Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by caz View Post
    Hi HS,

I suppose we should have known, from how Fish slithers his way round any and all objections concerning Buck's Row, that he would do the same with Hanbury Street. He's like an electric eel.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Yes, I am a bit of a power source, whereas you are more of a curfew. Lights out.

But you are correct in pointing out "all the objections" about Bucks Row - I call these objections "alternative innocent explanations", and they do come thick and fast.

None of them can be ruled out.

And none of them can change the points of suspicion. They steadfastly remain. It´s not as Trevor Marriott seems to think - he corked up the champagne when he realized that there are alternative innocent explanations in spades (there always is) and told me that my theory had been "blown out of the water".

That´s a memorable moment.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 09-06-2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
      There's no difference, subtle or otherwise. You just said, again, exactly what I'd said you said. And... No one need misrepresent you. I think what you've written here should stand as both prologue and warning to those wishing to advocate Lechmere as Jack the Ripper.

"I cannot say that things make sense since Lechmere was a psychopath, all I can say is that IF he was the killer, then he MUST have been a psychopath, and IF he was, what he did makes sense."

With an eye on what you've written here, what evidence - however slight - do you have that Charles Lechmere was a psychopath? Do you have any such evidence? Do you have evidence that he was violent? Do you have evidence of mental issues of any kind (depression, anxiety)? Do you have evidence that he was treated for any mental disorder or issues? Do you have evidence of his arrest or incarceration?

Oh. And please don't respond with more examples of "serialists" with no history of violence or mental issues before they were arrested for serial murder. That's quite different because they were, in the end, arrested for serial murder. If we apply your metric of assuming psychopathy without something like an ARREST and/or CONVICTION for serial murder to ANY person or witness involved with nearly ANY case... then we begin to view their actions quite differently, as you should well know.
      It is apparently too subtle for you to see the difference, even.

I am not saying "Lechmere was a psychopath because he was Jack the Ripper"

I am saying "The Ripper was a psychopath. Therefore, anyone who was the killer must have been so. Ergo, if Lechmere was the Ripper, he was a psychopath".

Surely, it is not THAT subtle? Your faulty example works from how being Jack the Ripper guaranteed that Lechmere was a psychopath, but I don´t say that he was Jack the Ripper. I am saying that I THINK he was, and REGARDLESS if he was or not, it remains that the one person who WAS the Ripper will have been a psychopath.

Can you see how your variant leaves me open to all sorts of accusations of circular reasoning, whereas my variant does not? That´s subtlety for you.

Accordingly, I don´t have to present any kind of evidence at all that Lechmere was a psychopath. I am fine with saying that the Ripper undoubtedly was, and that Lechmere will have been - if he was the killer.

You see, clumsy as I may seem, I am not clumsy enough to walk into that kind of trap, Patrick. And in the end, it is only more of the "you cannot prove that he was violent" stuff - and therefore utterly useless.
      Last edited by Fisherman; 09-06-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ohrocky View Post
        Surely that isn't a reasoned argument?
        Sometimes when the wind is blowing at a certain angle, I can still hear old David Radka intoning something about British empiricism vs Continental rationalism.

"Evidence schmevidence," is how he put it.

Fish, I believe, is European. I'm an empiricist so I don't quite grasp his thinking, but it could be that he is attempting something along the lines of "pure reason" and is not as enamored of empirical data as the average Yank or Brit.

That said, I'm afraid I'm with Patrick S on this one. Put the horse back in front of the cart. Find evidence of psychopathy independent of the Ripper murders and then proceed forwards.

I've done so. Like Melville Macnaghten, I can name three men more likely to have been the Ripper, but I don't leave Tom Cutbush out either: Klosowski. Tumilty. Deeming. Widespread psychopathic behavior, proven criminal records, etc.

Any takers? I doubt it.

The trouble is, most 'Ripperologists' actively campaign against these four men as vigorously as they campaign against Lechmere and Hutchinson and Barnett and the rest of the choir boys.

Maybe Crazy Mike Barrett stumbled upon the perfect metaphor for "Ripperology": a compass without 'fingers.'

With no methodology to point north, all directions are the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
          Again, I don´t. Again, I DO know that there are normal outcomes and there are extreme deviations at times. Again, since all three parameters in this case jibe, everything points to all these parameters having developed along the normal scale.

You can dig as long as you wish for exceptions to the rule. It´s all good and well as long as you understand what "rule" means.

This is the same approach as has been used visavi Nichols, where it has been said that that blood can go on running forever in the odd case.

Odd cases. That is what you lean against. Extremes, deviations, exceptions.

Much as I do not say they do not exist, I thoroughly recommend sticking with the normal outcome as the more logical one. Not least when we have three (3) parameters in sync along the normal scale.

Anything more, Herlock?
          Normal outcomes would discount your description of Richardson’s actions.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• [QUOTE=Fisherman;455988]
            Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            There is less chance of Richardson missing an horrifically mutilated corpse in a small yard than there is of Phillips being out in his estimated TOD.
            Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            /QUOTE]

"And if you believe THAT, we´re gonna get along just fine"

(Steve Earle, "Snake Oil")

Basically, what you are saying is that an experienced medico is more likely to get things totally wrong than it is that a witness who has been shown to give wildly differing versions of events at different times is shaky - to say the least.

