This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenny,

It's probably fair to say that in Whitechapel & Spitalfields, the main problem is being hassled for money by beggars. If you stand still long enough, (e.g. to frame a shot), they see it as an opportunity to ask for spare change.

Of course, in addition to all that, you still have to contend with places like the Whites Row car park, which are not generally considered as safe, particularly for someone on their own. (Says me, having done just that on Friday evening! )

Then of course there are the local residents who don't like their homes being treated as some kind of Victorian theme park...

So, all in all, the best policy is to grab your photos when you can, and keep your wits about you at all times.

Mind how you go. Evenin' all.....

Andrew

Comment

• The last three pics from my excursion last Friday...

A lone survivor on the eastern side of Henriques Street.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	henriques lone survivor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	657566

Another one of the window of 3 Fournier Street. No idea what all this "Noir" business is all about though...

Name:	3 Fournier Street looking up.jpg
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	657567

Artillery Passage outside the Grapeshots wine bar.

Name:	artillery passage grapeshots.jpg
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	657568

All the best
      Andrew

Comment

• Ordered - along with Louis Berk's book.

When you apologised for the cover price, Andrew, I was expecting a tag of something like £50, as you pay for many art books.

£17-odd is nothing!

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Ordered mine too. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• Just had a look at the "Walk to Work" book by Louis Berk. It really is an outstanding collection of photographs of the area. He has a real eye for taking pictures of what most of us would consider to be an everyday, maybe even mundane, scene, and turning it into something that really makes you stop and think.

It's also apparent, even from the preview, that his pictures reveal all manner of colours in brickwork etc, that wouldn't normally be apparent to the casual eye.

Reckon I shall be making a purchase of that one too! Although I'll wait until my own copy of my own book has arrived first.

Oh, Philip, you might want to avoid looking too closely at page 32 of "Walk to Work".... He mentions the "C" word when referring to road surfaces....

All the best
            Andrew

Comment

• The Hull Daily Mail ran an excellent article last night on the Bowlalley Lane area of Hull in the Victorian period. This is an area associated with the Stephenson family and was apparently quite a bad area. Anyway, the article discussed the Setts in Hull, and revealed that wooden Setts were placed outside the house's of the wealthy to soften the noise of passing carriages. No mention of the "C" word though!
              Regards Mike

Comment

• Mike,

Wooden setts eh? Presumably the wealthy also could afford to employ servants to encourage passers-by to tiptoe quietly past their masters residences...

Andrew

Comment

• Lambeth Walking

Name:	lambeth38.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	657576

Comment

• "Lambeth Walking"

Love that one, Paddy!

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• It's nice to see the poor weather hasn't put off the locals from 'avin' a bit of a knees-up!

All the best
                      Andrew

Comment

• God, that's bleak. Can you imagine a world without Drum 'n' Bass?

Comment

• Are there any photos of the Great Synagogue on Duke Street ? I have not seen any (except for one interior shot... a painting I think). I find it hard to believe that no photos of this building exist...

Rob H

Comment

• Originally posted by Mascara & Paranoia View Post
                            God, that's bleak. Can you imagine a world without Drum 'n' Bass?
                            I frequently pray for one...

B.
                            Bailey
                            Wellington, New Zealand
                            hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                            www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bailey View Post
                              I frequently pray for one...
                              Me too! I didn't get to bed until 2AM this morning, because the neighbours had a party going on. A comparatively civilised one, to be fair (they're really nice people, besides), but enough twangs and thuds insinuated their way through my double-glazing to keep me awake.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                ...I didn't get to bed until 2AM this morning...
                                Timekeeping must be different in Britain. Here in the colonies, 2AM is always in the morning. I can sympathize, though. There is some sort of party going on a couple of houses from me this afternoon, and it has seriously interfered with my re-reading of The Alienist.

Comment

Working...
                                X