Access to the back of #29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to the back of #29

Hi all first time post here but I've been lurking on this site for a while and there is something I can't quite figure out (or should I say something needs confirming). How did Annie Chapman (and the Ripper) gain access to the back of #29? Am I right in assuming that they simply walked through the front door, went through the passage way and used the back door? Or was there some other way into #29?

I am sorry if this has been discussed, I've looked and done a quick search on the forum. I may have missed it and I am sorry if I have done this.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Laphtiya View Post
    Am I right in assuming that they simply walked through the front door, went through the passage way and used the back door?
    Yep, that's right.

Comment

Hello Laphtiya,

That's exactly what they did, so most of us believe. How the Ripper left is another topic for discussion, as well.

Take a look at this thread and you'll see photos, alleged to be, of the passage.

Welcome to the site.
      Last edited by Celesta; 09-08-2009, 10:38 PM.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Its remotely possible that he was already in the yard, maybe waiting out Annie and another client....in the privy. It was unlocked, or the lock had been broken, as I recall.

There was also a broken lock on a door in the space over the unused stables in Dutfields Yard I believe.

Cheers all.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the speedy replies

From what I've read the last time some one saw Annie Chapman was at 5:30 am with the Body being discovered at 6am. It is possible that the Ripper simply walked through the front door again (or hopped over the back fence)? I mean look at Catherine Eddowes, last saw at 1:35am and then found at 1:45am and you all know what happened to her in those 10 short minutes. Is it not possible that within these 30 minutes he did what he wanted and simply left the scene?

But back on topic thanks alot for confirming what I needed to know.

Comment

Point of fact...I think

Guys,

Im working from memory here, but Richardson stated that he came across an unknown man and a woman in the yard some weeks prior to the Chapman murder, alluding to a prostitute and client.

Like I say, I may be wrong. Maybe someone can clarify.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I don't think Richardson gave any specific dates, Monty, although he did say that he'd often found men and women (I don't think he said "together") in the passage at various hours of the night, and had turfed them out. It's possible that they were just crashing out there on an impromptu doss.

It's worth noting, in this context, his mother's report of a man who'd taken to sleeping on the stairs at #29, as he waited for Spitalfields Market to open. He had done so on more than one occasion a month or so before the murder, being found there in the first instance by one of her lodgers. Mrs Richardson's lodger had told her that the man spoke with a foreign accent.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Many thanks for clarifying Gareth.

I havent freshed on this particular murder for some time now so wasnt certain.

It seems as if access to the passage and yard was fairly easy.

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Just the knowledge of an available backyard with an open door and passageway is indication of how intimately the killer must have known his area. If I'm not mistaken, the door had to be opened at each end as well. How could anyone inexpert in the minutiae of the East End have known about this? Blind luck, I suppose.

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                    Just the knowledge of an available backyard with an open door and passageway is indication of how intimately the killer must have known his area. If I'm not mistaken, the door had to be opened at each end as well. How could anyone inexpert in the minutiae of the East End have known about this? Blind luck, I suppose.

Mike
                    That brings up an interesting point Mike, If Im not mistaken the conventional wisdom on this point is that he was taken to locations, not that he led. That doesnt to me mean it precludes prior knowledge of the location(s), just that he likely didnt take them there on their respective final evenings.

There is a show called Cities of the Underworld on History Channel which recently visited London, and the narrator made too strong an assertion that the sewers were the probable avenues for Jacks movements after murders. He said that sewer grates were accessible to all the Canonicals sites.

To my mind not the most probable answer here, but it did raise an interesting point that with some casual study of the local area and various points of egress/ingress to these tiny little sites someone not raised on those streets might get around fairly swiftly and without much crossing of major thoroughfare depending on his escape directions.

This site at Hanbury could just be a well used Unfortunate site that on that night was used randomly by Annie Chapman, and he still might have known in advance if led there that those doors were unlocked.

One has to wonder if he knew beat information in Mitre Square too. He apparently left via the one of 3 accessways that werent subject to a patrolman at any moment.

Cheers Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                      There is a show called Cities of the Underworld on History Channel which recently visited London, and the narrator made too strong an assertion that the sewers were the probable avenues for Jacks movements after murders.
                      The sewers were the avenues for everybody's movements, on a daily basis, Mike
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hey! It's suppertime here. Cut it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          The sewers were the avenues for everybody's movements, on a daily basis, Mike
                          lol

Archaic

Comment

hope someone can help,if 'jack' left 29 Hanbury Street via the back fence what street/road would he of then be on,also were there rows of houses on the other side of the fence?

Again thanks for any help

dixon9
                            still learning

Comment

Originally posted by dixon9 View Post
                              hope someone can help,if 'jack' left 29 Hanbury Street via the back fence what street/road would he of then be on,also were there rows of houses on the other side of the fence?

Again thanks for any help

dixon9
                              still learning
                              Just checking the map here, it looks like if the Ripper had leapt the fence in any direction he would not have been on any street but in the midst of a large area- no doubt crowded with houses- north of Hanbury Street and bordered by Grey Eagle Street to the west and Brick Lane to the east. The intersection of Brick Lane and Woodseer Street was a block or so northeast of #29. Of course if he had vaulted the part of the fence right next to Annie's body he would have found himself in Albert Cadoche's back yard.

By the way, a rather obvious question occurred to me as I was perusing the posts here. If the residents of #29 kept finding undesirables in their back yard and corridor, why not invest in some locks? But then a possible answer occurred to me- too much trouble to get 17 copies made of the key?

Comment

Working...
                              X