Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Victims Were the 'Work' of the Whitechapel Murderer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Victims Were the 'Work' of the Whitechapel Murderer?

From http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=uk

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-4312.html as retrieved on 5 Feb 2008 04:53:07 GMT.
    G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
    The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.
    This cached page may reference images which are no longer available. Click here for the cached text only.
    To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=uk

Google is neither affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
    These search terms have been highlighted: elizabeth stride many victims
    These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: archive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Potential Ripper Attacks in London > How many victims were the 'work' of the Whitechapel Murderer ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PDAView Full Version : How many victims were the 'work' of the Whitechapel Murderer ?

halomanuk1st June 2007, 04:07 PM
    Hi all,it's Friday and its poll time!!

Just curious to get your opinions on,what you think,was the actual amount of victims murdered by JTR......

Sam Flynn1st June 2007, 05:59 PM
    Probably more than seven victims (not all of whom died). There are strong indications that at least four of the "Canonical" five were killed by the Ripper, and I can't help feeling that there were other non-fatal assaults (and maybe the odd murder) perpetrated by him before, during and after the "Autumn of Terror".

PerryMason1st June 2007, 06:29 PM
    Hello Barry,

I just added my vote....7 or more, so "more than" 7 is now tied with 4 and 6 respectively.

I think as Sam states, there were other non-fatal, or non-linked attacks that the killer made...so, I guess I think its a number greater than 4 non-lethals or non-linked, because I think he only killed 3 of the C5. I would personally add Martha tentatively, and perhaps both Annie Millwood and Ada Wilson as well. But I dont think it began with kills....I think he had to kill them because they wouldnt allow him to do what he wanted to do quietly....which is to cut them.

My best regards.

John Guy1st June 2007, 06:49 PM
    Hello Barry

Friday Poll day, nice one !!

Call me an old stick in the mud but I voted 5 , the C5.

My gut feeling says he hit the road running with Polly.I believe he was a local slaughterman, and his handy work with the knife did not require practise runs like Emma or Martha.I`d guess ( don`t laugh) that he`d being fantasizing for years and the attention that Martha murder attracted,and the fact that the Police did not have a clue maybe got him thinking "hmmmm...". Perhaps, and a very slim perhaps with that, was the recently opened play "Dr Jekyll and Mister Lusk oops Hyde" which may have justified in his own mind that this urge he harboured had to be released.The reason he stopped after five was the fear of been caught and hanged,self preservation.
    I believe the others were copycat, as none of them had the severe throat cutting, stabbed maybe.

Anyway. my polished fathings worth ...

Kind regards
    Jon

halomanuk2nd June 2007, 12:02 AM
    Hi all,
    Thanks for your imput and clever thinking in the poll...!!
    so far good constructive opinions from Sam,Mike and Jon...they all make sense..

Dark Ali2nd June 2007, 12:13 AM
    Hi Barry, 4 of the C5 is my guess although the real tally could have been more if you go outside of our canonical victims.

Ben2nd June 2007, 01:13 AM
    I'd also include Annie Millwood and Ada Wilson as ripper attacks, albeit without resulting in murder.

extendedping2nd June 2007, 05:13 AM
    I voted for more then 7. Seems when we catch serial killers we often find (eventually) that they killed more then they were suspected of killing. I bet it was the same with jack. I bet some of those here who take the accepted 5 and then take away from it would end up with much egg on the face if the truth were ever to be known. which it probably will not.

Mrsperfect2nd June 2007, 02:33 PM
    This was difficult to answer as one of the victims was not in London at all! I voted more than 7 anyway!

Martha Tabram
    Annie Millwood
    The C5
    Ellen Bury

I also believe that killers often have other victims that come to light only after they're caught. Generally speaking, it's not something that they start doing and suddenly stop again. I did hear about one in the US that did, but I believe it's most unusual.

Regards,

Eileen

robert2nd June 2007, 03:25 PM
    I think he may have killed McKenzie, if he was feeling a bit off colour at the time. A dose of flu might have made the difference.

Robert

Reeceo2nd June 2007, 03:34 PM
    Hi All!
    I believe that the killer murdered just the C5, but may have attempted others without success.
    I also believe that the murders stopped with Kelly, even though there were murders throughout the next few years with simillar features as the C5.
    I say this because with each of the C5 victims,the mutilations got worse as the killer progressed.

"But whose to say Im right?"

