamentally influence a person's judgment.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Don't be naive, Sam. You know as well as I do Dan's position on the Kelly murder, as I am sure you know mine.

As for being influenced, it is interesting to note that the Ontario profiler's INITIAL reaction was 'domestic' when the murder was described to him, but he changed his mind when he was fed with more information about the Ripper murders. It is strange to talk about 'influence' when the 'influence' most likely came the more information he was given rather than in the beginning.

I think his initial reaction says a lot, because that's probably what most investigators would say if they saw the crime scene photo or walked into a similar crime scene (and he certainly wuldn't be alone in this). What it does show is that the Ripper context in itself may be deceiving.

All the best
                            The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
                              Don't be naive, Sam. You know as well as I do Dan's position on the Kelly murder, as I am sure you know mine.
                              Be that as it may, Glenn, Dan's quite legitimate point was not about the correctness of the conclusion or otherwise. It was about how information is presented.
                              it is interesting to note that the Ontario profiler's INITIAL reaction was 'domestic' when the murder was described to him, but he changed his mind when he was fed with more information.
                              Precisely. "Information decreases uncertainty", as we used to say.
                              I think his initial reaction says a lot, because that's probably what most investigators would say if they saw the crime scene photo. What it does show is that the Ripper context in itself may be deceiving.
                              Indeed, a cogent observation - but that also applies to taking the context of an indoor location and a body on a bed as signifying a domestic murder.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                              X