Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move to Murder: Who Killed Julia Wallace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, perhaps it is time for some forensic linguistics.
    'I then went out and bought some cigarettes, Players No 3, and the Evening Express from Mr Hodgson, Post Office, Maiden Lane,
    on the way to my young lady's house. When I was turning the corner by the Post Office I remembered that I had promised to call
    for my accumulator at Hignetts in West Derby Road, Tuebrook. I went there and got my accumulator and then went down
    West Derby Road and along Lisburn Lane to Mrs Williamsons, 49, Lisburn Lane, and saw her. We had a chat about a 21st birthday party
    for about 10 minutes and then I went to 7, Missouri Road, and remained there till about 11 to 11.30pm when I went home.'

"Two main linguistic strategies have been identified in deceptive written witness statements (Picornell, 2012). The first strategy follows a prolix & personal approach. Here, the deceiver’s aim is to be cooperatively vague. The narrative is verbose and highly personal, with over half of clauses containing first person singular pronouns. Contrary to previous studies which find that liars use less first person pronouns than truth tellers, their very high use (50%+ of clauses) is a key characteristic of the deceptive strategy. However, the pronouns do not all carry the same weight. Alternative self-references to I are manipulated, giving an impression of immediacy associated with truth telling, but which instead allows the author to be removed from the action. High use of my is a characteristic of this deceptive strategy; the author is still present, but only as the owner of something. In spite of the highly personal nature of the statement, the author remains non-committal. Nearly a third of clauses contain word classes (such as negation, cognition words, verb strings and vague pronoun references) associated with ambiguity or subjective information, the sort of language which pads out a narrative without contributing much that is relevant. The narrator intends to appear helpful by providing a detailed account of the event in which he or she appears to be highly immediate, but renders the information safe through the use of ambiguity and subjective information.
    Analysing Deception in Written Witness Statements, Isabel Picornell PhD
    Linguistic Evidence in Security, Law and Intelligence (LESLI), Volume 1, No. 1 (2013)

and

"Narratives as a Progression of Episodes
    Credibility arises from addressees believing that the reportable event did indeed occur in real time (Labov, 2001). To achieve this, narrators have to introduce a chain of events that explain how the reportable event came about in order to get their theory of causality across to their audience.

Narrators use segmentation markers as grammatical signals to manage the flow of information in their story and facilitate readers’ understanding of events. These segmentation markers are created by deviating from standard sentence structures to rarer (marked) forms. Marked sentence structures are defined as those sentences that have an initial adjunct, subordinate clause or phrase, or prepositional phrase with an adverbial function (McEwen & Prideaux, 1997).

The creation of marked sentence structures is always deliberate and always context sensitive. These sentence structures serve to divide narratives into episodes, alerting readers to changes in continuity in the narrative. They highlight information contained in the sentence, drawing readers’ attention to major changes in topic (i.e., people and place) (example A), or to temporal shifts in the narrative (examples B and C); then serves to signal the temporal order of lesser events within a larger episode. Marked structures also highlight information the narrator considers important (examples D and E).

Episode segmentation markers are important as they reflect the narrators’ own subconscious decision to break the continuity of the narrative. Excessive narrative fragmentation is associated with artificial timelines commonly found in deceptive narratives. When a sequence of events is imagined or when temporal lacunae occur, the continuity of the narrative breaks down. Narratives fragment into multiple short episodes because the events described are not anchored in real time (Picornell, 2012)"
    The Flexible Liar: a strategy for deception detection in written witness statements, Isabel Picornell PhD, CFE
    Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (2013) , paper
    Last edited by RodCrosby; 11-22-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Not to get too engaged in the case, but a couple of points.First,is it a fact that the national speed limit in England,in 1931,was 30 miles an hour. The other point is that when trying to interpret the elements of a witness statement,should not the level of education of the witness be considered.

Comment

• Harry - as crazy as it may seem - the [20 mph] national speed limit had been abolished entirely by the Labour Government, in the Road Traffic Act of August 1930.