You are saying that it is more likely that all three parameters involved in the case are likely to have been misjudged or off - although they are in perfect sync - than it is that a shaky witness is overoptimistic about something.

Let´s just say I disagree. Totally.

But have we not been over this a hundred times now, Herlock? Do you think reiterating sillyness makes it true?
            What I’m saying is that, as the experts have said, there are so many ways that a TOD estimation could be wrong. It’s far, far easier to look around a yard and see I dismembered corpse, especially when that person says that he couldn’t have missed it.

This is end of.

You’re desperation to cling on is just an embarrassment.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

It is apparently too subtle for you to see the difference, even.

I am not saying "Lechmere was a psychopath because he was Jack the Ripper"

I am saying "The Ripper was a psychopath. Therefore, anyone who was the killer must have been so. Ergo, if Lechmere was the Ripper, he was a psychopath".

Surely, it is not THAT subtle? Your faulty example works from how being Jack the Ripper guaranteed that Lechmere was a psychopath, but I don´t say that he was Jack the Ripper. I am saying that I THINK he was, and REGARDLESS if he was or not, it remains that the one person who WAS the Ripper will have been a psychopath.

Can you see how your variant leaves me open to all sorts of accuastions of a circular reasoning, whereas my variant does not? That´s subtlety for you.

Accordingy, I don´t have to present any kind of evidence at all that Lechmere was a psychopath. I am fine with saying that the Ripper undoubtedly was, and that Lechmere will have been - if he was the killer.

You see, clumsy as I may seem, I am not clumsy enough to walk into that kind of trap, Patrick And in the end, it is only more of the "you cannot prove that he was violent" stuff - and therefore utterly useless.
              I'm not trying to put you in a trap. You're ascribing your own MO to me. You use a lot of words here to say.... essentially nothing. You haven't refuted, in the least, what I've described: YOU say that you THINK Lechmere was Jack the Ripper and that the person who WAS Jack the Ripper WILL have been a psychopath. These are your words, taken from above! Then we see that you use the fact that you THINK Lechmere was the Ripper and the Ripper WILL have been a psychopath to explain reasonable behavior that becomes sinister when we... allow that Lechmere was a psychopath. Remaining at the scene, bluffing and duping Robert Paul, The Mizen Scam, his ability to kill and appear at work completely unflustered, his appearance at the inquest. In fact, in a recent reply to me you called much of what I've listed here EVIDENCE. None of this can be credibly disputed.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
                Sometimes when the wind is blowing at a certain angle, I can still hear old David Radka intoning something about British empiricism vs Continental rationalism.

"Evidence schmevidence," is how he put it.

Fish, I believe, is European. I'm an empiricist so I don't quite grasp his thinking, but it could be that he is attempting something along the lines of "pure reason" and is not as enamored of empirical data as the average Yank or Brit.

That said, I'm afraid I'm with Patrick S on this one. Put the horse back in front of the cart. Find evidence of psychopathy independent of the Ripper murders and then proceed forwards.

I've done so. Like Melville Macnaghten, I can name three men more likely to have been the Ripper, but I don't leave Tom Cutbush out either: Klosowski. Tumilty. Deeming. Widespread psychopathic behavior, proven criminal records, etc.

Any takers? I doubt it.

The trouble is, most 'Ripperologists' actively campaign against these four men as vigorously as they campaign against Lechmere and Hutchinson and Barnett and the rest of the choir boys.

Maybe Crazy Mike Barrett stumbled upon the perfect metaphor for "Ripperology": a compass without 'fingers.'

With no methodology to point north, all directions are the same.
                Fish is actually Swedish. And he does not put the cart before the horse.

The Ripper murders display a total lack of empathy for the victims. They were treated as objects by the killer, objects with organs and flesh that he desired to cut into and - sometimes - take away.

That is a surefire indication of psychopathy if I ever saw one.

I therefore say that we may be very certain that whoever killed the C5, that person - if it was indeed one person, and I think it was - was undoubtedly a thoroughbred psychopath.

Any objections so far? Or?

As a consquence of this, I say that IF Charles Lechmere was the killer, then he must have been a psychopath. Actually, regardless of who the killer was this applis: psychopath. Doubtlessly.

Any disagreements that far?

Now, I am of course of the meaning that Lechmere is the killer, and in that respect, his behaviour after the murder seems to be very coldblooded and in line with psychopathy. But that is a suggestion, a possibility only. But one that must be looked into, I think.

Horse. Carriage. Okay?

Comment

• am back

Just a brief post to say that I will be posting regularily again in the very near future, the gap as been due to:

a) Relocation from London to Glasgow.

b) Writing up "Inside Bucks Row", nearly complete now. a summary report here in October before publication in November, nearly a year late, but such is life.

