William Bury the Whitechapel Murderer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cubitt View Post
    I simply say local in the sense that Mile End is "nearish" to Whitechapel (and closer than, say, Blackheath which was where Druitt lived at the time he was suspected of carrying out the murders).
    I understand.

Please realize that I was not addressing what might have been specifically your misconception. Rather, I was addressing a very widely held misconception: That Bury's various 'East End' residences qualified him as a 'local'.

Some photographs of Bury's manor: The Parish of Bromley St. Leonard (October 2007)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	657408
    Figure 1: Derelict Churchyard; Site of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

Bury was married in St. Mary's Church, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard; which was built on the site of the medieval Chapel of St. Mary, on the grounds of the Priory of St. Leonard.

Name:	stmbrom.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	657417

St. Mary's Church and its medieval foundations were destroyed during German bombing, in World War II.

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	657409
    Figure 2: Derelict Churchyard; Site of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	657410
    Figure 3: Derelict Churchyard; Site of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	657411
    Figure 4: Derelict Churchyard; Site of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	657412
    Figure 5: Derelict Churchyard; Site of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

Approximately one third of St. Mary's Church stood in the immediate foreground (i.e. this side of the hedgerow); …

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	657413
    Figure 6: Blackwall Tunnel; Site of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

… while its remaining two thirds stood here (at an elevation of approximately six feet above the highway).

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	657414
    Figure 7: High Street, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	657415
    Figure 8: 3 Spanby Road, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard ??? (Click to View in flickr)

Today's 3 Spanby Road, at its northern end / east side.

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	657416
    Figure 9: 3 Spanby Road, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard ??? (Click to View in flickr)

What I believe to have been 3 Spanby Road, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard, in 1888; at its southern end / east side (second door from the right).

Comment

Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
      Please realize that I was not addressing what might have been specifically your misconception. Rather, I was addressing a very widely held misconception: That Bury's various 'East End' residences qualified him as a 'local'.
      Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      One consequence of this is that there would have been absolutely no need for Bury to venture so far as (West) Whitechapel in order to kill - there were plenty of debauched women on the streets of Bow and Poplar for him to target, had he truly been the Ripper.
      You make some great points and the logic makes total sense to me. One of the reasons I leapt on Bury so whole-heartedly because he's the kind of suspect I would expect the criminal to be (i.e. no great conspiracy's, or many accomplices acting together, just a loner lashing out at innocent women).

If it wasn't Bury (and I realise it almost certainly wasn't) then I would expect the real killer to be someone like him, albeit much nearer to the Whitechapel area.

The other reason I liked the look of him was the manner in which he killed his wife. Did many domestic murders of the age involve this type of mutilation, does anyone know?

Btw, Septic Blue many thanks for the photos, they look great!

Comment

Thanks for those photos SB. Hope you're well my man.

I wish that I had managed to find time to perform the task I set myself 2 years ago when I met you at the Wolverhampton conference.

I had this idea of plotting all the pubs and butcher shops in the East End on a map. My plan never got off the ground due to this damn thing called "real life" and being "self-employed" working a gazillion hours a week just to stay afloat.

Not that it would have proved much I suppose but I was attempting to discover if the 2 largest users of Bury's wares (sawdust) tended to congregate round the Whitechapel area rather than Bury's area. Not that it would have proved much as I say... but it may have been interesting.
        Last edited by johns; 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM. Reason: idiocy

Comment

Originally posted by Cubitt View Post
          One of the reasons I leapt on Bury so whole-heartedly because he's the kind of suspect I would expect the criminal to be (i.e. no great conspiracy's, or many accomplices acting together, just a loner lashing out at innocent women).
          I agree to an extent, Cubitt - in fact, I voted a "2" in the poll which, for me, is quite generous (I'm serious, too!). That said, Bury's offence was that of a domestic murder, which isn't quite the same as what Jack got up to (and I'm not being flippant). There have been many husbands or lovers who have strangled their wives - and quite a few who tried to make the murder look like it was someone else's fault, thoughts about which I'm sure Bury entertained at first, before handing himself in.

Whether he determined to make Ellen's death look like one of the Ripper's we can't know for certain, although a case could be made for the idea. If he did, then his attempt was pretty feeble, with a few pathetic "rips" of no appreciable depth or length, and some stab-wounds. Bearing in mind that this was "post-Kelly", and that Bury had all the time in the world at his disposal to completely dismantle his victim, his tentative pricking of Ellen's corpse was a pretty poor show.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by johns View Post
            Thanks for those photos SB. Hope you're well my man.
            I am, John. And I hope you are doing well.

My apologies for not getting these photos posted any sooner. It has been, after all, the better part of two years since I took them.

I guess I mistakenly Bury-ed them.

Comment

No probs SB.

Here's a photo of Swaton Road I took a few years ago when I did my walk round Buryland and the Whitechapel area.

The park on the left is where Bury's house used to be.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by johns; 08-03-2009, 11:55 PM.

Comment

More chalk messages

i first read about him some time ago and would have gone for a 7 based on the information presented, but now i have given him a 3 and have similar views to Sam on this one

live long and prosper

Comment

[ATTACH]6444[/ATTACH]
                  Figure 5: Derelict Churchyard; Site of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

Approximately one third of St. Mary's Church stood in the immediate foreground (i.e. this side of the hedgerow); …

[ATTACH]6445[/ATTACH]
                  Figure 6: Blackwall Tunnel; Site of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

… while its remaining two thirds stood here (at an elevation of approximately six feet above the highway).
                  Actually, the entirety of St. Mary's Church stood at an elevation of approximately six feet, above what is now a portion of the Blackwall Tunnel.

