Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Monty 1 minute ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Monty 7 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by MrBarnett 9 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 20 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Monty 28 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by MrBarnett 37 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (129 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (16 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - (8 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)
Bury, W.H.: The Spooners - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Audio -- Visual

Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Glenn,

Less of the "elderly" please, Mr Andersson!!! I'm 61, which I don't think is 'elderly' in this day and age, don't look a day over 59, and feel like I'm still in my mid-twenties.

The reason I bottled out when I had my hand on the door of No 29 Hanbury Street is because I wasn't 100% certain that the building was uninhabited. The 'N Brill' barber-shop sign was still in place. I'm not 100% certain of the year, but it was 1970 give or take a year, maybe.

Like Richard, I didn't have a camera with me that day, and the next time I visited the East End No 29 had been demolished.

Cheers,

Graham

Last edited by Graham : 03-10-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Superintendent

Hi Graham.
We are of the same age I shall be 61 next month, it is strange how the area has changed over the years, obviously one has to adhere to change ,however the character of the east end has now been lost.
It is strange trying to go back like in my case to my first Whitechapel visits ,for although unknown to me at the time I was privliged to still have been able to at least get a real atmosphere to the murder sites where as today much imagination is needed even though the area still has retained its mystery.
I wish i had been more adventurous ie, obtaining some momentoes from my autumn visits, but as a eighteen year old it was just a fad I had at that period not realizing that some forty odd years later I would be participating on a Computer on a website called Casebook.
Regards Richard.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Sergeant

Graham,

Ahem, the 'elderly' part was actually tongue in cheek.

Now, this is interesting. So you mean there is a chance that the building might have had residents at the turn of the 1970s?

All the best
Old 03-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
Graham,

Ahem, the 'elderly' part was actually tongue in cheek.

Now, this is interesting. So you mean there is a chance that the building might have had residents at the turn of the 1970s?

All the best
Hi Glenn.

Tongue in cheek or not, I am still mortified..........

When I was at 29 Hanbury St, the place was virtually derelict, but it seemed to me that there might have been someone still living there. That's why I left without opening the door....just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,

Graham
Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Sergeant

Jesus Christ,
I certainly hope no one lived there at the time, for that person's sake.
Don't get me wrong, I love old buildings and I believe with some thorough renovating it could be quite charming and attractive, but as I said - considering that state it appears to have been in in the late 60s, my doubt about entering it or touching anything in there probably would have more to do with it falling to pieces like a house of cards. Would the stairs actually have been in good enough state to carry the weight of any person?

All the best
Old 03-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Glenn,

I'm not sure of the date of the James Mason film, but it probably wasn't all that long before I was there. And there was certainly someone living at No 29when James Mason visited. Even though it's less than 40 years ago, it was a different world, then.

My wife's family comes from Dublin, and she has vivid memories of visiting some old couple who lived in the ground floor of a house the roof of which had just rotted away years before. This is the 1950's.

Cheers,

Graham
Old 03-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
So you mean there is a chance that the building might have had residents at the turn of the 1970s?
Ah, Glenn, this leads me to recap on a little research I did last year at the Local History Archive.

In 1964 the residents of 29 Hanbury Street were (according to the electoral register):
Morris Fisher
William J Loughlin
Kathleen Manning
Georgina Silas

By 1968 it was down to just William J Loughlin and Kathleen Manning
Name:  1968.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  69.8 KB

The 1969 register shows No.29 to be unoccupied (as was the rest of that part of the street except No.25 which had only one tenant, Ernest Meechan). The 1970 register has it that all the houses were unoccupied, if they were there at all.

It's quite possible that Kathleen Manning is the lady who lets James Mason into No.29 in the film (made in 1967).

JB

Last edited by John Bennett : 03-12-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Inactive

'The London Nobody Knows' was filmed during 1967, and I think demolition started (or not long after) January 1970.

Rob
Old 03-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Assistant Commissioner

JB,

You are almost certainly correct regarding Kathleen Manning as being the lady in the James Mason film, if that was made in 1967.

As I said in a previous post, I'm not completely sure precisely when I was in Hanbury Street, but obviously before No 29 was demolished. There must have been something to make me think that someone was still living there.

At any rate, there was no way I was going to open that door!!

Cheers,

Graham
Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Sergeant

John,

Very interesting info. Thanks for that.
Astonishing to see that six people were still living there in 1964 and two in 1968.

Graham is of course right, that those were different days but I also think I see it from a Swedish perspective. From the 1940s onwards we had an enormous improvement in average and general living standard which couldn't (and often still can't) be seen in the rest of Europe.
I noted myself during my year in England, how primitive the general living standard appears to be for everyman (unless you have loads of money)compared to my country. Needless to say, in the 1960s it would be seen as very remarkable if a building like Hanbury Street 29 would be inhabitated in Sweden (and possibly Norway). So there's probably the reason for my astonishment.

But a very interesting and atmospheric building it is. As I said, if it had been renovated like the houses in former Church Street and properly maintained, it would have been a fantastic house today - and probably containing very expensive flats.

All the best

Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson : 03-12-2008 at 12:01 PM.