Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 5 hours ago.
Ripper Notes: Status of Ripper Notes? - by C. F. Leon 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by rjpalmer 10 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 12 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (11 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (2 posts)
Ripper Notes: Status of Ripper Notes? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Default Curious case of a H Division Bobby.........

Stumbled across this, whilst researching something else.

Thought is might be of interest..................

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...read#highlight

What was PC38HR Thomas WHITBREAD doing in A Division (I assume he must have been on duty)?

What is also interesting is that the only Thomas WHITBREAD I can find is 85434 Thomas WHITBREAD, joined 31.10.1898 M Division retired 23.01.1915 M Division. He'd also previously served during the Boer War.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:53 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...read#highlight

What was PC38HR Thomas WHITBREAD doing in A Division (I assume he must have been on duty)?
I note that he says that he saw her throw the stone, but nothing is said about his having arrested her. I do wonder if he was off-duty at the time, and just happened to witness the crime.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:02 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I note that he says that he saw her throw the stone, but nothing is said about his having arrested her. I do wonder if he was off-duty at the time, and just happened to witness the crime.

Have done a bit more digging into this case (and putting aside the fact that he didn't actually see her throwing the stone for a minute). From what I've been able to ascertain there was only one officer called Thomas WHITBREAD and he served his entire service in M Division? So I cannot account for why he has a H Division (reserve) collar number. However the fact that he was a reserve might suggest that he was transferred to A Division for some reason (I assume counter-suffragette activity). Although why he wasn't given a A Division number for this purpose is a puzzle, as surely working in A Division with a H Division number would attract attention, unless he was in plain clothes perhaps? I would suggest that he kept his number in the same why that Alfred LONG did in 1888, but the purposes for the reinforcement of bobbies during the Ripper period would I suspect be different than for the suffragette situation?

Certainly curious I wonder whether anything in the press might shine some light on it? As this was after all a high profile case.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:55 PM
Chief Inspector

Famous names, certainly. Interesting link, Cat, thank you! "A mighty conspiracy"-- indeed! Lol...
---------------
Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 AM

There was nothing unusual about an officer from one division being on duty in another division, especially in Central London, where it wouldn't have attracted any attention. A single division simply didn't have the resources to police large meetings, marches or demonstrations, so men were often called in from all over London to assist on such occasions.

During the evening of 21 November 1911, from about 8pm, there was a demonstration organised by the Women's Social and Political Union outside the Houses of Parliament. Over 200 arrests were made in a two hour period. The number of officers policing the demonstration can be gauged from the report of the demo in the next morning's Guardian:

"…all the approaches to the House were guarded and double guarded by thick hedges of men. The roadway by St Margaret's had not only a treble line but some mounted men also who took the first brunt of the attack. By Old Palace Yard there was another embattled line, and all the minor approaches had their defences. It was not surprising therefore that with one exception none of the women even got near the doors of the House."

PC Thomas Whitbread arrested Sarah Bennett at shortly before 8pm on 21 November 1911 in Parliament Street, having seen her throw a stone, which broke a window of the offices of the London and North Western Railway (after she had unsuccessfully attempted to smash a window of the Aerated Bread Company's shop with another stone).

As it happens, the Proceedings of the Central Criminal Court contains an error: Thomas Whitbread was PC 38MR not HR.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
There was nothing unusual about an officer from one division being on duty in another division, especially in Central London, where it wouldn't have attracted any attention. A single division simply didn't have the resources to police large meetings, marches or demonstrations, so men were often called in from all over London to assist on such occasions.

During the evening of 21 November 1911, from about 8pm, there was a demonstration organised by the Women's Social and Political Union outside the Houses of Parliament. Over 200 arrests were made in a two hour period. The number of officers policing the demonstration can be gauged from the report of the demo in the next morning's Guardian:

"…all the approaches to the House were guarded and double guarded by thick hedges of men. The roadway by St Margaret's had not only a treble line but some mounted men also who took the first brunt of the attack. By Old Palace Yard there was another embattled line, and all the minor approaches had their defences. It was not surprising therefore that with one exception none of the women even got near the doors of the House."

PC Thomas Whitbread arrested Sarah Bennett at shortly before 8pm on 21 November 1911 in Parliament Street, having seen her throw a stone, which broke a window of the offices of the London and North Western Railway (after she had unsuccessfully attempted to smash a window of the Aerated Bread Company's shop with another stone).

As it happens, the Proceedings of the Central Criminal Court contains an error: Thomas Whitbread was PC 38MR not HR.
Not so curious then after all. Still an interesting case mind.