Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Annie Chapman baptism information

Annie Chapman’s baptism entry has now been found as follows:

Annie Eliza Smith on the 23rd April at Christchurch, St Pancras. The church was local to where her father George Smith was stationed at Upper Albany Street by Regents Park, but their address was recorded on the register as Knightsbridge.
    Also, two new siblings have been found. At the same church on the 2nd June 1844, a brother for Annie was christened and named George William Thomas Smith.
    In 1854, another brother William Smith was christened on 1st February at Christchurch, St Pancras. But after only five months of life the child died. He was buried on the 3rd June at Holy Trinity, Brompton. The family lived at Raphael Street at that time and their sadness did not end there. Their eldest son died aged 12 and was buried only thirteen days after his younger brother.
    “be just and fear not”

Just want to point out - the above made on behalf of Neal
    “be just and fear not”

Comment

thanks

Hello Jenni. Thanks for your and Neal's hard work on this.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Ditto

Comment

Thanks for the info, Jenni, but I'm having a problem & it seems like your math isn't working out. If the oldest son was George William, born 1844, and he was buried in 1854, he would have been 10, not 12 (allowing for exact DOB & DOD, of course). Was there a son born BEFORE George?

Also, please excuse my ignorance, but since Jenni uses BOTH terms, I thought I'd check and ask if "christening" and "baptizing" are the same in the Church of England rites. I realize that the actual terms are different: christening is giving the child a name and baptizing is the immersion etc., but I know next to nothing on how they are used in C of E parlance. (Heck, I'm not even certain if Church of England & Anglican are the same- they seem usually to be used as if synonymous, but other times are mentioned together like there's a difference.)

- CFL

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
            Thanks for the info, Jenni, but I'm having a problem & it seems like your math isn't working out. If the oldest son was George William, born 1844, and he was buried in 1854, he would have been 10, not 12 (allowing for exact DOB & DOD, of course). Was there a son born BEFORE George?

Also, please excuse my ignorance, but since Jenni uses BOTH terms, I thought I'd check and ask if "christening" and "baptizing" are the same in the Church of England rites. I realize that the actual terms are different: christening is giving the child a name and baptizing is the immersion etc., but I know next to nothing on how they are used in C of E parlance. (Heck, I'm not even certain if Church of England & Anglican are the same- they seem usually to be used as if synonymous, but other times are mentioned together like there's a difference.)

- CFL
            Yes baptism and christening are the same horse with different names.

And yes CofE and Anglican the same.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

It could be that George was already a toddler when he was baptised. The baptism entry doesn't give a date of birth as some do, so he wasn't necessarily born in 1844, just baptised.

Later children of George and Ruth were all baptised on the same day in Sept 29 1867 and their dates of birth are given in each entry showing they were aged 11, 9 and 6 at baptism.

Tthere is also a daughter Miriam, baptised 25th Jan 1852 who also sadly died in June qtr of 1854, exactly the same quarter that the deaths of George William Thomas and William were recorded.

Comment

Working...
              X