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	657546
                  Figure 1: 'Footprint' of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard (As Depicted in 1894 OS) (Click to View in flickr)
                  Underlying Aerial Imagery: Copyright Google Earth, 2007
                  Overlying Plots, Labels and Color-Shadings: Copyright Colin C. Roberts, 2009

I had misplaced this image, which I compiled a couple of years ago, by way of an 1894 OS overlay. Obviously, I had forgotten the extent, to which the memory of the Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard had been 'erased'.

Name:	St. Mary's Church (The Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard) & How Memorial Gateway, High Street, Pa
Views:	3
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	657555
                  St. Mary's Church (The Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard) & How Memorial Gateway, High Street, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard

… as seen from the northwest (i.e. from Bromley High Street)

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	657547
                  Figure 2: How Memorial Gateway, High Street, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	657548
                  Figure 3: How Memorial Gateway, High Street, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

It would seem likely that Reverend How presided over the Holy Matrimony of Mr. & Mrs. William Bury.

Name:	St. Mary's Church (The Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard).jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	657554
                  St. Mary's Church (The Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard)

Another 'St. Mary's Church' stood a mere 350 yards to the northwest; quite literally in the middle of Bow Road, Parish of St. Mary Stratford Bow.

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	657549
                  Figure 4: Parish Church of St. Mary Stratford Bow (Click to View in flickr)

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	657550
                  Figure 5: Parish Church of St. Mary Stratford Bow (Click to View in flickr)

Farther west, along Bow Road …

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	657551
                  Figure 6: Vestry Hall (Bromley), Bow Road, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

Name:	Vestry Hall (Bromley), Bow Road, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	657557
                  Vestry Hall (Bromley), Bow Road, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard (left)

And immediately opposite …

Name:	Vestry Hall (Bow), Bow Road, Parish of St. Mary Stratford Bow.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	657556
                  Vestry Hall (Bow), Bow Road, Parish of St. Mary Stratford Bow (right)

To the immediate east of Bromley Vestry Hall …

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	657552
                  Figure 7: Headquarters, Metropolitan Police Force, K Division ('Bow'), Bow Road, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

And to the immediate west of Bromley Vestry Hall …

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	657553
                  Figure 8: The 'Bow Bells', Bow Road, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard (Click to View in flickr)

I do not know when the pub came to be known as the 'Bow Bells'; but its name is obviously a play on the notion that the sound of 'Bow Bells' emanates from St. Mary's Church (Bow Road), rather than the Parish Church of St. Mary le Bow, Cheap Ward, City of London.

The confusion that this notion might have generated, is perhaps one of the reasons the term 'Cockney' has come to be used specifically in reference to 'East Enders', rather than all Londoners.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Hi Colin
                    There are worse 'suspects' to be honest- but Mr Bury isn't amongst my list of dinner guests to be honest!!! So I randomly went for a 7 !!

Great pics though :-)
                    Last edited by Suzi; 08-30-2009, 04:50 PM.
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

[ATTACH]6460[/ATTACH]
                      St. Mary's Church (The Parish Church of Bromley St. Leonard) & How Memorial Gateway, High Street, Parish of Bromley St. Leonard
                      I obviously had a little trouble with the above attachment.

Let's have another go!

Name:	PC1.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	657559
                      Attached Files

Comment

Fine now!
                        Let's hope How doesn't see his 'Memorial Gateway'!!!!!
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                          There are worse 'suspects' to be honest- but Mr Bury isn't amongst my list of dinner guests to be honest!!! So I randomly went for a 7 !!
                          Bury is probably as viable a suspect as any other!

In light of the demographics that prevailed in the murder 'locale', in 1888; I would guess that the probability of his having been the 'Ripper' would be somewhere in the neighborhood of ~0.0002% (i.e. ~ one in 500,000).

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                          Fine now!
                          Let's hope How doesn't see his 'Memorial Gateway'!!!!!

Comment

Or 100 per cent if he was Jack the Ripper. Has anyone come up with a sensible argument as to why William Bury was not Jack the Ripper? The one about his wife's death not being as brutal as some of the other Ripper murders doesn't hold up. Considering he is the only suspect who is proven to have strangled and then mutilated a prostitute must reduce the viability of this argument considerably especially considering some consider Chapman a likely suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                              The one about his wife's death not being as brutal as some of the other Ripper murders doesn't hold up.
                              Doesn't it, John? Why ever not? Bury had all the time and privacy in the world, and he could have gone to town on Ellen's body. Yet a few comparatively minor cuts and stabs is all he could achieve, and these only after whacking her with a poker and strangling her with a rope. To cap it all, he hid her almost intact body in a box. A mutilation murder with fewer Ripper-like characteristics would be difficult to imagine.
                              Last edited by Sam Flynn; 09-02-2009, 12:20 PM.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Coincidences

Sam your wrong in pretty much everything you're saying. Firstly the M.O. used to murder Ellen Bury isn't that dissimilar to that used in by Jack the Ripper. Secondly what about the chalked messages they suggest either that Bury was the Ripper or a copycat killer. And I suppose you regard the fact that the Ripper murders stopped shortly before Bury went to Dundee as pure coincidence, the fact that Bury fits every single psych profile as coincidence and the fact that the case for Bury being the Ripper is a case based on evidence as compared to being based on utter bullshit which applies to just about every single other Ripper suspect as coincidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X