Lesbian tendencies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesbian tendencies?

Okay, after reading From Hell, I was shocked at how much of the book was spent on showing Mary Kelly's liaisons with other women... Where does this theory come from? It just seems so random and unnecessary... But I do remember hearing about it somewhere else.

Is it just a myth blown all out of proportion because of Joe Barnett complaining that Mary let her female friends stay overnight? Or is it all a figment of Alan Moore's and Eddie Campbell's sick imagination? (Let's have a hot lesbian dismebered!)
    What's all this then?

I don't think we'll ever really know if she had those tendencies BUT if you're going off the movie From Hell, you'll not get much truth. That movie is just that, a movie. I wouldn't use any of it for serious insight.
    "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

As far as I remember, it was Elizabeth Stride
      -not Mary Kelly - who was depicted as a lesbian in the movie From Hell (I haven't read the graphic novel, though).

However, as Blackcat says, it is all nonsense and there are no such indications in the factual reports or in the victims' backgrounds.
      From Hell is fairytale from beginning to end anyway and has nothing to do with any factual reality surrounding the Ripper case.

All the best
      The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
        As far as I remember, it was Elizabeth Stride
        -not Mary Kelly - who was depicted as a lesbian in the movie From Hell (I haven't read the graphic novel, though).

However, as Blackcat says, it is all nonsense and there are no such indications in the factual reports or in the victims' backgrounds.
        From Hell is fairytale from beginning to end anyway and has nothing to do with any factual reality surrounding the Ripper case.

All the best
        Let me clear something up. In the ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVEL, Mary Kelly is shown as a very promiscous lesbian and there are some very hardcore drawings in the book that showcase that.
        What's all this then?

Comment

I see. So they apparently changed that to Elizabeth Stride in the film.
          Probably they didn't felt that lesbian tendencies fitted Mary Kelly's role as female heroine in the film.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that both the graphic novel as well as the film are the worst cases of fictional rubbish and no elements appearing in any of them should be treated as facts.

All the best
          The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

How many girls have roomed with another at any time all over the World? Were they all Lesbians? Because these Women were Unfortunates does that mean they were all Lesbians?
            Unless there was definate proof of such activities there is nothing to consider. Two Women rooming together in a platonic relationship is perfectly normal.

Comment

"Two Women rooming together in a platonic relationship is perfectly normal."

Yes, but it is what it might lead to that is so exciting to think about.

c.d.

Comment

Good Lord and there we have it. Exciting to think about. Well then that answers the question doesn't it. Wonder what Depp got to see.
                "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Lesbian fantasies. The Three Stooges. Smashing beer cans into our heads and belching. Hard to believe that women put up with us.

c.d.

Comment

Hello you all!

Oh-oh, this speculation again!

Remember, dear emlodik, that Joe also said: "MJK was too kind-hearted to let them freeze in cold!"

OK, this isn't the exact quote, but that was the basic idea anyway!

All the best
                    Jukka
                    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

There was just enough in Joseph's testimony to tantalize but that is about it, as far as I have seen. Glenn is right; it was Stride, in the film who was a lesbian.

As Mitch points out, it's pretty normal for two women to room together, esp. under the conditions that many of these women lived.

Jukka, I remember Joe saying something similar to that. I think after he was pressed about it a bit.
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                        There was just enough in Joseph's testimony to tantalize but that is about it, as far as I have seen. Glenn is right; it was Stride, in the film who was a lesbian.

As Mitch points out, it's pretty normal for two women to room together, esp. under the conditions that many of these women lived.

Jukka, I remember Joe saying something similar to that. I think after he was pressed about it a bit.
                        Ugh... I don't believe this! Especially after mentioning it TWICE!!! I AM TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK, NOT THE FILM! Mary Kelly is a lesbian in "From Hell" the BOOK!!!
                        What's all this then?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
                          I see. So they apparently changed that to Elizabeth Stride in the film.
                          Probably they didn't felt that lesbian tendencies fitted Mary Kelly's role as female heroine in the film.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that both the graphic novel as well as the film are the worst cases of fictional rubbish and no elements appearing in any of them should be treated as facts.

All the best
                          Actually, the graphic novel is a very well written and researched piece of historical fiction. I'm surprised so few people on there forums have read it! As for it promoting the idiotic Crown Conspiracy, well, Alan Campbell says in the foreword that he only used that theory for story telling purposes and it is not to be taken seriously. I guess the only thing about that book that I didn't like where the gratutious scenes of hardcore sex. Seriously, I could have lived without reading/seeing (it is a graphic novel, after all) a whole section where Annie Chapman masturbates an overweight bald old guy in a bathtub... Seriously, I could have lead a long and happy life without having that image ever embedded in my fragile little mind!
                          What's all this then?

Comment

Graphic novel, that is a euphemism for comic book, right? Maybe the reason more people on these boards haven't read it is because few of them are pre-teens.

Don.
                            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by emlodik View Post
                              Ugh... I don't believe this! Especially after mentioning it TWICE!!! I AM TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK, NOT THE FILM! Mary Kelly is a lesbian in "From Hell" the BOOK!!!
                              Yes, but Glenn mentioned the movie, and in passing, I was agreeing with that. My remark to your post was that Joseph said just enough to tantalize, but not to prove anything, so in essence I was supporting what you said about MJK's lesbianism to be unsupported. A bit serpentine, but there you are.
                              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
                              X