Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Elizabeth Long Give Evidence At Another Inquest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Elizabeth Long Give Evidence At Another Inquest?

In September 1900 an Elizabeth Long of Lyall Road, Antill Road, Bow testified at the inquest into the death of a Lady Kirby who had died at Liverpool Street Station. Before I waste my few remaining credits on 'Find My Past' looking at the relevant press report, does anyone know if this was the same Elizabeth Long who gave evidence at the Chapman inquest?

Regards, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Lyall (I assume it should be Lyal) Road and Antill Road? ...presumably one of those upwardly mobile ladies in E3 Colin (Heh Heh)...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
      In September 1900 an Elizabeth Long of Lyall Road, Antill Road, Bow testified at the inquest into the death of a Lady Kirby who had died at Liverpool Street Station. Before I waste my few remaining credits on 'Find My Past' looking at the relevant press report, does anyone know if this was the same Elizabeth Long who gave evidence at the Chapman inquest?

Regards, Bridewell.
      Any indication into the type of testimony in the second case?

It would be interesting, and perhaps very telling, if she inserted herself into another investigation.

curious

Comment

Hi Bridewell

I haven't clicked on everyone in the street but there was in 1901 an Elizabeth Long on that road, described as Bethnal Green, living with husband William, a house decorator from Liverpool. They were in that road (different number) in 1891, now described as MEOT. In 1881 they were at Cardigan Rd Bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          Hi Bridewell

I haven't clicked on everyone in the street but there was in 1901 an Elizabeth Long on that road, described as Bethnal Green, living with husband William, a house decorator from Liverpool. They were in that road (different number) in 1891, now described as MEOT. In 1881 they were at Cardigan Rd Bow.
          Hi Robert,

That probably answers the question as the Chapman witness was married to a 'James', a cart-minder like herself, and living at 39, Blythe Street, Bethnal Green. This looks, to me, to be a different Elizabeth Long.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            Hi Robert,

That probably answers the question as the Chapman witness was married to a 'James', a cart-minder like herself, and living at 39, Blythe Street, Bethnal Green. This looks, to me, to be a different Elizabeth Long.

Regards, Bridewell.
            Too bad.

Keep looking, Colin, you do come up with some interesting information on these witnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
              Lyall (I assume it should be Lyal) Road and Antill Road? ...presumably one of those upwardly mobile ladies in E3 Colin (Heh Heh)...

All the best

Dave
              Hi Dave,

One reference says 'Antill Road'; the other refers to 'Lyall (sic) Road, Antill Road'.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

That archive is useful but difficult to search and rather slow to load.

There was a funny bit where Macdonald or Baxter heard a case from Duval St. He asked where it was, and on being told it was the new name of Dorset St, said that he knew the street well and it was an old friend with a different face.

Comment

That archive is useful but difficult to search and rather slow to load.
                  Hi, Robert,

I'm inclined to agree, but I acquired some free credits through a Daily Mail promotion and thought I'd do what I could with them. The newspaper archive isn't available on Ancestry unfortunately.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Working...
                  X