Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Scotland Yard

Hi All,

Does anyone know anything about how the Dear Boss letter was returned to the Met in the late 80s?

Thanks

FGA

I also find this dubious. All I can find about it, is that it was returned by an unknown source in 1988. Could this letter and it's history infact be a relatively modern hoax?

Comment

Originally posted by Abberline43519 View Post
      Hi All,

Does anyone know anything about how the Dear Boss letter was returned to the Met in the late 80s?

Thanks

FGA
      Adam Wood wrote about the 'Dear Boss' letter-and other Ripper letters and documents-passing into the hands of Melville Macnaghten's grandson Gerald Melville Donner, and then onto one of his daughters, before finally ending up with Gerald Donner's second wife Mia Donner. Mia Donner happened to be living in Surrey when the package containing the 'Dear Boss' letter was sent from that place to Scotland Yard in 1987.
      The 'Dear Boss' letter was seen by journalist Philip Loftus hanging on a wall in Gerald Melville Donner's home in 1950.
      So while there's just a couple of gaps to fill in the timeline, and research is ongoing, Adam Wood's account is pretty convincing.

See Ripperologist Magazine #124.

JM
      Last edited by jmenges; 02-12-2022, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveshredder View Post
        Could this letter and it's history infact be a relatively modern hoax?
        -- I thought we had actual historical copies of the posters, showing fac-similes of the letter and the postcard, that were distributed by the Metropolitan Police and dated '3rd October 1888'...?!?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dear boss poster.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	781417

M.
        Last edited by Mark J D; 02-12-2022, 09:39 PM.
        (Image of Charles Allen Lechmere is by artist Ashton Guilbeaux. Used by permission. Original art-work for sale.)

Comment

Originally posted by Daveshredder View Post
          I also find this dubious. All I can find about it, is that it was returned by an unknown source in 1988. Could this letter and it's history infact be a relatively modern hoax?
          The fact that the 'Dear Boss' letter was reproduced on handbills by the Metropolitan Police after they received it would argue against it being a relatively modern hoax.

Edit- posts crossed with Mark J D. Of course he's right.

JM
          Last edited by jmenges; 02-12-2022, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
            Edit- posts crossed with Mark J D. Of course he's right.
            -- For the rest, note that that bit at the bottom about anyone 'recognising the handwriting' is what instantly guaranteed that the 'Moab and Midian' letter of 5 Oct wouldn't be in the same accomplice's handwriting: someone was suddenly very afraid of getting burned for obediently writing out someone else's hoax, and told him to sod off with his letters...

M.
            Last edited by Mark J D; 02-12-2022, 10:16 PM.
            (Image of Charles Allen Lechmere is by artist Ashton Guilbeaux. Used by permission. Original art-work for sale.)

Comment

Working...
            X