Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Non-Fiction: The Whitechapel Murders of 1888: Another Dead End? - by John Malcolm 51 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by PaulB 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (31 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (20 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (8 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (6 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 03-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Sergeant

Hi again Graham - my comment about the public campaign to gain a reprieve was based totally on the programme. Disappointing that the makers seem to have gone wrong there.

Your comment about Edith Thompson being ''almost the architect of her own downfall'' seems most apt.

Best regards,

OneRound
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:44 PM
Sergeant

Does anyone know why the William Herbert Wallace thread was closed? Sorry this isn't the appropriate forum, but I don't know where else to ask and OP was a big contributor there. That is unfortunate since one troll was ruining an excellent discussion... now apparently for good, for everyone else.

Anyway, I caught a few episodes on youtube and love this show. I found particularly interesting the Burtoft one and how it can relate to other cases, as it was insisted he would have had to have blood on him, but the reenactment showed this to be inaccurate.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:20 AM
Sergeant

No way should Thompson have been hanged, She was punished for committing adultery, she did not murder her husband, the judge made a moral judgement on her,also she was possibly pregnant, she was carried to her execution, which by accounts was horrific, I believe one of the wardresses who witnessed her execution committed suicide later.
Compare her treatment to that of an aristocratic woman, Elvira Barney, who shot and killed her lover in 1932, she was treated with a lot more compassion that the' lower class ' Edith. Barney was lucky to have the great advocate Patrick Hastings defending her. She was found not guilty of murder and manslaughter.
Mystery murder and family is an interesting concept, I have watched all of them and have tended to agree with the judge's conclusions. The programme is not long enough to go into detail. For instance there is a lot more circumstantial evidence linking Dickman to the murder of Nisbit than came out in the programme. He had a motive for stealing the money. Dickman was in debt, betting badly on the horses and had borrowed twenty pounds off a money lender with an interest rate of 60%. His wife had no housekeeping money, they had four pounds in the bank. Dickman had a separate address at a shop where he collected mail under the name of Black. The last thing Dickman collected from the shop was a parcel containing a revolver. He also lied about not knowing the location of the Isabella pit where the abandoned money bag was found. There is a lot more. On the whole he appears to have been guilty. Money troubles can make people desperate.

Miss Marple
Old 03-08-2018, 03:47 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
Does anyone know why the William Herbert Wallace thread was closed?
Hi AS,

I was surprised it hadn't been closed much sooner. It seemed to me that site rules were being broken all over the place with practically every new post. And not just by one individual.

In my experience it's always wiser not to rise to the bait and add to the risk of having a really interesting thread like our Wallace one closed - or worse, having one's posting privileges for all topics cut off in their prime.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 03-08-2018, 04:17 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Hi AS,

I was surprised it hadn't been closed much sooner. It seemed to me that site rules were being broken all over the place with practically every new post. And not just by one individual.

In my experience it's always wiser not to rise to the bait and add to the risk of having a really interesting thread like our Wallace one closed - or worse, having one's posting privileges for all topics cut off in their prime.

Love,

Caz
X
Caz,

I'm sorry but I feel despite whatever rules were broken from reactive, frustrated posts, and I was certainly guilty of that myself, that the root cause was a particular poster. And whenever that poster contributed en masse, it essentially shut down the conversation and made it impossible to not reply, since there would always be others who did reply, so you would be ignoring most of the posts.

The same pattern played itself out about a year ago and basically destroyed the fabric of the thread until the poster temporarily left, regardless of whether other poster took the bait or not. This time, I didn't hold back in terms of reactivity since the ignoring tactic did not seem to work in the past.

I think it's unfair that everyone be punished be for the actions of 1 person, when the thread was just fine without them.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:27 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi Miss Marple,

you're correct of course in suggesting that 'toffs' who could afford the best briefs had a better chance of getting away with murder than 'ordinary' people such as Edith Thompson. But not always, as a quick study of 20th century UK capital cases which resulted in death sentences will reveal.

On the other hand, sometimes it worked the opposite way: another of my 'favourite' cases is that of Tony Mancini of one of the Brighton Trunk Murders fame (there were two). Mancini was a thug and sometime gangster without two pennies to rub together, but he was incredibly lucky that the State appointed the services of Norman Birkett, ultimately one of the greatest advocates in English legal history. Birkett's defence of Mancini was little short of brilliant, and Mancini was acquitted, only years later to confess to the crime.

It was the hangman John Ellis who committed suicide, supposedly as a result of Edith Thompson's execution. It was rumoured that she was actually pregnant at the time.

Graham
Old 03-08-2018, 05:46 AM
Casebook Supporter

By my calculations, Edith would have been entering her fourth month of pregnancy when executed (assuming she was pregnant, and assuming she hadn't been 'got at' while in custody). Is it possible for a woman to be three months pregnant and not suspect it? With execution looming for both her and her child, she would hardly have kept quiet about it.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:15 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Plus of course the Law did not permit the execution of a pregnant woman, so you'd have thought that if she was pregnant and knew it, she'd have used that to get herself off the hook.

Graham
Old 03-08-2018, 07:41 AM
Casebook Supporter

You would have thought so, Graham.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Is it possible for a woman to be three months pregnant and not suspect it?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4325...uring-999-call