Reece

JIMI2nd June 2007, 04:01 PM
    Hi All
    just voted, i would say more than seven, however does victims mean murdered,mutilated or just attacked?
    I do think there were more attacks as the throat cutting of the first c5 victim is very accomplished with little mutilation, each victim after that is an escalation of violence until i believe he was apprehended after Kelly. I don`t think, in my own opinion, that Stride was a ripper victim.
    However his knowledge of throat cutting could have been gained as a slaughterman/butcher.
    Just my own thoughts.....or does that mean i haven`t got a clue?

Keep Well
    Jimi

tji2nd June 2007, 04:32 PM
    hi all

Hi JIMI

Just my own thoughts.....or does that mean i haven`t got a clue?

Can I ask if this is a rhetorical question or do I get to answer ?

As for me I think 4 of the C5 but started out with minor attacks previous to these killings.

thanks
    tj

PerryMason2nd June 2007, 10:50 PM
    Hi all,

Thought Id up the ante here....see what everyone believes....how about naming your victims? Either non-fatal attacks, or C5 victims.

1. Unknown, non-fatal
    2. Annie Millwood
    3. Ada Wilson
    4. Martha Tabram
    5. Annie Chapman
    6. Catherine Eddowes
    7. Mary Kelly, (potentially)
    8. The Pinchin St Torso

Maybe other attacks unreported, maybe some petty crime too...theft, something criminal but not violent.

Ok....anyone else want to stick their neck out with me?

My best all.

Jez2nd June 2007, 10:54 PM
    I'd go with several more than just the C5. Both before and after.
    As a boy he probably pulled the wings off flies.
    Even after MJK he never retired.

PerryMason2nd June 2007, 10:54 PM
    Hi again,

Sorry, I cant believe I left out Mary Ann Nichols....I do think she was a Ripper victim as well. Not sure about Mary Kelly, but lately some ideas about her possible killer might point to a person known by her, in which case Im open to the idea that she knew her killer, and that he was also the Ripper.

Cheers all.

Pinkerton3rd June 2007, 12:23 AM
    I'm probably in a small minority but here are mine.

Martha Tabram
    Whitehall Torso
    Polly Nichols
    Annie Chapman
    Liz Stride
    Catherine Eddowes
    Mary Jane Kelly
    Elizabeth Jackson
    Alice McKenzie
    Pinchin Street Torso
    Frances Coles

Possibly 1-2 others.

Celee3rd June 2007, 01:18 AM
    Hi,

I feel Jack killed four to six women, four for certain.

Polly Nichols
    Annie Chapman
    Catherine Eddowes
    Mary Kelly

Liz Stride and Martha Tabram would be the other possible victims.

It is hard to go against what the men who worked the case thought and the canonical five are accepted by the Detectives who worked the case to be ripper victims. Abberline believed Tabram to be a ripper victim and Dew thought that the ripper killed more then just the five. However they all include the canonical five on their victim list.

Your friend, Brad

franko3rd June 2007, 02:03 PM
    Hi all,

I haven't voted, because I'm just not sure about a number of victims. If I was forced to make a choice, I'd probably say 6. Here's what I think at the moment:

Annie Millwood: 25-75
    Ada Wilson: 15-85
    Emma Smith: 0-100
    Martha Tabram: 60-40
    Polly Nichols: 100-0
    Annie Chapman: 100-0
    Susan Ward: 5-95
    Elizabeth Stride: 40-60
    Catherine Eddowes: 100-0
    Whitehall Torso: 0-100
    Mary Jane Kelly: 85-15
    Rose Mylett: 0-100
    Elizabeth Jackson: 0-100
    Alice McKenzie: 10-90
    Pinchin Street Torso: 0-100
    Frances Coles: 0-100All the best,
    Frank

Glenn L Andersson3rd June 2007, 05:27 PM
    For those who've been here long enough it is no secret that I only count 3 out of the known East End victims, and all of those 3 belongs to the C5 (Nichols, Chapman and Eddowes). I do not believe the others were his work, and not Tabram, Millwood, McKenzie or Coles. And certainly not the torso murders. I do think he committed other crimes, but I suspect they might have had a totally different nature, like obscene/indecent and maybe even robbery.

I also want to complement John Guy for this excelllent analysis, which I agree with totally:

"My gut feeling says he hit the road running with Polly.I believe he was a local slaughterman, and his handy work with the knife did not require practise runs like Emma or Martha.I`d guess ( don`t laugh) that he`d being fantasizing for years and the attention that Martha murder attracted,and the fact that the Police did not have a clue maybe got him thinking "hmmmm...". Perhaps, and a very slim perhaps with that, was the recently opened play "Dr Jekyll and Mister Lusk oops Hyde" which may have justified in his own mind that this urge he harboured had to be released.The reason he stopped after five was the fear of been caught and hanged,self preservation."