Looking at this thread, its the same repeated arguments seen before:
                  The opinion of a 19th century Doctor, should be regarded as being acurate, even when his own reports are vague, as with temperature; there was no attempt to record an actual temperature, just general descriptive terms are used.
                  Words like "cold" or "warm"tell us nothing of any real value.

The same reports also show a failure to comprehend what is actually being observed, as demonstrated by the comments on the time that would be required to carry out the murders.

Of course, phillips is not alone, similar failures are evident in Bucks Row.

It is not that the Medics made mistakes, its that their knowledge was sadly lacking, compared to even a few years later.

To take these utterances on such issues as TOD as factually acurrate is to actually ignore medicine and science, not to use it.

Glad to see nothing changes

Steve
                  Last edited by Elamarna; 09-06-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                    It’s far, far easier to look around a yard and see I dismembered corpse
                    Typo alert!

Disembowelled corpse, Herlock; the Ripper dismembered no-one.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

But it just so happens that we know that Chapman did eat before she went out on the murder night, and so that factor does not need to come into play.
                      According to Phillips she showed signs of long-standing deprivation. One meal isn't going to fix that, never mind one potato.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Annie Chapman was cold but for a little remaining heat under the intestines. She was no longer 36,5-38 degrees celsius and had not been so for the longest time.
                        If only we knew the exact figure, eh? Sadly, since Phillips did not use a thermometer, we'll never know. Instead, he gives us a vague "cold" outer skin and an unspecified "remaining heat" under the intestines, merely by using his hands. Both measures unquantified and subjective.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Typo alert!

Disembowelled corpse, Herlock; the Ripper dismembered no-one.
                          Actually, he very probably did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                            Normal outcomes would discount your description of Richardson’s actions.
                            You are a bit triggerhappy, and that won´t do.

These matters are something we can only judge when we know exactly how he moved on the night and in what light conditions, how the door moved and so on. It is in relation to those factors, all of them unknown to a larger or lesser degree, we can judge how a normal outcome would look.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Herlock Sholmes;456002]
                              Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                              [B]

What I’m saying is that, as the experts have said, there are so many ways that a TOD estimation could be wrong. It’s far, far easier to look around a yard and see I dismembered corpse, especially when that person says that he couldn’t have missed it.

This is end of.

You’re desperation to cling on is just an embarrassment.
                              Then you should be glad to hear that I am in no way embarrassed. Not do I have any reason to be so.

TOD is a hard art, but taking that as evidence that Phillips may have missed out totally and utterly on a corpse that had been dead for a very short time only (although not as short as you seem to think) is sheer folly, not least since we have all three parameters jibing.

It´s like saying that it is hard to recognize people you havent seen for a while. It matters a whole lot if that while is ten years or ten minutes.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Patrick S;456003]

YOU say that you THINK Lechmere was Jack the Ripper and that the person who WAS Jack the Ripper WILL have been a psychopath.

Ah! NOW you´ve finally got it! Good!!

These are your words, taken from above!

My words don´t come from above, Patrick. I am but a humble man!

Then we see that you use the fact that you THINK Lechmere was the Ripper and the Ripper WILL have been a psychopath to explain reasonable behavior that becomes sinister when we... allow that Lechmere was a psychopath.

That is one way of describing it. Try this instead:

I am sure the Ripper was a psychopath. If you think I am wrong, then say so.
                                Consequentially, whoever was the killer will reasonably have acted as a psychopath.
                                I personally think, owing to the many points of suspicion against Lechmere, that there can be little doubt that he was the Ripper.

Ergo, I am interested in checking whether there are any matters that seem compatible with my takes that the killer was A/ a psychopath and B/Charles Lechmere. That is to say, I am anxious to take a look at whether the actions of Lechmere on the night are actions that may give away psychopathy.

As it happens, it seems that he may have decided to con Robert Paul, it seems he lied to Mizen to pass him by, he had no problems appearing in court, he did not panick and flee the murder site, etcetera.
                                All of these things fit in nicely with a psychopathic disposition and so I can easily say that if Lechmere truy was the killer, then he did a number of things that are in line with being a psychopath.
                                If I did not run this kind of check, I would be a comlete and utter idiot. It would be like knowing that a killer set off purple footprints and then abstaining from checking a suspects footprints because I was not sure that he was the killer. The one difference would be that Lechneres actions are not as conclusive as the purple footprints would have been , but the principle is the same: If you are certain that the killer is a psychopath, don´t forget to check for possible psychopathic traits in your suspect/s. There is nothing wrong with that, it is instead (not so very) common sense.

Remaining at the scene, bluffing and duping Robert Paul, The Mizen Scam, his ability to kill and appear at work completely unflustered, his appearance at the inquest. In fact, in a recent reply to me you called much of what I've listed here EVIDENCE. None of this can be credibly disputed.

Could you direct me to that recent post, please, and I will see if I overstepped the line. It is in evidence that there was a disagreement between Mizen and Lechmere, but it is not proven that it was on account of Lechmere being the culprit, for example, and I don´t think I have said it was so.

Comment

Working...
                                X