Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Episode #45- Urban Landscape 1888

Hi All,

This weekends podcast will be a discussion about the streets, alleyways and buildings in the East End in 1888. We'll talk about many if not all of the crime scenes (C5 and non C5) in regards how it appeared at the time of the murders. Other places, such as police stations, lodging houses and local businesses will be touched on as well. An 1888 Ripper Walk of sorts.

If you have any questions about the urban terrain in 1888, or would like to hear us discuss a specific place or street, please PM me or leave your reply in this thread.

Philip Hutchinson and John Bennett will be the special guests.

Thanks for listening!

Stay Tuned,

JM

That sounds a really interesting one and good guests who know the streets as well.

Look foward to listening to it Jonathan...

Comment

can't wait JM

can you please ask, re the Tabram murder, if the place where the body was found was large enough to accomodate three people...as in, is it possible for there to have been two simultaneous attackers?

thank you and keep up the good work

babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

This Sunday I fully expect to show why the positive comments I accrue are unfounded. I think John's going to be doing most of the talking!

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
          Hi All,

This weekends podcast will be a discussion about the streets, alleyways and buildings in the East End in 1888. We'll talk about many if not all of the crime scenes (C5 and non C5) in regards how it appeared at the time of the murders. Other places, such as police stations, lodging houses and local businesses will be touched on as well. An 1888 Ripper Walk of sorts.

If you have any questions about the urban terrain in 1888, or would like to hear us discuss a specific place or street, please PM me or leave your reply in this thread.

Philip Hutchinson and John Bennett will be the special guests.

Thanks for listening!

Stay Tuned, JM
          Hi Jonathon

In discussion over coffee this week, there was discussion about a new book featuring photographs etc and connected to the name John Bennett. Could you ask your guests if there is a new book due for release? and how where? it might be available? and what its all about?

Pirate

Comment

This sounds like being an excellent episode of Rippercast, and one that certainly will be of interest to those of us who prefer to concentrate on the "geographical history" of the case.

A couple of points I've always wondered about;

In Mitre Square, when was the pavement around the flowerbeds moved from its 1888 era alignment to its current one, and was this done to give better access to the playground of the Sir John Cass School playground for emergency services etc?

and

The southern end of Castle Alley seems to have been a covered archway entrance similar to George Yard. When was this widened out to its current width?

All the best
            Andrew

Comment

Question re: Prevalence & Types of Street Graffiti

Hi, JM! Great choice of subject.

I wonder if you, Phil, and John might be able to discuss the types and prevalence of GRAFFITI in the urban landscape.

I have read that there was a great deal of it, which is why many dismiss the GSG, but I can't help wondering what it would have said, and if it was written more often by adults than by children. Was it largely political, or vulgar, or the usual adolescent love messages, or what? Was it considered vandalism then as it is now? What were the social attitudes to it? Did anybody make an effort to document contemporary examples?

I have been meaning to ask this on the East End Photos thread, but I guess I can kill two birds by asking it here.

Thanks very much, Archaic

Comment

brilliant questions Archaic!

wish i'd thought of those...thoroughly interesting subject!
                babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

On Whitechapel Graffiti

Gee, thanks, Babybird!

I wonder if the Graffiti in Whitechapel will resemble that of ancient Pompei... ''FOR A GOOD TIME, SEE MISTRESS MAXIMUS.''

ARCHAIC WAS HERE

Comment

Actually got to see the book today! The man from delmonte he say

YES!

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                      Hi Jonathon

In discussion over coffee this week, there was discussion about a new book featuring photographs etc and connected to the name John Bennett. Could you ask your guests if there is a new book due for release? and how where? it might be available? and what its all about?

Pirate
                      I thought I could feel my ears burning...

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to all for this podcast, and thanks for covering the questions I asked about Mitre Square and Castle Alley.

A fascinating discussion on the streets and buildings without a doubt! I had a copy of the familar OS map of Whitechapel/Spitalfields open on screen while I was listening, which made Philip and John's descriptions very easy to follow indeed.

All the best
                        Andrew

Comment

Thanks Andrew!

I started a thread for discussion about the show:

A Jack the Ripper podcast devoted to discussing all aspects of the Jack the Ripper crimes and times.

but compliments on the podcast can be posted anywhere, in my opinion!

JM

Comment

Working...
                          X