I couldn't have put it better myself. Thumbs up.

All the best

jukka ruskeeahde3rd June 2007, 06:16 PM
    Hello you all!

I'm probably sounding pretty banak, but:

C5.

A maybe: Martha Tabram.

All the best
    Jukka

Graham3rd June 2007, 09:10 PM
    I think he may have killed McKenzie, if he was feeling a bit off colour at the time. A dose of flu might have made the difference.

Robert

Robert,

Influenza in the 19th/early 20th century was usually fatal.

Cheers,

Graham

Graham3rd June 2007, 09:14 PM
    For what it's worth (not much):

Tabram
    Nicholls
    Chapman
    Eddowes
    Kelly - but not convinced.

That's all, folks!

Cheers,

Graham

3rd June 2007, 09:43 PM
    I'll say six - the C5 and another we may or may not have heard of.

Stan

Glenn L Andersson3rd June 2007, 09:50 PM
    Jukka,

What's 'banak'?

All the best

Glenn L Andersson3rd June 2007, 10:18 PM
    Graham,

Take away Tabram, and I am with you.

I have to say, though, that I am asounded to see that I wasn't the only one who voted '3' - seems like two other voters shared that idea. Needless to say I am in shock.

All the best

PerryMason3rd June 2007, 10:54 PM
    Hi again,

Since MacKenzie and Coles have been mentioned, I think the same man, not the Ripper, but the same man may have killed both. Look at the similarities in their faces in the morgue shots...they could have been sisters they look so similar.

My best regards.

Sam Flynn3rd June 2007, 11:11 PM
    Jukka,

What's 'banak'?
    I think Jukka made a typo, Glenn, and meant to write "banaj"

(Sorry - I meant "banal")

Sam Flynn3rd June 2007, 11:15 PM
    I have to say, though, that I am asounded to see that I wasn't the only one who voted '3' - seems like two other voters shared that idea. Needless to say I am in shock.
    No need to be shocked, Glenn - "victim" doesn't have to mean "murder victim", after all. I'd be very surprised if Jack "successfully" butchered to death a mere three women without at least assaulting a good few more in the process.

Graham3rd June 2007, 11:16 PM
    Hi again,

Since MacKenzie and Coles have been mentioned, I think the same man, not the Ripper, but the same man may have killed both. Look at the similarities in their faces in the morgue shots...they could have been sisters they look so similar.

My best regards.

Hiya!

Do you really think that MacKenzie and Coles are so much alike? 'Death Becomes Her', and all that, but I think that Coles looks years younger. And I think that Sadler had a rather close shave apropos the hangman....

Cheers,

Graham

PerryMason4th June 2007, 12:17 AM
    Hi Graham,

You may be right, perhaps all dead people can look a bit like each other...but I was struck by how similar I thought they looked.

As are Polly, and Annie....a bit similar dont you think? Again, maybe only in death, but I am paying attention to things like that to help isolate whether a "type" may have factored in the actual Whitechapel Murderer's total.

Physically anyway. But by what I can tell, Liz and Mary at least were atypical...Liz because despite her flaws I think she was still considered somewhat attractive, and Mary for the obvious youth and looks. Using that notion though leaves me puzzled about Kate. Not young, but probably not "homely", as I respectfully suggest the early victims were. I think Kate may have been the most fit and able one though...capable of a fight.

My best Graham.

franko4th June 2007, 12:17 AM
    Hi Michael,
    I'm with Graham here. Apart from that they don't look particularly similar to me, their deaths weren't very similar either. The 2 cuts to McKenzie's throat seemed more like stabs, while Coles' single throat wound was caused by a sawing motion, once from left to right, then from right to left and then back again. Furthermore, Coles sustained some injury to the back of her head, as if she had fallen backwards or been thrown down. This wasn't mentioned in the case of McKenzie.

All the best,
    Frank

PerryMason4th June 2007, 12:21 AM
    Hi Michael,

I'm with Graham here. Apart from that they don't look particularly similar to me, their deaths weren't very similar either. The 2 cuts to McKenzie's throat seemed more like stabs, while Coles' single throat wound was caused by a sawing motion, once from left to right, then from right to left and then back again. Furthermore, Coles sustained some injury to the back of her head, as if she had fallen backwards or been thrown down. This wasn't mentioned in the case of McKenzie.

All the best,
    Frank

Hi Franko,

No dispute from me my friend, I agree fully. I lean towards Millwood and Wilson as possibles as I said, but not the two above.

What I was commenting on was that perhaps they might have been killed by a single killer based on what I percieved as a similarity to their look. The above post to Graham explains that more.