A national speed limit was not restored [to the current 30 mph] until the RTA 1934, introduced by the National/Conservative Government.

Traffic lights did not appear in Liverpool until late 1932 / early 1933...
        I've scoured the forum a few times to see if traffic lights have been a subject, without success. In 1948 I used to ride my bike from the Walton Hall Avenue area, to Water Street by the Pier Head. I cannot recall passing through any traffic lights - all biggish juctions were controlled by a Bobby on point duty, ie. bottom of Everton Vally, Rotunda, Casneau Street? etc. Does anyone know when and where the first traffic lights were installed in Liverpool?

As to your second point, I have no information. Do you?
        Last edited by RodCrosby; 11-22-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• I was referring to the information in Wikipedia under the heading Justification,which gives the 30 M.P.H as being introduced in 1930 in built up areas.No indication there that it was recinded.Not that it would have prevented speeding of course.

As to my second point,I would say yes.Depending on education,I would expect different persons,of different educational standards, to explain happenings in different wording.

Comment

• Your reference was from an error in Wikipedia, which i have now corrected, Harry. The 30mph speed limit was introduced in 1934. There were no speed limits in 1931.

On your second point I'd agree. That is why, I guess, forensic linguists focus on the types of words, and the structure of sentences that liars may use.

Comment

• Originally posted by RodCrosby View Post
              OK, perhaps it is time for some forensic linguistics.
              Using the outcome of the two studies you quote, there are indicators that Parry may have been lying. And he may have been, though most of his story is verifiable.

A caution to placing too much stock in a forensic analysis of the statement is that forensic linguistics is relatively young and is a burdgeoning 'science' and the sample size (Parry's statement) is small. Also, language and speech patterns change over time and conclusions which apply to modern speech may not apply to older recordings of speech.

That said, for the purposes of this thread, let's accept that Parry was (or may have been) lying - I'm intrigued as to where this leads.

Comment

• Hi Eten and Rod
                As you can see, I like to cut right to the chase.

can you both let me know who you think did it or most likely and some brief points why?

I apologize for being so blunt, but I have difficulty deciminating a lot of detailed info at one time. Its easier for me to see ones overall theory/idea first and then work back from that looking at the evidence which supports it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  Hi Eten and Rod
                  As you can see, I like to cut right to the chase.

can you both let me know who you think did it or most likely and some brief points why?
                  Hi Abby

I don't have a theory on who the killer was. Having looked at the case, I have come to the conclusion it was neither Parry nor Wallace.

Parry has an alibi, as does Wallace, though with some tweaks to the timings it is just possible that Wallace could have committed the murder.

Other than alibis, it is the Qualtrough phone call that rules out both of them for me. There is no good reason either Wallace or Parry would find the call useful or necessary. So we need to find a reason for the call. The only reason I find compelling for the call, is that the murderer both wanted Wallace out of the way and to supply a reason for him to call on Julia without raising suspicion, so she would invite him in (he pretends to be Qualtrough there to meet Wallace and she invites him to wait). For this to work, it would need to be someone Julia didn't know, but possibly Wallace did - hence the left message rather than speaking with Wallace. This would also explain why that particular phone box was used as the murderer needed to know for sure Wallace was going to the chess club and needed to time his call for just after Wallace had left.

So my best understanding at this stage is that the killer was someone who Wallace knew but Julia did not. A possible variant might be that the call was made by someone Wallace knew (most likely Parry) but the killer was an accomplice who Julia did not know.
                  Last edited by etenguy; 11-23-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by etenguy View Post
                    Hi Abby

I don't have a theory on who the killer was. Having looked at the case, I have come to the conclusion it was neither Parry nor Wallace.

Parry has an alibi, as does Wallace, though with some tweaks to the timings it is just possible that Wallace could have committed the murder.

