Clue 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clue 3.

In a letter to the Home Office on September 19, 1888, Charles Warren the Met Police Commissioner wrote:

No progress has as yet been made in obtaining any definite clue to the Whitechapel murderers. A great number of clues have been examined & exhausted without finding any thing suspicious.
    A large staff of men are employed and every point is being examined which seems to offer any prospect of a discovery.
    There are at present three cases of suspicion.

1. (Isensmith {sic})

2. (Puckeridge)

3. A Brothel Keeper who will not give her address or name writes to say that a man living in her house was seen with blood on him on morning of murder. She described his appearance & said where he might be seen - when the detectives came near him he bolted, got away & there is no clue as to the writer of the letter.

1. Isenschmidt and 2. Puckeridge are discussed in some detail in various books, etc.

3. was discussed very briefly in Scotland Yard Investigates with this: "The third suspect was not traced, and the brothel-keeper was not identified." I have placed this thread under Chapman because from the date of the Warren letter, and the phrase "on morning of murder" I assume it is referring to her murder, which took place on the morning of Sept. 8. The mysterious Clue 3. remains an enigma.

Roy
    Sink the Bismark

Hi Roy,

It doesn't sound like the woman knew the man's name so I guess he resided in the house she lived in but didn't own. It really tells us almost nothing so who knows. Interesting to think about though. Where are the detectives' records of the event I wonder?
    Last edited by sdreid; 06-19-2008, 04:53 AM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
    X