My best Franko.

halomanuk4th June 2007, 03:18 PM
    Hi all,
    the murder of Coles certainly wasnt a ripper murder,but maybe a poor attempt at a copy-cat before being disturbed by the police.

While JTR was still in the headlines it gave a lot of people the chance to copy-cat as best they could and pray that JTR got the blame...it never seemed to work though with any of the latter cases i think...

Although my own poll seems to be throwing up interesting results !!!

jeffl4th June 2007, 04:08 PM
    No need to be shocked, Glenn - "victim" doesn't have to mean "murder victim", after all. I'd be very surprised if Jack "successfully" butchered to death a mere three women without at least assaulting a good few more in the process.

Hi Sam, Does that mean we can count the poor unfortunate woman (sorry cant remember her name) who colapsed from a heart attack after reading about the murders, as a victim too?

I guess everyone knows my count would include Tabram...I'd go with the police on the ground rather than McNaughten. May even consider Emma Smith and at a stretch Alice McKenzie...the discription of Ada Wilsons attacker fits my favoured JtR discription.

As Jack was clearly a Strangler bye trade I'd also like to know about early attacks NOT including a knife assort but attempted Strangulations and robbery.

Eight to nine probable. Although if we conclude JtR was of Jewish origin perhaps Glenn is correct on Stride (Why would he shout Lipski?).....did teh police interveiw Pipeman? or were they together?

My gut instinct takes me with Abberline however....so I will count Stride in for now.

Jeff

Sam Flynn4th June 2007, 06:24 PM
    Hi Sam, Does that mean we can count the poor unfortunate woman (sorry cant remember her name) who colapsed from a heart attack after reading about the murders, as a victim too?
    Hi Jeff,

I think there have been convictions for manslaughter by causing a heart attack, but only if the guilty party took some direct action in connection with the victim, such as robbing them at knifepoint. BTW, I'm not familiar with the incident in question, so I can't really help you with the lady's name. Perhaps it was Mrs Twitch
    As Jack was clearly a Strangler bye trade
    There are still considerable grounds for doubt on that point, however. It's not clear that Jack was an habitual strangler at all.

halomanuk7th June 2007, 12:05 PM
    I dont think JTR was a classic 'strangler' ...he used that method to silence the KNOWN C5 to be able to slit their throats and get down to whatever his real MO was,obviously to obtain or study the organs.

Again,if you look at the earlier crude methods on some of the other victims,especially Tabram it does seem that he was more of an opportunist,killing any way he could (if he killed Tabram etc).

Basically,even though he would know the best spots in Whitechapel to perform his attack,the choice of 'unfortunate' was random - all these women were in the wrong place at the wrong time,with Kelly being the possible exception.

hawkes30th November 2007, 07:40 PM
    i would say 10 or 11. i find it hard to accept that there were a number of butchers who all committed their crimes at the same time.

the differences in "style" could be experimenting or something by JTR

BlackKat25th January 2008, 03:44 AM
    Hey all

Nichols
    Chapman
    Eddowes
    Kelly?

I'm still out on Kelly. I tend to lean more to the side that he did in fact kill Kelly. Most SK's won't change how they kill but I've heard some people state that "JTR could not have done this because it was inside and she was too young" well - Ted bundy didn't always kill outside but he did kill them all none the less. However, I can see how that might sound naive of me.

Age? If he didn't get a kill in Oct. Let's just say he didn't because he was laying low, the heat got too close, he was sick, or whatever the case might have been. Then Kelly (drunk prostitute) <~ at least that fit his usual, might have been a kill that was a fix for him. The streets were a little more tricky for him after the other women's deaths. He had more of a chance for getting caught. If he went inside Kelly's residence he was out of watchful eyes, and perhaps he really got to do what he'd loved to have done out on the streets but he never had enough time. ALSO - if this was a fix for him, almost as if sating a lust for blood, he could have really gone mad with the blood lust, and thus the extensive mutilation. Then again, perhaps this was a progression with him, and thus it got worse and worse.

I don't think the torso murders were Jack at all. No heads - limbs. A SK can progress and kill more and more violently (kelly) but it doesn't usually escalate into cutting off limbs - not in this manner. It certainly won't before there is even a clear progression of mutilation. (geesh I sure hope I'm making sense to more than just myself) Cutting off heads completely just doesn't seem like Jack's thing. (and certainly not leaving the head at the scene at least etc)

I can't really be certain that he had anything to do with the other possible ripper victims either. I don't see JTR assaulting women, and just cutting them a little, or anything else, and letting them get away to turn him in, or give his description. I think he was much to smart for that and ahead of his time. Did he progress to killing from lewd behavior? Possibly. He may have had perversions that are unknown(he'd had to have something), but I do think his first kill was nichols, and yes I agree he hit the ground running.