Other than alibis, it is the Qualtrough phone call that rules out both of them for me. There is no good reason either Wallace or Parry would find the call useful or necessary. So we need to find a reason for the call. The only reason I find compelling for the call, is that the murderer both wanted Wallace out of the way and to supply a reason for him to call on Julia without raising suspicion. For this to be necessary, it would need to be someone Julia didn't know, but possibly Wallace did - hence the left message rather than speaking with Wallace. This would also explain why that particular phone box was used as the murderer needed to know for sure Wallace was going to the chess club and needed to time his call for just after Wallace had left.

So my best understanding at this stage is that the killer was someone who Wallace knew but Julia did not. A possible variant might be that the call was made by someone Wallace knew (most likely Parry) but the killer was an accomplice who Julia did not know.
                    Thank you Eten

re Wallace tight timing to commit the murder and head off to the tram.

I think a lot of times with murders and timings theres always this question of tight timing. its a natural tendency to almost expect there to be alarger times frame so as to easier fit someone in. However, perhaps that's just the time it took the killer to do it and it just seems tight to us. it happened quick, everything went according to plan-and that's all the time he needed.

to me this is how I view wallaces alibi. he really didn't have one. perhaps that's just how fast it went.

added to that no one saw parry, or any unknown suspicious person around there place at the time.

im afraid at this point Im still pretty much where I was a while back. 40% Wallace, 30% Parry 30% unknown/other person.
                    Last edited by Abby Normal; 11-23-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      re Wallace tight timing to commit the murder and head off to the tram.

I think a lot of times with murders and timings theres always this question of tight timing. its a natural tendency to almost expect there to be alarger times frame so as to easier fit someone in. However, perhaps that's just the time it took the killer to do it and it just seems tight to us. it happened quick, everything went according to plan-and that's all the time he needed.

to me this is how I view wallaces alibi. he really didn't have one. perhaps that's just how fast it went.

added to that no one saw parry, or any unknown suspicious person around there place at the time.

im afraid at this point Im still pretty much where I was a while back. 40% Wallace, 30% Parry 30% unknown/other person.
                      If we believe Wallace was the killer, then why the phone call and why not just commit the murder on the Monday with the chess match as his alibi. A much better alibi in my opinion. The timings would be almost identical.

It has been suggested the invention of Qualtrough would throw the scent off Wallace - but it doesn't do that. And even if it might have, Beattie was convinced that the caller definitely was not Wallace and swore to that in Court.

It could not possibly have been Parry unless we believe that the Brine's were also involved in supplying a false alibi. I think that unlikely given it was the son that had a relationship with Parry, and the rest of the family knew him through the son.

If, as I do, we discount these two - we are left with an as yet unknown murderer either working alone or with someone else, possibly Parry.

Comment

Rod asked an insightful question in one of his earlier posts - who needed Qualtrough to exist?
                        Well certainly Wallace - whether guilty or not - was in dire need of some other suspect apart from himself. The husband is always going to be the prime suspect without evidence against anyone else. Clearly, Qualtrough served that purpose very well, being a mystery suspect. But was he and Wallace one and the same?

Also, the fact that Parry was obviously a wrong'un doesn't really help. If it's evidence that he had it in him to batter someone to death, it could also be seen as the reason Wallace named him to the police. Just as he needed Qualtrough as his alternative suspect, he needed someone who could be identified as a local bad boy, who knew the Wallaces and the City Cafe well enough to fit the bill. Parry, if not guilty, was extremely convenient for Wallace, regardless of who did kill Julia. If the whole thing was planned by Wallace, almost like a game of chess, he absolutely had to have someone just like Parry, who could be his Qualtrough too.

One other thing for now...

Does anyone find it a bit odd that when Beattie gave Wallace the address, as 25 Menlove Gardens East, Wallace initially repeated it as 25 Menlove Gardens West, before Beattie corrected him and said the caller had definitely said East? It's almost as though Wallace was having an uncanny premonition about the events of the following evening, 24 hours before he could - or should - have known there would be such significance attached to the difference between East and West!

