New guy alert, need some good reading material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy alert, need some good reading material

Hello everyone, my interest in the jack the ripper case started about 6 months ago when i got a copy of the movie Time After Time, i had seen the movie plenty of times years ago but i had finaly gotten myself a copy and watched it with the commentary on and it was than i learned that the ripper was never caught and that got me interested so i googled the case and came across this site ware i've been reading and listening to Rippercast, now to get to my point, what books wood you guys on here recommend i read? i have no idea what to start with. any help wood be appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

Welcome tredstoneguy,

I suggest that you start by reading some of the threads where this topic has already been discussed, like this one:

or this one: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=3834

Comment

I recommend you start with the Oxford English dictionary. An invaluable tool in written communication.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Tredstone,

Here's a reading list for you:

Also here is what the site recommends:

Go down the list of questions and you'll find the one about recommended reading: Sugden, Begg, & Rumbelow.

Also, Evans' and Skinner's The Ultimate JTR Companion aka The Ultimate JTR Sourcebook is invaluable.

Welcome to the site.
        Last edited by Celesta; 02-28-2010, 08:09 PM.
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

The sourcebook is invaluable but not for a beginner. I would suggest Peter Sugden's The Complete History of Jack the Ripper for you myself. It has a complete overview of the case, with every detail included, from beginning of the case, right up to the "end". I would highly recommend this book.
          Best regards,
          Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Hi Stone,

I would recommend Donald Rumblerow's Complete Jack the Ripper

Then, after you become well versed in the case, you wont want to be caught without Begg, Skinner, and Fido's The Jack the Ripper A-Z
            Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions, i will be sure to check my local library and when i get some extra money go to barns n noble and pick up some of the titles you guys suggested.

Comment

Working...
              X