Ramsgate Boarding Houses - Abrahams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramsgate Boarding Houses - Abrahams

I have only just come across Chris Phillips's excellent post from July 2007 concerning the Ramsgate boarding houses run by Isaac and Bertha Abrahams, at 11 York Terrace and 25 Albion Place.

The post in question is the first one on this thread page:

As soon as I read this it was on with my walking shoes and out of the house as both sites are about 10 minutes walk from where I live!
    I am glad to say that both buildings still exist. The Albion Place house, which is on five floors (it has a large basement) is now a private family home and still very much the same. the house to the right of it in the postcard mentioned still exists, but the two next houses in the square have been demolished. Since the days of the Abrahams's house, the square has been renumbered, and the building that shows in the postcard as Victoria House is now 5 Albion Place.

Over the next few days I will be borrowing a digital camera from a mate to get some pics. There are also two houses surviving in Ramsgate that belonged to the Fleming family (Joseph Fleming's father was born in Ramsgate) and I'll try and get these too.

Chris

The entry below is from the 1913 Kelly's Directory for Kent
    Attached Files

Comment

This entry is from the 1903 Kelly's Directory
      Attached Files

Comment

The photo below shows the hill leading down to Ramsgate Harbour. The terrace in the middle is York Terrace where Abrahams had his first boarding house and the red cross marks what would then have been No 11
        Chris
        Attached Files

Comment

The photo below shows Albion Place Ramsgate and the red cross over the house marked "Victoria House" was No 25, the second Abrahams boarding house
          Chris
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X