Oh, just one more thing...

The evidence suggests the front door was bolted from the inside when Wallace returned home, in which case his key would have been no use at all when he tried to unlock it. Assuming he didn't bolt the front door himself, before leaving via the back door [which was unbolted on his return but almost as stubborn as the front door had been], who did bolt it and when? Julia could not have let a visitor in through the front door without unbolting it, and dead women can't bolt doors after their killer has left. So any visitor that night must have come to the back door first, expecting Julia to invite them in, and must have left the same way after killing her in the parlour. I can't see any reason why either Julia or her killer would have bolted the front door after she had invited him in. If the killer bolted it to gain time, in case Wallace arrived back early, while he was still there, how would he know which door Wallace would try first? The first thing intruders usually do is to make sure they have a quick and easy exit, in case they are surprised. So I doubt the killer would have bolted either door against Wallace's possible return, and be left fumbling with it later, if Wallace entered by the other. Even worse if he bolted both doors, leaving himself trapped inside, not knowing if a frustrated Wallace was at the front or back of the house.

Did Wallace make a fatal error? Did he leave by the back door after killing Julia, without checking that the front door was unbolted for "Qualtrough", as it would need to be for Julia to let him in that way? Did Julia bolt the door out of habit, after the milk was delivered, without Wallace realising it, so it was still bolted when he delivered the fatal blow to her head, and when he returned from MGE?

Have a good weekend all.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        Last edited by caz; 11-23-2018, 11:17 AM.
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                          Did Wallace make a fatal error? Did he leave by the back door after killing Julia, without checking that the front door was unbolted for "Qualtrough", as it would need to be for Julia to let him in that way? Did Julia bolt the door out of habit, after the milk was delivered, without Wallace realising it, so it was still bolted when he delivered the fatal blow to her head, and when he returned from MGE?

Have a good weekend all.

Love,

Caz X
                          Lots to think about there, Caz. Need to digest and reflect before responding.

Comment

If we believe Wallace was the killer, then why the phone call and why not just commit the murder on the Monday with the chess match as his alibi. A much better alibi in my opinion. The timings would be almost identical.

It has been suggested the invention of Qualtrough would throw the scent off Wallace - but it doesn't do that. And even if it might have, Beattie was convinced that the caller definitely was not Wallace and swore to that in Court.

It could not possibly have been Parry unless we believe that the Brine's were also involved in supplying a false alibi. I think that unlikely given it was the son that had a relationship with Parry, and the rest of the family knew him through the son.

If, as I do, we discount these two - we are left with an as yet unknown murderer either working alone or with someone else, possibly Parry.
                            hi Eten-yes of course-very much a possibility.

or Wallace believed the Q call would muddie things up and help strengthen his alibi and merely disguised his voice. the timing of the call at that call box right at the time he was passing it as he was going to the chess club strikes me.

Parry or someone else who knew him well enough and his habits did not need to bother or risk being seen at that call box to make the Q call. no need to make sure he had left the house and was on the way. they could have made it from anywhere knowing he hadn't got there yet. and they could have made it any time within reason earlier, not just when hes on his way.

Im afraid that call made at that box at that time just when Wallace would have been near it on the way to the chess club points IMHO clearly to Wallace.

it far too much of a coincidence and outweighs our reasons thinking the call would not help Wallace and the folks not recognizing the voice, in my mind.

speaking of coincidences, another coincidence involving Wallace is the door/lock business. as I mentioned before many killers of family members try to set things up so they don't find the body or don't find the body alone. Such a coincidence that on this night he cant get in and has trouble and not only this, but the second the neighbors show up-and bang hes in. little too convenient for me.

yes but then who is the person- and what is the circs and evidence(or at least a theory) that implicates them?

unless we have these then were just chasing phantoms.