If there were more kills than those, I think it's after Jack moved on to another area. (out of London)

Sorry it was so long...

paul emmett25th January 2008, 04:46 AM
    I say six, cuz for one thing look alikes seem to be Nichols, Chapman and Tabram.

caz25th January 2008, 05:40 PM
    ...I don't think the torso murders were Jack at all. No heads - limbs. A SK can progress and kill more and more violently (kelly) but it doesn't usually escalate into cutting off limbs - not in this manner. It certainly won't before there is even a clear progression of mutilation...

Hi BlackKat,

Not sure what you are saying here. Do you mean a killer certainly won't start cutting off limbs before there is a clear progression of mutilation? If so, where is the torso murderer's own clear progression, assuming he wasn't Jack? Or do you think each torso murder was the work of someone who simply needed to dispose of their victim and hide her identity? There have obviously been plenty of one-off (and therefore first-time) killers who were perfectly capable of cutting off limbs, no previous mutilation experience required.

So could the same not apply to a serial killer, or to Jack himself, at any stage of his 'apprenticeship'? Would the rules apply differently to him?

Love,

Caz
    X

BlackKat25th January 2008, 08:45 PM
    Hiya!

Thanks for chiming in. I knew that maybe it wouldn't be so clear as to what I was saying. I was thinking faster than I was typing. I should have definately placed in my thoughts that it was my own opinion that he didn't have anything to do with the torso murders, and explain more clearly. My apologies.

Now usually, not ALL the time, but sometimes you can see a progression with some SK's and there are those that always do the same thing, with only small deviations, I'm sure that some would theorize that JTR could have been one that cut off limbs, but in my opinion I do not think that was something he would do.

We can clearly see that he didn't care if the bodies were found, he didn't try to hide them. He either wanted them to be recognized, or he just truely didn't care about that aspect. So why then would he cut off a head and arms. Arms later being found in the Thames.

Pinchin St?= The head again wasn't found and she was wrapped in sacking. That doesn't sound like our man Jack. I mean if he did progress to decapitating ..alright, now we have sacking. Doesn't fit. Why not then cut off the head of Mary Kelly completely? (For those that think he certainly was her killer too.)

My reason for thinking he didn't commit these murders is do to his cruel and complete nonchalant, or detached concern he had for leaving the other bodies, and never trying to hide his victims.

Oh Caz, yes I certainly agree there have been many killers that have been capable and have cut off limbs, no doubt about that. I also agree it can be their first kill.

vBulletin v3.6.0, Copyright ©2000-2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Comment

Hi BlackKat,

I have only just now seen your reply to my torso-based questions back in January. This is due to my failure to get back to the original thread before the crash, plus the length of time it's taking me to get back up to date with all the new post-crash threads.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant about progression and not seeing Jack as a killer who would dismember, hide or otherwise dispose of any of his victims. While I agree that it seems highly unlikely that he was responsible for the torso murders (plural), as a series, it's not unheard of for someone who kills and kills again to include among their victims at least one individual who wasn't a total stranger, encountered on a dark night in the street (as I assume the accepted ripper victims were), but someone who could be linked to their killer in some way or other, either directly or circumstantially. If this had applied to Jack (and we don't know that it never did), then his best and most likely course of action would have been to deviate from his slash, rip and dash policy and make some attempt to cover up the crime this time. I see nothing that would prevent him from doing what any other one-off killer might do in similar circumstances.

Love,

Caz
      X
      Last edited by caz; 03-05-2008, 06:58 PM.
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I like the way Franko did an 'odds' thing, so I'm going to plagarise it here :

Annie Millwood: 75-25
        Ada Wilson: 10-90
        Emma Smith: 0-100 (Though involvement in the gang I would say 10-90)
        Martha Tabram: 90-10
        Polly Nichols: 100-0
        Annie Chapman: 100-0
        Susan Ward: 75-25
        Elizabeth Stride: 90-10
        Catherine Eddowes: 100-0
        Whitehall Torso: 0-100
        Mary Jane Kelly: 100-0
        Rose Mylett: 0-100
        Elizabeth Jackson: 0-100
        Alice McKenzie: 25-75
        Pinchin Street Torso: 0-100
        Frances Coles: 0-100

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Philip,

I am hoping to see a video of you doing that using your hands like John Mcwhatever his name is, you know the strange horse racing guy!!

Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
          X