Perfect Teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Teeth

Am I the only one who finds it odd the way the coroner was gushing over poor Annie Chapman's "fine teeth?" Here we have a woman who's been ravaged by syphillys and tuberculosis, had her head nearly severed and her insides ripped out, yet the coroner feels like complimenting her on the great shape her teeth were in (sans two.) What a creep!
    What's all this then?

Originally posted by emlodik View Post
    Am I the only one who finds it odd the way the coroner was gushing over poor Annie Chapman's "fine teeth?"
    It was Dr Bagster Phillips (the police surgeon, not the coroner) who thus described her teeth. Whether he was a "creep", or whether this was a routinely detailed description of the medical condition of the deceased, is difficult to say.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

To be fair to Phillips. Ther was nothing like the forms and papers that a modern pathologist would fill out today. To him that may have been something important. Something that set Annie apart from the rest. These guys were working on the fly and its too bad that they did because now it makes for a sort of investigative mess. I mean as an example. How am I ever to truly know whether JTR took MJKs heart home with him. Phillips said all parts were there. Bond describes heart as missing. If they both had a duty to weigh MJKs heart and fill in the blanks on a form then we would know for sure.
      Phillips was a good Man and he repeatedly complained that the conditions he was forced to work under would thwart the means of Justice.

Comment

Isn't there a condition of syphillis that can alter the appearance of the teeth?
        Without checking I think it is known as 'Hutchinsons Teeth'

Comment

I guess most of Annie's peers would have had bad teeth, so maybe she stood out. Don't know if alcoholism damages the teeth, but malnutrition and bad food does certainly
          In heaven I am a wild ox
          On earth I am a lion
          A jester from hell and shadows almighty
          The scientist of darkness
          Older than the constellations
          The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Originally posted by cats meat man View Post
            Isn't there a condition of syphillis that can alter the appearance of the teeth?
            Without checking I think it is known as 'Hutchinsons Teeth'
            Indeed - only in congenital syphilis, though. You don't get Hutchinson's Teeth from contracting syphilis later in life.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Well, you guys bring up some good points, still, parts of that inquest made me feel as if I was reading Edgar Allan Poe's "Berenice."
              What's all this then?

Comment

At that time, in that place, that was probably an interesting fact. Poor Annie Chapman was a middleaged, Malnutritioned alcoholic living in a slum and suffering from an advanced case of tuberculosis in 1888. Nice teeth were probably rare for people in her circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord-z View Post
                  At that time, in that place, that was probably an interesting fact. Poor Annie Chapman was a middleaged, Malnutritioned alcoholic living in a slum and suffering from an advanced case of tuberculosis in 1888. Nice teeth were probably rare for people in her circumstances.
                  Yes.. I think it was unusual enough to mention. Like Pollys clean thighs.

Comment

Working...
                  X