Comment

Well certainly Wallace - whether guilty or not - was in dire need of some other suspect apart from himself. The husband is always going to be the prime suspect without evidence against anyone else. Clearly, Qualtrough served that purpose very well, being a mystery suspect. But was he and Wallace one and the same?

Also, the fact that Parry was obviously a wrong'un doesn't really help. If it's evidence that he had it in him to batter someone to death, it could also be seen as the reason Wallace named him to the police. Just as he needed Qualtrough as his alternative suspect, he needed someone who could be identified as a local bad boy, who knew the Wallaces and the City Cafe well enough to fit the bill. Parry, if not guilty, was extremely convenient for Wallace, regardless of who did kill Julia. If the whole thing was planned by Wallace, almost like a game of chess, he absolutely had to have someone just like Parry, who could be his Qualtrough too.

Does anyone find it a bit odd that when Beattie gave Wallace the address, as 25 Menlove Gardens East, Wallace initially repeated it as 25 Menlove Gardens West, before Beattie corrected him and said the caller had definitely said East? It's almost as though Wallace was having an uncanny premonition about the events of the following evening, 24 hours before he could - or should - have known there would be such significance attached to the difference between East and West!

The evidence suggests the front door was bolted from the inside when Wallace returned home, in which case his key would have been no use at all when he tried to unlock it. Assuming he didn't bolt the front door himself, before leaving via the back door [which was unbolted on his return but almost as stubborn as the front door had been], who did bolt it and when? Julia could not have let a visitor in through the front door without unbolting it, and dead women can't bolt doors after their killer has left. So any visitor that night must have come to the back door first, expecting Julia to invite them in, and must have left the same way after killing her in the parlour. I can't see any reason why either Julia or her killer would have bolted the front door after she had invited him in. If the killer bolted it to gain time, in case Wallace arrived back early, while he was still there, how would he know which door Wallace would try first? The first thing intruders usually do is to make sure they have a quick and easy exit, in case they are surprised. So I doubt the killer would have bolted either door against Wallace's possible return, and be left fumbling with it later, if Wallace entered by the other. Even worse if he bolted both doors, leaving himself trapped inside, not knowing if a frustrated Wallace was at the front or back of the house.

Have a good weekend all.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              Hi Caz

well thought out and I agree. I like the chess analogy too. Ive often wondered if someone like Parry could have thought this through like this-thinking many moves in advance. seems to be the type that would just go with knowing Wallace would be away at the chess club.

Wallace on the other hand being a chess player may have that type of mind set.

again-well thought out. however I don't place too much on the bolt/lock which door thing. I could see a non Wallace killer locking both doors after killing Julia, so hes not surprised by ANYONE while hes rifling through the house and cleaning up. Ithink that would far outweigh any thought by the killer of trapping HIMSELF in the house by locking both doors, if he even thought of that concern at all.

Comment

The bizarre Qualtrough story only ultimately cast suspicion on Wallace. There was a ready-made real suspect whom a guilty Wallace could have used. Wallace could have faked a break-in, and suspicion would have naturally fallen on the never-identified Anfield Housebreaker.

Wallace named lots of people to the Police, when they requested he list people who Julia might have admitted. How is Parry convenient to Wallace? He could not know Parry would not have a watertight alibi. And it turned out he did. Pretty in-convenient for Wallace actually, to rely on some random dude not having an alibi... And Wallace didn't come to really suspect Parry until long after, in any case. And he was still wrong. Or, in fact, only half-right.

Sometimes people mis-hear unexpected messages?

The killer entered through the front door and left via the back. He bolted the front door because he knew that would be the door that Wallace would certainly try first, on his return, and would probably knock when he found resistance. Just as Wallace in fact said he did.

Wallace or Julia can make any error you want them to make, I guess... to make him 'guilty'!

Have a good weekend all.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                As it happens, I'll probably be dealing with the Police and some locks. I'll be extra careful not to make any errors...
                                Last edited by RodCrosby; 11-23-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X