A Study in Terror on US TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Study in Terror on US TV

A cable-only station, Antenna-TV, is showing A Study in Terror on Saturday, Jan. 20. You'll have to check with your cable company to see whether you have this channel, or can get it. My company offers it as part of the digital package, but I know several companies that offer it in a package with other movie/vintage TV channels. It's a little like TVLand-- it shows vintage shows most of the time, but it show movies overnight, and on weekends. It's movies tend to be more cult and underground movie type-- not so much the stuff you fondly remember from childhood, as the stuff the older kinds talked about sneaking into a midnight showing of, but your parents expressly forbid you to see, and then you never heard of it again.

Anyway, I remember looking for A Study in Terror, the poor cousin of Murder by Decree, about eight years ago, and not being able to find it anywhere. Someone on eBay was offering VHS tapes of it for outrageous prices, and Amazon.UK had PAL VHS for more reasonable prices, but I had no way of playing PAL VHS.

I finally found a .rar file I could download from a site that wasn't too expensive. It took me about a week to track it down. I needed a password, and it was all very clandestine, so I'm not sure what the public domain status is. I had to pay for use of the download site (about $US 3.00), and then the download in separate .rar files took about 45 minutes, but the quality was pretty good. I wouldn't have found it if I didn't know a lot of people who like rare and vintage films, and post about them, though, because it wasn't just a matter of Googling the title.

Anyway, things change after eight years, and I see that A Study in Terror is now one of the "burn on demand" DVDs that Amazon.US offers. Still, if you happen to get Antenna TV, or can subscribe for a month for 1/3 of the BOD DVD price, it's worth checking out.

It's not as good as Murder by Decree, speaking strictly about acting and production values (I won't address solutions), but it is entertaining, and certainly worth DVRing if you already get AnTV.

I first saw it on a VHS tape I rented at Blockbuster about 20 years ago. It's pretty good as I remember. Maybe someone will put together a JtR box set in the future. I know some of the early ones are public domain.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

You can see it here if you don't mind Portuguese subtitles.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Thanks Robert

Bookmarked for future viewing!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Barbara Windsor as Annie Chapman? Pfft! Annie Chapman wishes.
          What's all this then?

Comment

Working...
          X