Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 1 minute ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 22 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 34 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Busy Beaver 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (37 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (10 posts)
Witnesses: The mysterious Mrs Kennedy... - (3 posts)
Visual Media: A new BBC One documentary about one of the most infamous serial killers of all time. - (2 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Mary Ann Nichols

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
I have heard of a newspaper called the Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette, Pierre.
Thatīs the one. Do you know anything at all about this newspaper, or do you know where I could find some knowledge about it? Was it a reliable newspaper? Was it just like any other newspaper or was there anything special with it?

Regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Thatīs the one. Do you know anything at all about this newspaper, or do you know where I could find some knowledge about it? Was it a reliable newspaper? Was it just like any other newspaper or was there anything special with it?
What kind of information are you after? I mean, it was an evening newspaper published daily in the north-east of England (Sunderland being a north-eastern city). It wasn't a magic newspaper though, just a newspaper.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
What kind of information are you after? I mean, it was an evening newspaper published daily in the north-east of England (Sunderland being a north-eastern city). It wasn't a magic newspaper though, just a newspaper.
OK. How do you think the journalists at that newspaper was working, did they go to London or Whitechapel to interview people or attend inquests or did they just copy what other journalists wrote?

Regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
OK. How do you think the journalists at that newspaper was working, did they go to London or Whitechapel to interview people or attend inquests or did they just copy what other journalists wrote?
Most regional newspapers relied on press agencies or syndicated reports from the London newspapers. In the case of its reporting of the Nichols murder, I believe that the Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette was taking syndicated reports from the Star newspaper in London.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-10-2016, 12:42 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Hi Bill,

You point out a big problem within "ripperology".

The best way to solve it is to use only primary sources. You find many of them in The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook written by Evans & Skinner.

Kind regards, Pierre
Sorry Pierre the Source book is great, but it isn't a Primary Source, it mau quote some, but it itself isn't ine.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-10-2016, 12:43 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I read them only as transcribers of original sources and I do not read their own ideas.

Regards, Pierre
Well at least that's an advance from when you were telling us you never read any ripper books.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Most regional newspapers relied on press agencies or syndicated reports from the London newspapers. In the case of its reporting of the Nichols murder, I believe that the Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette was taking syndicated reports from the Star newspaper in London.
Great, I never even heard about syndicated reports before!

But how could we know that they took that from the Star in the case of the Nichols murder?

Regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-10-2016, 01:16 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
But how could we know that they took that from the Star in the case of the Nichols murder?
There's a big clue. Their report about the murder of Nichols on 1 September 1888 commences "The Star reporter says..." which is a bit of a giveaway. When it comes to the inquest, however, I think they were using a press agency report because it can be found word for word in other regional newspapers.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
There's a big clue. Their report about the murder of Nichols on 1 September 1888 commences "The Star reporter says..." which is a bit of a giveaway. When it comes to the inquest, however, I think they were using a press agency report because it can be found word for word in other regional newspapers.
Thanks David. I appreciate this.

Kind regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-12-2016, 01:39 AM
DJA DJA is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,559
Default

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunderland_Echo
__________________
My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.