When her body was carried away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When her body was carried away...

I read somewhere that when Annie Chapman was taken to the morgue, her organs were placed back inside the gash in her abdomen. Is that something that it is still practiced today when similar crimes occur? It just seems so unprofessional, filthy, uncaring, humiliating to the victim as well destroying evidence and screwing up the autopsy. In fact, I'm surprised Scotland Yard would do something like that even in 1888! Oh, by the way, do you guys think her body was washed before or after the the post-mortem stitching? If it was before, I can only imagine what those two nurses had to go through!
    What's all this then?

The organs were still attached so I guess there would be nothing else to do but to put them back. They would probably do the same thing today but only after many pictures were taken and all investigators were satisfied nothing else could be gained by leaving body in situ. Crimescene Technitions would probably make the suggestion that they have completed their work and Detectives in charge would probably have the final say. The body would remain under a tent until everyone was satisfied all trace evidence and any other info to be gathered was completed.

Phillips says in the inquest he believed the body could have been partially washed before he was able to perform autopsy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Rowe View Post
      The organs were still attached so I guess there would be nothing else to do but to put them back. They would probably do the same thing today but only after many pictures were taken and all investigators were satisfied nothing else could be gained by leaving body in situ. Crimescene Technitions would probably make the suggestion that they have completed their work and Detectives in charge would probably have the final say. The body would remain under a tent until everyone was satisfied all trace evidence and any other info to be gathered was completed.

Phillips says in the inquest he believed the body could have been partially washed before he was able to perform autopsy.
      Ah, that makes sense, thanks for that, Mitch. But I still find it difficult imagining a body with gaping holes in the throat, abdomen and genitals being washed.
      What's all this then?

Comment

Hi Emlodik,
        the body has been washed by two nurses, Mary Simonds and Frances Wright (and you know it, since you posted recently about it!!).

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Originally posted by emlodik View Post
          Ah, that makes sense, thanks for that, Mitch. But I still find it difficult imagining a body with gaping holes in the throat, abdomen and genitals being washed.
          The whole point of Ripperology is try to learn how people thought in 1888.

Not how you might react today.

There was no morg. Just a tin hunt were bodies were taken, washed down and buried. The Victorians had a totally different view of life and death..

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post

There was no morg. Just a tin hunt were bodies were taken, washed down and buried. The Victorians had a totally different view of life and death..
            I dont know about that. My Sisters are Paramedics and I imagine they have been involved in some pretty gruesome auto accident scenes. I know they have worked with our County Pathologist and have attended autopsies.
            And they are so pretty and prim and proper. One would never know they are involved in stuff like that. In addition. Women have begun to take on combat roles traditionally reserved for Men in these modern times.

Im not one to think People were that much different back then. Sure there are cultural differences related to place and time but I like to think People are People and those neighborhoods back then seem to have had alot of parallels to neighborhoods I have lived in.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post

Oh I know...even some of the lodging houses beds were like wooden coffins or was it workhouses, i saw the photos anyway. Might it have been a hey ho, this is where you'll go, so get comfortable.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2009, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X