Michael Maybrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Maybrick

In the diary the author (we have to assume it was James Maybrick for my question's sake) always refers to his brother Michael as 'Michael'. What seems strange to me is that if the diary was written by James Maybrick then I would have thought that he would have written 'Blucher' as this was definitely the family name for Michael. In James' letter to Michael telling him how sick he was he heads the letter 'My dear Blucher', and even Florie refers to him as Blucher in a letter to James. My brother is called Frederick, but I certainly wouldn't use that name in my diary or a letter. I would write Freddy or Fred. What do you think?

Originally posted by Carol View Post
    In the diary the author (we have to assume it was James Maybrick for my question's sake) always refers to his brother Michael as 'Michael'. What seems strange to me is that if the diary was written by James Maybrick then I would have thought that he would have written 'Blucher' as this was definitely the family name for Michael. In James' letter to Michael telling him how sick he was he heads the letter 'My dear Blucher', and even Florie refers to him as Blucher in a letter to James. My brother is called Frederick, but I certainly wouldn't use that name in my diary or a letter. I would write Freddy or Fred. What do you think?
    Hi Carol,

You make an interesting point - well observed.

In the letter you mention from James to Michael, he first addresses him as Michael then crosses this out and addresses him as Blucher instead. Blucher, therefore, may have been more of an occasional pet name rather than a regular one.

Nevertheless, thought-provoking ...

Comment

Hi Soothsayer,
      Thanks for your reply. I didn't know James wrote 'Michael' first and then crossed it out. That is very interesting. I haven't seen the letter itself. Is it shown in one of the books on the Maybrick case? I got my information from the only Ripper related book I have read, namely 'The Last Victim' by Anne Graham and Carol Emmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
        Hi Soothsayer,
        Thanks for your reply. I didn't know James wrote 'Michael' first and then crossed it out. That is very interesting. I haven't seen the letter itself. Is it shown in one of the books on the Maybrick case? I got my information from the only Ripper related book I have read, namely 'The Last Victim' by Anne Graham and Carol Emmas.
        I'm having a bit of a meltdown - I can't recall where I saw it (and saw it I'm sure I did). I have to assume that it was in Harrison and/or Feldman - but I feel I 'saw' it rather than read of it. My memory's maybe playing tricks with me in my old age.

I'll have to give it some thought ...

Comment

Hello Carol!

I think, that depends on the nature of the calling name;

My sister writes for "Jukka" for most of the time and sometimes "Dear Kid Brother".

But then, in everyday life I am called "Mossi" (a Finnish nickname for a kid-brother! ) sometimes!

All the best
          Jukka
          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Michael Maybrick's most famous composition, in his nom-de-plume of Stephen Adams, was 'The Holy City'. Not that it matters, but I learned this song almost as soon as my voice broke, and can still do a bloody good rendering of it nearly 50 years later. A number absolutely drenched in the cloying sentimentality of High Victorian musical art.

Maybrick made an absolute fortune from this song, by far his most popular. In fact, at the height of his fame, he was even more popular than Gilbert & Sullivan, which is saying something.

Anyone interested can find more info about M Maybrick at www.revolve.com.au/polemic/adams_profile.html - if that site is still avalable.

Cheers,

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Dear Graham,
              Thanks for the revolve.com site reference. Just been there and printed out some very interesting information.
              Carol

Comment

Hi Carol,

Glad you found the link interesting. He was a cold fish, wasn't he? The Ripper aside, I think he played a very large part in getting Florie Maybrick accused of murdering James. Possibly through his Masonic connections.

Cheers,

Graham
                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Michael Maybrick

I bought the book when it came out - ie. The Diary of James Maybrick. I did think it was possible he was the "Ripper" - but yes, Michael Maybrick did come across in the book as being rather superior and smug - for want of a better word I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post

Hi Carol,

You make an interesting point - well observed.

In the letter you mention from James to Michael, he first addresses him as Michael then crosses this out and addresses him as Blucher instead. Blucher, therefore, may have been more of an occasional pet name rather than a regular one.

Nevertheless, thought-provoking ...

Yep, Soothsayer, you are right. This letter [HO 144/1639/A50678] can be seen in the little Crime Archive book on Mrs Maybrick, by Victoria Blake, published this year by the National Archives.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post
                      I'm having a bit of a meltdown - I can't recall where I saw it (and saw it I'm sure I did). I have to assume that it was in Harrison and/or Feldman - but I feel I 'saw' it rather than read of it. My memory's maybe playing tricks with me in my old age.

I'll have to give it some thought ...
                      Hi Soothsayer!
                      I sent off for a copy of Chris Jones' The Maybrick A-Z, and there on page 6 is the start of the Blucher letter. And you're right!
                      Carol

Comment

National Archives

Originally posted by caz View Post
                        Yep, Soothsayer, you are right. This letter [HO 144/1639/A50678] can be seen in the little Crime Archive book on Mrs Maybrick, by Victoria Blake, published this year by the National Archives.

Love,

Caz
                        X

Dear All,

I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the The National Archives in Kew. The facility is open to anyone and you can view for yourself a vast range of primary source material, including some records that relate to the Jack the Ripper murders.

There are four boxes of items relating to the Florence Maybrick trial and the subsequent campaign to get her released from prison. You can order the boxes (up to three at a time) and then view and photograph them at your leisure. One of the items is the 'Blucher letter.' Difficult to make a trip from Sweden, but you can order copies of a particular item via the phone or internet, thought there will obviously be a cost. The copy of the Blucher letter in the National Archives is not the original written by James himself, it is a copy of the original letter made by a clerk.

Best wishes, Chris Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jones View Post

The copy of the Blucher letter in the National Archives is not the original written by James himself, it is a copy of the original letter made by a clerk.
                          Many thanks for clarifying this, Chris. And best of luck with the book!

Love,

Caz
                          XX
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Chris,
                            Thanks for the extra info.
                            I'd just like to say to everyone that I can thoroughly recommend your book 'The Maybrick A-Z'. It really overflows with information and for the record I consider the book completely unbiased. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't read it with an open mind!
                            With best wishes.
                            Carol
                            P.S. I wanted to put a Smiley in but I can't get one!

Comment

It's quite simple Carol, you just click your mouse on one like thus, he he!!

Thanks for the review of Chris's book, I wasn't aware it was out until someone mentioned it on Friday, but I have a copy on order from Amazon.
                              Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X